User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dump truck semi's

I've been wondering if pulling dirt would be a good idea, seems like something I may be interested in. I would stay local w/ a daycab. Does anyone know any trucking companies that do this? I checked the front page that says the different companies, and it listed tanker, dry van, reefer, car haulers, but no dump trucks? Anyone have any idea how much this type of job pays? any names of companies I could look for?

thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Umm.. may be helpful if you posted where you are located
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Rookie
Default Always looking for Gravel/Asphalt Haulers!

I own a brokerage based in Michigan and we are always looking for Owner/Operators for our Gravel/Asphalt work. We are currently operating in the State of Michigan but are looking to expand our operations out of state. Let me know what location you are in and I can give you more info. Thanks!
Emina LLC.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by floored
Umm.. may be helpful if you posted where you are located
I live in central FL.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Rookie

I currently drive for CCC Transportation (They are part of COMCAR). It's a low paying job, but they took me right out of school with 0 experience. I'm 24 years old, been driving for a couple yrs, since I was 21. Now I'm getting more experienced I wish to move on, possibly to be a dump truck owner/operator. I would have chose the straight box dump truck, but I already have tractor/trailer experience and a Class A CDL so why not drive those? I could make more money with a heavier vehicle right?

My company offers a program where you can purchase your own truck with their financing, and they'll cut you a deal where they sell it to you for cheaper than blue book. The truck I have is very reliable, it's a 2002 daycab mack. I've driven it for almost 3 yrs now and put 300k miles on the odo, with only 1 small mechanical problem. It's up to 500k on the odometer and still running strong. If i were to purchase this company truck, and become an owner operator, then work to pay it off, once it's totally paid for, I can go anywhere I wish with my own truck, and this is a truck I've had for the past couple years of my life. If I'm going to become an owner/operator, at least I'll know this one has been well taken care of.

So then all will be left to do, would be to go and find a used dump-truck trailer, and i'll be totally owner/operator. Just looking for some companies that would get me some loads. And looking for some info if this is a good idea or not? How's the pay for pulling dirt around? Doesn't seem like a very expensive product, but I see dump trucks all over the place, so I suppose there may be a large demand.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Rookie

I know atleast in Michigan they way the rate set-up works differs. We may bid a construction job by the yard or ton hauled in and out and often we run by the hour. Trains (10axle lead & pup) 100hr, Quad axle (steel or aluminum) 70-80hr depending on the area of Michigan we are running in. Tri-axle's make the least 60-65hr. We always try to match the hourly rate when we are bidding by the ton and yard for a project but sometimes unforseen trouble on the job can prevent you from reaching what you want to make by the hour. I know Florida's market can be tough for gravel O/O but I would be happy to help you locate work if you decided that this is what you wanted to do.
Emina LLC.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Regular

Hey Mark, i've talked to you before i believe, anyway right now is not the time to get in to a dump truck business, just look around the state and see how many trucks are going up for sale, rock and other commodities have taken a dive since housing has slowed down, and you've got companies like Jason's hauling, and Patco coming in and undercutting everyone, owner operators especially, and driving them out of business. The thought of buying a truck is not the thing to be doing right now, if you had a truck with no payment, maybe that would be a different story, but having to come up with a truck payment at the end of the month, all the while trying to be cut throat just to stay afloat right now, not the best of ideas. I had a friend of mine try out this whole idea about 6 months ago, he's young also like you and i, and he folded in a matter of 2 months, saw it almost impossible to stay afloat, i'm not telling you to stay where you're at by no means, but stay far, far away from getting in to business for yourself right now, central florida is just not supporting the industry right now.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersod215

Well, if I became an owner/operator for my company, I'd wait at least a year or two before I actually get the whole truck paid off, so hopefully by then the market will be better. Our loads havn't changed at the company we work for. I haul anheuser busch beer around all day, and let's face it, people in FL love to drink, no matter how bad the housing market may be.

In 1-2 yrs from now, maybe the dump truck business will pick back up again, if not I can always take my Mack truck and become an O/O for another company. There's plenty of companies in FL who want O/O to pull their loads around.... or so I think, am I right? Sound like a good idea?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Board Icon

Def wait Mark, you want to get in when everything is moving, rock, dirt, asphalt, sand. Right now, seems only asphalt and dirt are moving and dirt doesn't pay much but it can pay the bills if need be. Have no idea on how asphalt pay works out. Neighbor hauls dirt right now for a small company in VA, makes about $500 a week, not enough if he were an O/O around here.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Wow! Even in a Tri-axle Dump you should make $500 minimum per day! Asphalt is , of course the highest paying rates if you own a Flowboy but those run around $100,000-175,000. The rates in Michigan vary. Tri-Axle Dumps run for 60-65 per hr, Leads run for 75-85per hr and Trains run from 95-105.00per hr depending on what part of Michigan we are working in. A train should make (to make money) between 900-1000 dollars a day or better. It's a tough market but there is money to be made in it. My suggestion, get a truck that you can make universal...dirt...gravel...asphalt....Alot of guys won't do anything but dirt or gravel and if you put a lip on your truck (pan/chute) you can do shoulder work/asphalt. You won't be sitting home when the dirt job isn't going because the site is too muddy if you know what I mean!
Good Luck!
Emina LLC.
[email protected]
[email protected]