User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Recommendations for two guys interested in Team Driving

Hello everyone,

My friend and I have had an interest in tractor trailer driving for a few years and in a year when we both turn 21 we are looking at becoming team drivers. We have been looking at Schnieder just because they seem to have a good reputation, state there is 98% no touch frieght and they are well known but from looking at posts, it seems to be considered one of the lower paying companies. For two young guys eager to drive the country as team drivers we are looking for opinions and recommendations. We are planning on living in the Los Angeles, CA area while we are employed. Thanks for your help and safe travels.

-Scanneraddict21
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

At 21 your options are going to be limited. Also do mot limit yourself to the big companies. Check with companies in your area. You might find something you would never dream of.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Hope you don't have to pay rent for a place in LA while on the road. Not only is it one of the priciest places to live, you'll never se it for more than 2 days a month! :lol:

But, if you and your friend haven't killed each other by now, you'll be fine teaming
Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Two Guys Team Driving

"when we both turn 21" Some companies don't hire until newb wannabes are 23 or 25.
"98% no touch freight" that leaves 2%. Let's say a company has 5000 loads per day, 2% is say... 100 loads. Do you feel lucky?
"planning on living in the Los Angeles, Ca" Why? Rent's sky high, you won't be there that often, and you pay state income tax. If you have a choice of places to live, choose a no state income tax state like Nevada, Tennessee, Florida, etc. But you won't see those places much either. BOL
Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
and in a year when we both turn 21 we are looking at becoming team drivers.
while you are "waiting", do your research on the industry and companies......then do some more research.

Learn as much as you can from this side of the fence before you jump over to the other side. Make sure you have a good grasp on what you are about to embark on.

Then when you think you have learned all you can from this side, do some more research.

Did I mention research?

BOL
Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM

it's going to be very hard for you guys to find a good company that will give you good miles and no touch freight. first of all, both of you are going to have to go through training, which means poor pay. you guys being so young should try going to a place like Mclane or Sysco; some foodservice distributors require very little or no experience and you can make good money while you obtain some experience. that's what i did, and now 3 yrs later i'm an owner operator with FedEx ground.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I hope you guys are used to living and working together...frustration can run high and so can tempers. Most new drivers arent used to realities till your OTR for a few months. When you have no idae when you will be home and have long, straining runs tempers tend to flare. the closer you get to completion of a run the better the temper :wink:
Old 11-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Two Guys Team Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
"when we both turn 21" Some companies don't hire until newb wannabes are 23 or 25.
"98% no touch freight" that leaves 2%. Let's say a company has 5000 loads per day, 2% is say... 100 loads. Do you feel lucky?
"planning on living in the Los Angeles, Ca" Why? Rent's sky high, you won't be there that often, and you pay state income tax. If you have a choice of places to live, choose a no state income tax state like Nevada, Tennessee, Florida, etc. But you won't see those places much either. BOL
A PO Box can be a legal residence address in the Silver State.

You might want to find an smaller company or O/O who pays % of the load. The guy who trained me at Con-Way and his wife were making $2500-3000 week doing hot team loads before she got sick of truck stops and the irregular sleep schedule and they hung it up. They both had zero experience.

Do a search of old postings on here; Some companies that rock for solos (Crete) can suck for Teams or vise versa (Covenant). Con-Way truckload, Landspan & CRST are also worth looking at.

Best of Luck

Ian
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Rookie

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

As far as my friend and I go, we have been great friends since middle school and have spent a lot of time traveling together the longest time was two weeks driving cross country from NY to CA and back. I am not worried about having any kinds of problems as team drivers.

Currently we are both in the thinking stages of this whole idea and we have considered about going out to CA but obviously the biggest negatives about living out there was stated, high rent, and we wouldn't be there enough for it to really be worth it. Those two factors are really pushing me away from the idea completely.

Our reason for considering truck driving is the fact we love driving and have always had respect for the truck drivers who keep our country going.

Back to the point I want to make. I will look into local trucking opportunities such as Sysco that was stated earlier in this thread. I actually talked to a trucker on the CB last night who has only had 8 months driving experience and is driving for JB Hunt at $.40/mile which sounded really good. I also know some friends with relatives who drive for JB Hunt who are making a good living.

Now that I am finished with my essay I will leave some room for others to chirp in. :lol:
Old 11-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

if you truly want to drive team you r n a good place even though your both young as can be. companies r n great need of teams. i wouldnt be surpised after you both have a year exp some companies going the extra step necessary to get you through the insurance company rules. in a place that would normally require you to be older. never hurts to try.
a solo driver can make well into the high 30s low 40scpm per mile most adds i see are less then that of solo so the profit must be great.