User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Small Companys

I'm attending a driving school now (first week) and one of my instructor says that a friend of theirs has a new company they justs started up and has arnd 20 trucks...but they will only send the top student or students there for the interview.

I told them i was VERY interested in this position and i would work hard to achieve their goal of "Head of the class".

This is also a Local driving job..thats almost impossible to get coming right out of a school from what i have read here and else where....

what i was wanting to know from you vet drivers is what would be red flags about this or is there any red flags to worry about?

What question should i be asking?

Thank Sp33dbump
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Small Companys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dbump
I'm attending a driving school now (first week) and one of my instructor says that a friend of theirs has a new company they justs started up and has arnd 20 trucks...but they will only send the top student or students there for the interview.

I told them i was VERY interested in this position and i would work hard to achieve their goal of "Head of the class".

This is also a Local driving job..thats almost impossible to get coming right out of a school from what i have read here and else where....

what i was wanting to know from you vet drivers is what would be red flags about this or is there any red flags to worry about?

What question should i be asking?

Thank Sp33dbump
biggest problem with small companies is that a lot of times, they cant afford to give you good benefits. they usually treat you better though
Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Board Regular

Definitely look into the new local company. Check into their benefits package as compared to some of the big boys. Remember too that if you can find out the name of the company you don't have to be referred by the school, there is nothing wrong with walking in and applying in person! You may be able to get in on the ground floor of a company and be the "old timer' in just a few years!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Board Regular

The smaller company I worked for knew my name but had smaller resources to keep the equipment in better shape. I was driving old trucks that had issues like weaker jake brakes and exhaust leakes. I was picked on by DOT, they saw my old truck coming and I got inspected many times. Thank God they didn't look too hard.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Benefits of a smaller company-

They know you by name.
You may be able to get extra days off and other perks you can't get woth the big boys.
You get to know the owners and management and your concerns are likely to be heard.

Negatives-
Usually pay is not as high.
Benefits, ie health insurance, is bad.. They lack the buying power to negotiate cheaper rates.
Negligible retirement contributions.
Equipment tends to be older and not rotated out when the miles get too high.
Most importantly.......Most small businesses don't last a year.

So if you're looking for solid job security with good benefits and a retirement, the new small company may not be the way to go.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Small Company

How is pay conveyed and are drivers employees or ICs. At the end of the year will a W-2 show up or will it be a 1099? 1099 may not be a good thing. BOL
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Small Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
How is pay conveyed and are drivers employees or ICs. At the end of the year will a W-2 show up or will it be a 1099? 1099 may not be a good thing. BOL
Being 1099ed is almost never a good thing. You're giving up all the rights and protections of an employee and get to pay the hidden half of social security.

I can't think of a scenario where a new driver just starting out could come out ahead as an "independent" contractor. Most of of the time its a rigged game thats heads I win tails you lose for the employer. CRE, Prime, FedEx Ground etc, etc etc all run this racket.

Now if you actually own your equipment it can be a different ball game.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM

I haven't got much info yet on this place, So far all i know is that he has 20 trucks and if i would get hired on i would be running from Ford plant to Ford Plant nightly runs.

Beneifits are a big concern for me and i don't want to be a IC and get a 1099 at the end of the year...that i do know..but on the other hand i don't want to pass up a local job either...

tommorrow i head back to class and i will see if i can get a location of the place and maybe check it out or talk to someone there...hopefully instructor will give me some more info..justs don't know how to word questions without being a pest about it.....i'll update this as soon as i get some more info..

Thank for the advice and info everyone!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Board Regular

Small vrs Large Company

All companies started off small at one time in their history. So being a small company does not mean it will close down within a year. If they are money smart, they can make it.

Maintenances of Equipments I found the smaller were better for me. Yes they had older equipment but if a Problem comes up it was repaired with less headaches.

Insurances Most will not fit all drivers. Last companies policy was great for some, but they refused to pay 90% of my claims. So I was paying for something I could not really use.

Most small companies will require experiences though, many will not have the ability to give you the further training you need in starting up. School only gives you the basics.

Good Luck out there....
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 AM

On thrusday i was last to drive for the day and the trainer told other student to watch me shift and after i drove around and made some turns she said your ready to get working and again asked if i still wanted a local job ...I said yes i'm very interested and she replied but you have to finish the school first and i was like np there...then she goes on to say that she will give that company a call and reserve me a spot and she will give me the phone number to talk to the owner and find out more info...

I'm pretty geeked about this and i really hope it does happen i'm just not trying to get my hopes up to much...next day i see one of his trucks and it looked decent I believe its a freightliner,coventioanl.white with company name across the top...

i still got 2 weeks left and wednesday of next week we are going to a college that is going to have recuiters come in and try to talk us into going with them...(this school cert comes with signature of training school and signature of president of a local college too) so i'll get college credit also...maybe this will help...

I live in detroit area and this is description i got from trainer..
this job is running from ford plant to ford plant ,would this be linehaul job?
and what would a rookie like me start out making?