User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default USF

Hey everyone.. I was just wondering if anyone had good or bad information about USF Holland. Looking at possibly filling out an app with them. I know a few people who work there that say its really good. Also just like anywhere there was a few I talked to that said they didnt like it. However I always take what someone says with a grain of salt. Everyone is different.8) I always believe what one might enjoy might not always be another mans cup of tea. Most drivers I have talked to love it there.. If yall have any input good or bad that would be greatly appreciate.. Drive safe yall.. See ya on down the big road... :lol:
Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Board Regular

They're teamsters, so expect some crappy runs until you move up, but then you probably got it made.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I haven't heard anything bad from the couple drivers I have talked to. I have a question though. USF trucks, as well as some other LTL companies have some pretty ratty looking trucks and trailers. Are they on a longer trade term then most companies, or are they really well maintained and the bodies don't last as long as the drivetrains. Is that how they are able to pay so well, by saving money on equipment and just spending it on maintainence.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I haven't heard anything bad from the couple drivers I have talked to. I have a question though. USF trucks, as well as some other LTL companies have some pretty ratty looking trucks and trailers. Are they on a longer trade term then most companies, or are they really well maintained and the bodies don't last as long as the drivetrains. Is that how they are able to pay so well, by saving money on equipment and just spending it on maintainence.
They pay more than OTR because they charge more. LTL is a very labor intensive, high overhead operation compared to OTR. The drivers are more interested in pay and bennies than a shiny truck. The guy driving that crappy truck makes around .54 mile with two years of seniority. And he's not sleeping in it, and his log book is 100% legal. The worst part of any LTL company is getting a little seniority. It can be rough at the bottom. Some guys cant hold out and have to get full time employment. You almost need a nest egg or a second income while you are getting started to get you thru the layoffs. Then you're home free. 60-90k a year depending on how hard you want to work. If you feel you want to try it all these companies top out around .53-.54 mile:

Fedex Freight (not ground)
UPS Freight
Conway
Yellow
Roadway
USF Holland
ABF

Fair warning though, its not easy, I have been laid off by both Yellow and Conway. I have worked the dock when its 2 degrees outside, I sat by the phone on call, I've been sent home for lack of work. The driving is usually all nite. If there is a day run it goes to senior drivers. Its not for everyone. These are considered good jobs and guys will put up with alot to get them. Senior guys dont leave until retirement. Now, knock on wood, I'm working steady at UPS Freight and love it there.

Holland is a good company but their drivers probably stay out the longest, usually all week. Yellow, Roadway, and ABF are 1-2 nites at a time 7/24. Alot of Fedex, UPSF, and Conway are home daily and off weekends, especially in the eastern half, which is how I prefer it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Rookie

I have a question about usf also would there minneapolis terminal be union then also.?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano2006
I have a question about usf also would there minneapolis terminal be union then also.?
USF has many divisions. USF Holland is union here in the east, not sure about the west which is USF Reddaway. I know they also have a truckload division (USF Glen Moore) that does not pay as well as LTL.

http://www.usfc.com/usfc/home/index.jsp
Old 04-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Board Regular

All I know about them is that during the day their P&D guys drive trucks that don't even look like they would pass a state inspection and the drivers are making 17+ an hour.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Board Member

USF is a YRC company now (Yellow). USF Glenn Moore doesn't pay the same as the rest of the USF system because Glenn Moore is the Owner-Operator division.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I work for YRC (Roadway) great company, like snowman said your prone to get laid off. Yes. all of USF LTL is teamsters.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I I have a question though. USF trucks, as well as some other LTL companies have some pretty ratty looking trucks and trailers.

I work for Yellow,-- Next time you see a Yellow driver- ASK him when was the last time his truck was washed.

Are they on a longer trade term then most companies, or are they really well maintained and the bodies don't last as long as the drivetrains.[/quote]
We were told about 5 months ago that the turn on NEWER (not new) trucks 10 years old or older. BUT since we aqquired Roadway, we were told that we have to wait even longer because Roadways equipment is so bad that they have equipment still on the road from the early 80's

Is that how they are able to pay so well, by saving money on equipment and just spending it on maintainence.[/quote]
yellow trys not to fix anything if they can help it. If it's a major you will have to kick and scream to get it down. Otherwise you will have to get on your knees and you know what, to get anything else done. 1 thing to remember is the less managers spend on maintence or repairs the bigger thier bonuses are. Rumor was our Operations shift supervisor received an 8k bonus last year