View Poll Results: If starting out new, Who would you go with?
Werner 6 40.00%
Swift 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If werner and Swift were my only two choices I would have to say swift For the fact of talking with a lot of swift drivers and about 98% of who I talked with like Swift for varied reasons. Werner Drivers that I taled to the farther west you lived the harder it was to get home. or slowing you down till the point of starvation right be for your benifits are going to start. To see if you hang tough That has happend to a lot of drivers I have talked to. So again if my only two choices were swift or werner Swift.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 AM

cableman said
Quote:
Things to cover are pay, beneies, additional pays, bounses, hometime.....
all good things to ask.....my self personaly....while the recruiters came to my school and got everyone all wrapped up by how many cents a mile ...first question i asked was how many miles a week would i average....and when they told everyone how much thier top driver made....i asked what the lowest guy made....surprisingly :shock: none of em knew that..the point to remember is this...yeah it's great that thier top driver made x amount of dollors for the year...but are you being a new driver going to be thier top driver right outa the starting gate????

thats just my 2 cents.....
Old 02-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Board Regular

that treadmill dealo is just hypnotic and disturbing on so many levels :shock: I find myself just staring at it for way to long. I wonder what her bellie burn looked like the next day :?: hum. :twisted:
Old 02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce750
Still you did not give any solid hard core facts as to why it would have been a bad choice but nothing the less good luck to you.
Just for the fun of it..... and not to be unfriendly... here is why I would not want to work for Covenant:

1. I read an industry article where your CEO was interviewed, and he made statements to the effect that: They are shifting their focus to regional areas where the "profit" is higher, but the runs are "shorter"....in the 400 mile range and shorter, but he said nothing about paying the drivers more for the shorter runs. If I wanted regional work, I would work for a regional company.

2. Covenant has always to my knowledge been a "team operation" company. I am strictly a "solo operation", even when training a student.
I wouldn't train for them either.... I think training a student driver from the sleeper is one of the most dangerous actions around.

3. I have had conversations with solo drivers with your company, and they in general were not all that thrilled..... seems that they often times went and picked up loads with "significant miles" on them, and then after sending their loaded messages, they received a message to relay the load to a team somewhere nearby. Not my idea of "fun" and gainful employment...being a "transient local driver".

On the other hand, I have spoken to your drivers who are involved in team operations....and they seem to be happy as clams. Seems right, since its predominantly a team operation company.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Board Regular

Skywalker I would have to agree with you. I don't like companies that do the dumb and dumber training in my opinion a trainer should have at least 2 years of OTR experience before even being considered a trainer. When I say OTR I mean all 48. I don't mean this regional or Dedicated crap. furthermore I have heard the same things echoed by several Covenant drivers.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckinRanger
I have heard the same things echoed by several Covenant drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckinRanger
If it wasn't for this site I would have choosen someone like Covenant to go with,
So is it that you have heard things echoed by "several" Covenant drivers Or are you getting all of your info from the numerous Covenant drivers from this site? I think you may be getting your thoughts a bit mixed up.

Here and I thought I knew it all.. While I am QUITE sure Covenant is not the Best company I do not think it is as bad as "Everyone" pretends.

It is very strange nothing the less that Every solo driver I have talked to in the terminals and when Re-powering have said nothing bad about the miles/pay they have been receiving.

In less every solo driver I have talked to has been lying for some strange personal gain I have yet to hear a solo say he gets less than 2500 a week with most saying 2700-3000 a week. This does interest me since next year my fiancee will be going to college and I plan on continuing trucking for another year or year and a half, So I do ask them on occasion when I have the chance.

I do however completely agree with the Blind leading the blind statement and I such as yourself feel the same way about this.

But, where exactly might I be able to find these disgruntled employees so I can get the hard facts?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 AM

if i'm not mistaken....and i'm 99.9 percent sure i'm not...didn't i see you reply to a post about covanent in which you said
Quote:
i was 100% happy up until recently when our miles have been cut in HALF....and also that you run a team operation and can't really give a solo drivers perspective....
wouldn't that make you one of the disgruntled drivers????and as for werner being retards....you don't see them driving volvo's.... :!:
Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

fierce750: In so far as teams are concerned, I can't say I have ever spoken to a team driver at Covenant who was unhappy. Seems for the most part they are pretty content.

I spoke with a guy who was solo...in Laredo a few months ago who was "moaning and groaning" about his miles. But in all fairness....I asked why he didn't make a change if he was that unhappy. His answer made no sense at all. Its quite possible that he was the kind who wasn't happy unless he was complaining :? :? Kind of classic, eh?

We've had a few drivers from Covenant come to CFI....as evidenced by the shirts they were wearing.... and when asked they said yes they did drive there. When asked why they made the move..... they generally just said they weren't happy there. And not much else.

I know Covenant has drivers who have been there for years and years, just like CFI has....so as in every company in every industry on the planet, what works for one person may not work for another. I think its a "comfort zone" issue for the most part. I have driven for other companies, and thus far CFI is the only one that has made me "comfortable" psychologically and financially....the others promised and dropped the ball.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger35120
if i'm not mistaken....and i'm 99.9 percent sure i'm not...didn't i see you reply to a post about covanent in which you said
Quote:
i was 100% happy up until recently when our miles have been cut in HALF....and also that you run a team operation and can't really give a solo drivers perspective....
wouldn't that make you one of the disgruntled drivers????and as for werner being retards....you don't see them driving volvo's.... :!:
Well yes and no.
I really thought it was a great newbie company and I still pretty much do IN LESS we do not start getting the miles after this supposedly slow season ends.
I will wait till then to give my final verdict of course but up till this month I was as happy as could be.