User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, the hell is spending nine hours trying to find your cars in the 105 degree heat in Vegas. :lol: And loading the cars can be very stressful. All loads are different. And some just flat out are illegal. (height-weight) And then you have to slide your 5th wheel all the time. In for the interstate, and back for town driving. Because you're too long when it's slide back, but when it's slide in, you'll damage up to four bumpers on the cars. :?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
And then you have to slide your 5th wheel all the time. In for the interstate, and back for town driving. Because you're too long when it's slide back, but when it's slide in, you'll damage up to four bumpers on the cars. :?
After your done loading, turn your truck as far right or left and have someone stand near your stinger watching the #2 and #3 cars. Have him stop you when they come close to touching. Then you will know how tight of a turn you can make without making contact. I usually put the biggest and longest vechiles in those two positions, so I know exactly what you mean. I know this can only be done after loading, but if you keep an arms length distance between those two cars, you should be fine. I saw one guy the other day, he must of had only 12 inches of space there. I don't know how he made turns.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should have a height stick in the truck, aviator. I was only bothered once for my weight in New Jersey. I also remember being really stretched out and had to pay a little extra for the PA turnpike. I don't know how it is now, but when I hauled cars, the DOT didn't give carhaulers too much grief. I would usually have my height at or under 13'8" unless I was going into New England. I would always get under 13'6" up there. I think most drivers just see the money you can make hauling cars. They don't usually see all the work you need to do to make a load work. Just wait until winter. You will appreciate some of the warm weather. :wink:
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Just wait until winter. You will appreciate some of the warm weather. :wink:
Get youself a good rain suit. If your like me, you don't want to wait out a storm in your truck. While you could be outside loading or unloading.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you get a rain suit, you may want to get one of the lightweight ones. You can work up quite a sweat playing with cars. :P
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 AM

:lol: Thanks guys. Yeah I unloaded yesterday in Missoula MT. It was 35 degrees and raining cats and dogs. I had no rain suit. :? :lol:

I'm actually starting to like this job, it's very challenging. I'm really not looking forward to winter though. Driving wise isn't my concern, it's loading cars in -10 degree weather up here. I see a lot of hydraulic and brake problems in my future. :?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeso
Quote:
Man, I'm still having a hard time deciding if I should do this... I'm worried about going down SW all the time. Isn't it like 115 degrees this time of year? I guess I'll just load one car, then go in my truck to cool off, then repeat. :lol:

And How hard is it guys? I hear it's a really hard job.
Damn lazy generation- Do you think an immigrant driver would whine like this ?
Wow, we have an Internet tough guy. :roll:

Well my first week was awesome guys and gals. We had a load to Phoenix, then picked up seven in Fontana and la Quinta. Back up to Great Falls in four and a half days. I was with my dispatcher who also trains/drives on occasion. I need another week or two, but I should be ready to go after that. I didn't realize how much things can go wrong like being stretched or not. I need to remember that fifth wheel slide big time. and to watch the height.
Nahh- Im not an internet tough guy LOL...I hung drywall 18 yrs piecework- so I know how to work is all...
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeso
Quote:
Man, I'm still having a hard time deciding if I should do this... I'm worried about going down SW all the time. Isn't it like 115 degrees this time of year? I guess I'll just load one car, then go in my truck to cool off, then repeat. :lol:

And How hard is it guys? I hear it's a really hard job.
Damn lazy generation- Do you think an immigrant driver would whine like this ?
Wow, we have an Internet tough guy. :roll:

Well my first week was awesome guys and gals. We had a load to Phoenix, then picked up seven in Fontana and la Quinta. Back up to Great Falls in four and a half days. I was with my dispatcher who also trains/drives on occasion. I need another week or two, but I should be ready to go after that. I didn't realize how much things can go wrong like being stretched or not. I need to remember that fifth wheel slide big time. and to watch the height.
Nahh- Im not an internet tough guy LOL...I hung drywall 18 yrs piecework- so I know how to work is all...
Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Well, I'm getting screwed. Found out on my first solo paycheck i'm making 18% after a 3% deduction for year end bonus. A bonus nobody gets. I'm thinking of putting in 6 months and getting out of here to a co. that pays 23-25% If not I'm done. This work is hell! I'm serious, I have so much respect for car haulers now. I look at regular truck drivers and I almost laugh at them. It's amazing how much hell a car hauler goes through, it's almost not worth the big bucks I make, (well not with this co.) We'll see.
Lolz....lolz....oh Aviator...lolz....I told you....sorry dude I am laughing right now....Like I said, your going to be all wrong for a long time....but stick with it, learn the ropes and get comfortable, then you'll see it gets easier. Most guys will wash out in a few months, mostly because of frustration or they can't do the work. But if you hang in there the money is near tops for the trucking industry.
Your going to be 3 years before I might call you a carhauler...

Good luck bud,
Also that 18% is a reason to make some calls and knock on some doors...thats too low, even for a rookie.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 AM

Well, going solo for two months now. No damage yet. :knock on wood:

Got a pay raise already. making good money. having a hard time getting back before Saturday lately. Mechanical problems set me back a while ago. Last week I went form great falls mt to Billings mt to San Diego CA To Long beach CA to Riverside CA to Salt lake City UT to Rexburg ID to Kalispell MT back home to Great Falls MT

3427 miles 19 cars, 5 days. And I get one day off, then do it all over again. lol.