User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Auto Transport

I have the opportunity to be an auto transport driver here in my hometown of Great Falls, MT. The co. is called Big Sky Auto Transport.

I've never done auto transport, and to be honest, it looks hard as hell. The owner made the deal sound really good, almost too good to be true good. It pays on percentage. 21% at first, (after my $600 week training pay for a month at least), and then 23% later on. He said the average loads are worth 5k to 6k. So that's around $1500 a trip. Which takes a week usually. I will primarily run to So Cal, (which sucks imho), and Arizona and Nevada. Does anybody here haul auto's, and could you please give me some insight into this career.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Board Icon

I dont know anything about car hauling,but I have seen some sweet trucks hauling cars. Lots of lights. Man,some of those car haulers got more lights than cow haulers. Ive seen some 379s used for hauling cars,and the're low riders lol.(Im assuming that they lower those trucks..?..).Id hate to pay for the straights when they have to bend them and stuff so they can fit around that "thing" thats on top of the cab.

That doesnt sound to bad of a run. Well,I guess it is a good stretch if youre from Montana. I think most car haulers,like boat haulers run from coast to coast. Literally :shock:
Old 07-08-2006, 09:45 PM

All of his trucks were out. So I wasn't able to see them. He said they're always busy as hell. He started with one truck ten years ago, now he has six. One of them is brand new, and on order.I'll get the older one I'm sure, but oh well.

Another thing he said is that I have to bring some tools on board in case I have any "small" repairs on the road I can repair myself. All the trucks have back up belts and hoses I guess. I've changed many belts and hoses and what not on four wheelers before. But never on a big rig. Not much harder I'm sure. Just think it's a little odd to have to be a light duty mech also. I'm sure most of the old boys had to be mechanics all the time back in the day though. :lol:

And the co. has paid health insurance after 6 month probation period.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Default If you

If you are not scared of a little work car hauling pays better money than most other areas of trucking. I am a car hauler and what you are saying that this guy is saying is about right. Also he is willing to pay you for training, there are very few companies that pay you for training. There are even a few companies that charge you for the training on car hauling. But I am doing about what this guy says he is paying. I make a good living at this, only diffence is that I am home pretty much everynight. I hope this helps if you have any questions you can pm me and I will answer them as best I can for you.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Default Re: If you

Thanks knightwolf! I might have to send you a PM once in a while...

I do have a couple questions already though. :lol:

How do you typically load, trucks on top I guess? How high do you get with trucks on top? And what's the worst, and best parts of the job.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Default i recommend bavarian motor transport

i worked for them for 8 months a while ago... drivers make 70- 90000 a year.. make top dollar once you complete training at the greer, sc bmw plant.. i made 1300 a week running 5 days. 2 weeks after being on my own, i ran into one of my classmates, he showed me a 1800 check.great trainers, good co bennies, the only reason i left is i was running out of the jersey city, nj yard, starting in boston, going down to load every morning, and deliver cars on the way back to boston. 14 hour days, couldn't max out money by working 6 days.. had second thoughts after leaving, could have easily gotten runs to michigan every week, stay out for 4 days, i was used to being home daily as i was along time freighthauler... best of luck on your search...
Old 07-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Default Re: i recommend bavarian motor transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
i worked for them for 8 months a while ago... drivers make 70- 90000 a year.. make top dollar once you complete training at the greer, sc bmw plant.. i made 1300 a week running 5 days. 2 weeks after being on my own, i ran into one of my classmates, he showed me a 1800 check.great trainers, good co bennies, the only reason i left is i was running out of the jersey city, nj yard, starting in boston, going down to load every morning, and deliver cars on the way back to boston. 14 hour days, couldn't max out money by working 6 days.. had second thoughts after leaving, could have easily gotten runs to michigan every week, stay out for 4 days, i was used to being home daily as i was along time freighthauler... best of luck on your search...
:shock: Damn 70 - 90 a year. I remember him saying his top guy was at 75k last year. Then he said that didn't include his salvage jobs were he was paid cash. I guess the company didn't have to claim that money. Which sounds a little fishy to me. He said I'll do salvage cars to the Mexican border once in a while. How the heck do you load up salvage cars into those rigs???
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Default salvage cars..

i wouldn't want to get involved in that.. it sounds too bottom of the barrel.. there's too much money to be made in new cars.. bavarian also hauls auction cars from time to time.. there's no money in junk cars.here's the website..www.pmtghome.com
Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 PM

Yeah I don't like the sound of salvage cars myself. But he said it's pretty rare. Sounds like they haul new and used cars primarily. There's not a lot of choices for companies to work for up here.

I've got it narrowed down to this auto transport company. Food Express Inc. (FXI) Who said I was the next guy they will hire, anywhere form 2-4 months. That was six months ago. :roll: The others are Knight transportation, and Dick Irving Inc.

FXI hauls flour in pneumatic tank trailers. And Dirk Irvin hauls fertilizer in pneumatic tank trailers.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
Yeah I don't like the sound of salvage cars myself. But he said it's pretty rare. Sounds like they haul new and used cars primarily. There's not a lot of choices for companies to work for up here.

I've got it narrowed down to this auto transport company. Food Express Inc. (FXI) Who said I was the next guy they will hire, anywhere form 2-4 months. That was six months ago. :roll: The others are Knight transportation, and Dick Irving Inc.

FXI hauls flour in pneumatic tank trailers. And Dirk Irvin hauls fertilizer in pneumatic tank trailers.
not sure what you mean by salvage. I moved cars for about a year for this outfit www.kinneytowing.com (sorry if the link is not allowed please remove if it's a problem.) Drove the 9 car stinger. Moved mostly new used to from auctions/dealers. We did from time to time pick up Rep's and some banged up car's going to/from auctions/dealers. Any truck with a head rack(what we called the *thing* above the cab) is a *low rider*. The truck needs to be as short as possible to allow for height.Hauling cars means watching your height. Hauling cars you almost always max out your 13.6" height. Some times you'll luck out and won't have to. If you get a load of say ford focus's(you'd be lucky :lol: ) you'll notice your hie hgt won't max out. Lot's of people like to squish their decks real tight. I've always used my allowed height(and taken some extra ) Dint'' want to risk a car getting lose and jumping in to the top deck. You'll learn what routes you can take in your local area with your height at different levels. There were a few in my area were I could run with my height at 14.6"+ in some instances. You'll also learn quickly in most areas that 13.6" means 13.6"!!!! :shock: Moving cars is where I've made the most money in trucking. I ran local and was able to clear most weeks(not all ) 1k+. But would work 12 +hours a day nearly 5 days a week. It is hard work till you get the hang of it. Then it just becomes a war with the weather. You'll hate working the trailer in the rain... depending on where you live you'll have to deal with the snow(nothing worse than trying to hook a chain under a car when it's 5 degrees outside with soaking wet hands :shock: . During the heat you'll sweat your whowhatit's off. But if your only running one load a week it will be cake. Load up.. head out... arrive... unload... hopefully reload back. I would move 18 to 27 cars a day. 2-3 loads!!! There is a bit of an art to it. You'll learn what vehicle will fit where. Just keep an open mind, open eye, and be willing to accept input from anyone who has been in that section of the biz.