User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Orientation at Arrow on Feb. 12th........

First off thanks to everyone on here for all the posts, it's made for some awesome reading/learning. I've learned flatbedding is slow right now but picks up soon, I guess starting slow isn't a bad thing. I have a bunch of questions, anyone who has any answers, I sure appreciate it. I start orientation at Arrow on 2/12 and will be long haul.............

Does Arrow let you idle the truck while you sleep?

Does the training take a flat 4 weeks or is it done when the trainer decides you are ready?

I know practically every load gets tarped, do you do this tarping inside or out? I spent a lifetime in Minnesota so I could care less about the cold, just curious about how to spread a frozen tarp on a windy day if it's outside :shock:

Should I buy a frig, tv, microwave etc etc? and if so, I've learned that I need an inverter, does any old inverter work? I am guessing Walmart?

If my wife gets her CDL and we drive team, how much down time is there or is the truck supposed to be moving 24/7 ?

I've worked 3rd shift all my life and plan to do the same while driving. What are the pros/cons to driving all night as opposed to day?

We plan to drive our as*es off for a couple years, take every possible run, keep a clean record and then transfer to a gas hauler like Texas Transeastern that offers a 4 day work week, 12 hour days, home every night. So I'll be sure to keep my nose clean so this is possible.

Dropped a load on everyone, sorry bout that any help or advice is appreciated by us both. Everyone be safe!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Orientation at Arrow on Feb. 12th........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnelson94
Should I buy a frig, tv, microwave etc etc? and if so, I've learned that I need an inverter, does any old inverter work? I am guessing Walmart?

If my wife gets her CDL and we drive team, how much down time is there or is the truck supposed to be moving 24/7 ?

I've worked 3rd shift all my life and plan to do the same while driving. What are the pros/cons to driving all night as opposed to day?
Buying a frig and microwave will definitely save you some as cash, because eating out on the road can be expensive and unhealthy. You will need 2 check with Arrow on what size inverter they allow on their trucks. Companies tend to be cautious about inverters because trucks have caught on fire in the past from being overloaded.

You and your wife may want to consider running "super-single". You will basically run for about 18 hours a day and park for the other 6 hours. This will allow you both to get some "quality sleep time" in.

Driving at night: Advantages Less traffic on the road, majority of scale-houses will be closed, real easy to find parking spaces at truck stops and rest areas during the day.

Disadvantages reduced visibility (more likely 2 hit deer or other animals, harder to see road signs especially on smaller county or state highways), More likely to run into "black ice" as road temps will be lower at night.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

thank you for all that, awful nice of you to take the time to explain things. Can I hook up the inverter or is it something for a mechanic to do?
Guess it's obvious I am a greenhorn ops:
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
thank you for all that, awful nice of you to take the time to explain things.

Can I hook up the inverter or is it something for a mechanic to do?

It would be best to have the power inverter and the CB installed (if your truck is not already wired for CB) at your company's maintenance and repair facility. Either one of those things being installed incorrectly can potentially cause extensive damage.

Nothing to be embarrassed about there!!! That is one of the reasons this board exists!! Remember: The only "stupid" question is the one that you don't ask!! We all want to see you do well!!

BTW, Welcome to CAD!!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
thank you for all that, awful nice of you to take the time to explain things. Can I hook up the inverter or is it something for a mechanic to do?
Once again this is something you need to talk to the company about, but if you do not know what you are doing, and you get a large inverter (over 400 watts) that has to be direct wired to the batteries then you will be a lot better off getting a mechanic to do it.

Most companies that allow the larger inverters are more than willing to put them in for you, free or for a very low fee.

If you plan on running a microwave you will need at leat a 1000 watt inverter (for a 5-600 watt micro) but a 1500 watt inverter will be much better.

As far as buying stuff though, wait until you are in your own truck. That way you will know what you can have and have room for.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Default Re: Orientation at Arrow on Feb. 12th........

Quote:
First off thanks to everyone on here for all the posts, it's made for some awesome reading/learning. I've learned flatbedding is slow right now but picks up soon, I guess starting slow isn't a bad thing. I have a bunch of questions, anyone who has any answers, I sure appreciate it. I start orientation at Arrow on 2/12 and will be long haul.............

Does Arrow let you idle the truck while you sleep?
Yes, but it will effect your fuel mileage and Arrow run the 65 + 5 on the governor, which means you have to get a set MPG to run 70. Also they pay for Idle aire so you do not have to idle if there is Idle aire available whne you get ready to park.

Does the training take a flat 4 weeks or is it done when the trainer decides you are ready?
Your trainer will make the choice of how long you need to be trained at Arrow, but the average is 3-4 weeks

I know practically every load gets tarped, do you do this tarping inside or out? I spent a lifetime in Minnesota so I could care less about the cold, just curious about how to spread a frozen tarp on a windy day if it's outside :shock:
Most tarping happens outside and if it makes you feel better I was there for about 6 months and I only tarped 4 loads while I was there.

Buying these items as stated earlier will save you money in the long run because it will keep you out of the truckstops more. But do not buy this stuff till you get your rig.

If it was me I would run as a super single so that way the truck is stopped so you and your wife can get some good sleep or even just get out of the truck for a little while. Trust me when I say that the truck can get very small after being in it for a good while.

I can not really say on that because I always get up at 3 AM and start my day so I do not have to deal with a lot of traffic.

We plan to drive our as*es off for a couple years, take every possible run, keep a clean record and then transfer to a gas hauler like Texas Transeastern that offers a 4 day work week, 12 hour days, home every night. So I'll be sure to keep my nose clean so this is possible.

Dropped a load on everyone, sorry bout that any help or advice is appreciated by us both. Everyone be safe!!

I hope this helps you at a little.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Rookie

thanks again for the replies, especially you knightwolf, I really appreciate your time. That was great news that you only tarped 4 loads in 6 months, I was shocked. Maybe I was misinformed somewhere along the line.
Does Arrow spend alot of time in any one part of the country or are they all over the lower 48?

Oh, and Useless, thanks for the welcome, I appreciate the well wishes :wink:
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Rookie

I thought of another question :idea: imagine that!! :shock:

I am going out for 4 weeks of training starting the 12th, if I bring 3-4 pairs of jeans, 3-4 sweatshirts a couple t-shirts and all the bathroom basics, is that good? I read another post on how truckers wear their underwear 4 days at a time, :shock: turn them around, then inside out, the around around again......no, that won't be happening here.

Anybody have any idea if Arrow spends anytime in Houston? That's close enough to home, my wife could drive up to visit me.

Lastly, if a guy really busts his butt, never turns down a load, what is a good figure to shoot for for 1st year income? TMC says 1st year guys can make $60,000 or so if I read right.......I realize Arrow is not TMC but if I can get anywhere in the neighborhood I'd be doing backflips.

Thanks again any/every one, I appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Rookie

I would take at least seven days worth of clothes, 7 jeans, shirts, socks an so forth. Also you might want to consider getting some coveralls since flatbedding can be dirty work. As far as pay goes, it depends on what they start you out at. But for a single driver who works his tail off, you should get around 3000 miles a week. So you figure if they start you out at 30cpm thats $900 a week.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Rookie