User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CFI Training Pay Question (Student fresh outta school)

So I'm in CDL school at Houston Community College and my instructor says he used to work for CFI several years ago and loved them, good equipment and good pay. So I check into CFI. The recuiter (Teresa) says that after the week of orientation ($100 after day 1 and $300 at completion), I will be assigned a trainer and that I will drive approx 7500 miles (3+ wks) @ .26cpm. .26cpm seems pretty good considering that most other companies hiring nuubs like me only offer about $350/wk and that's before any payroll deductions. If I figure it right, I could possibley be making (under perfect circumstances) $650 per week while training.

I know I'm missing something. What should I be asking to see that it's all on the up and up?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

CFI seems to have a decent reputation. IMHO, their pay scale for newbies i a little low.

Starting Pay:
.26cpm while out with a trainer (2-3 weeks, 7500 miles driven with trainer)
.28cpm when you upgrade to your own company truck
.30cpm at 60,000-89,999
.32cpm at 90,000-119,999
.35cpm at 120,000-124,999
.36cpm at 125,000+

However, it is practical miles and the have some decent "bennies" for drivers such as free XM radio, they allow inverters, pets, etc......look at www.cfidrivers.com for more info.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: CFI Training Pay Question (Student fresh outta school)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTim
So I'm in CDL school at Houston Community College and my instructor says he used to work for CFI several years ago and loved them, good equipment and good pay. So I check into CFI. The recuiter (Teresa) says that after the week of orientation ($100 after day 1 and $300 at completion), I will be assigned a trainer and that I will drive approx 7500 miles (3+ wks) @ .26cpm. .26cpm seems pretty good considering that most other companies hiring nuubs like me only offer about $350/wk and that's before any payroll deductions. If I figure it right, I could possibley be making (under perfect circumstances) $650 per week while training.

I know I'm missing something. What should I be asking to see that it's all on the up and up?
I was in the last group to not have to go through Crowder (Jan 06) so I had to run 10k miles with a trainer. I ended up running 12k miles cause I would have been 6 miles short of 10k (they went by the dispatched miles for that truck) when we got back to Joplin (talk about being pissed :evil: ) so I had to go back out. It took 3 weeks to run 12k miles. I dont want to give you false hope cause I dont know how your trainer will want to run, but I took home $800 a week while training. You probably wont run that hard cause my trainer was a greedy pr**k. Your $650/week guess is probably more accurate.

They pay every 2 weeks... this was my best check when I was solo with them...

Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: CFI Training Pay Question (Student fresh outta school)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTim

I was in the last group to not have to go through Crowder (Jan 06) so I had to run 10k miles with a trainer. I ended up running 12k miles cause I would have been 6 miles short of 10k (they went by the dispatched miles for that truck) when we got back to Joplin (talk about being pissed :evil: ) so I had to go back out. It took 3 weeks to run 12k miles. I dont want to give you false hope cause I dont know how your trainer will want to run, but I took home $800 a week while training. You probably wont run that hard cause my trainer was a greedy pr**k. Your $650/week guess is probably more accurate.

They pay every 2 weeks... this was my best check when I was solo with them...

I'd say that's not too bad.....1100+ gross a week.....but you say that is your best....what was the worst and more importantly....what was the "average"?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

My worst was right before I quit (personal reasons) and I only got about 2500 miles/week. My average was around 3000+ a week the whole time I was there but keep in mind I was on the national fleet... regional wont get that many miles, probably 2000 to 2500/wk.

BTW... it was about 1000/wk. Look at the reimbursements. Thats for tolls and showers (all are payed back).
Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
CFI seems to have a decent reputation. IMHO, their pay scale for newbies i a little low.

Starting Pay:
.26cpm while out with a trainer (2-3 weeks, 7500 miles driven with trainer)
.28cpm when you upgrade to your own company truck
.30cpm at 60,000-89,999
.32cpm at 90,000-119,999
.35cpm at 120,000-124,999
.36cpm at 125,000+

However, it is practical miles and the have some decent "bennies" for drivers such as free XM radio, they allow inverters, pets, etc......look at www.cfidrivers.com for more info.
Hi, Devildice!!

You seem to be very keenly focused upon cents per mile; now, I not suggesting that CPM isn't important, but I do hope that you are not overlooking other equally important factors such as the company's trackrecord in regards to quality of training, on safety, quality of equipment and dedication to proper maintenance, sound management structure, and average miles per week.

Overall, when you look at all of those issues separately and cumulatively, I think that you will find that CFI outranks most of the competition, and certainly other companies that employ new drivers.

Just another "Useless" point to consider!!
8)
Old 01-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Take heed of the not-so-useless Useless. :P He speak-um truth! :lol:

Dont forget the other part of "CPM" is the miles. You could make $.50 CPM but if your only getting 1000 miles a week its really not that much is it? :wink:
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Hi, Devildice!!

You seem to be very keenly focused upon cents per mile; now, I not suggesting that CPM isn't important, but I do hope that you are not overlooking other equally important factors such as the company's track record quality of training, on safety, quality of equipment and dedication to proper maintenance, sound management structure, and average miles per week.

Overall, when you look at all of those issues separately and cumulatively, I think that you will find that CFI outranks most of the competition, and certainly other companies that employ new drivers.

Just another "Useless" point to consider!!
8)
Useless,

I could not agree with you more.....and one thing that attracts me to CFI besides their reputation is the driver "bennies" they have....such as but not limited to, inverters, pet policy, good home time, free XM radio, driver treatment...to name a few
Old 01-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I could not agree with you more.....and one thing that attracts me to CFI besides their reputation is the driver "bennies" they have....such as but not limited to, inverters, pet policy, good home time, free XM radio, driver treatment...to name a few
Sir, please step away from the Dry Van, the flatbeds are over here.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:

Sir, please step away from the Dry Van, the flatbeds are over here.
:lol: