User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
I don't have any need to dodge chickencoops. I run good equipment and legal loads. Also, I keep my logbook up when crossing US30. Yes, they can always find something.

Again, the question is the financial cost of running the toll roads vs US30. Good company, but the current policy for the toll roads is bad(from the perceptive of the company driver). BTW, when I have an oversize load then I can't run the toll road.

Thanks again.
You just don't get it.
They want you on those toll roads come hell or high water.
They don't want them big trucks rumblin' through all them small towns on 30 and 20 with the jakes roarin.
The Ohio Toll Commision capped toll prices since the late 90's when Taft was in office because they wanted them trucks off the backroads.
So alot of trucks went back to the pike due to the low rates plus they kicked the speed limits up to 65 and they built those nice new plazas.
But now they got a democrat in office and the budget's all gone to hell in a handbasket so the toll rates go up this year.
Do you think they want all them trucks back on the country roads pissing everyone off in the towns who vote?
You better think again.
So you stand a much higher chance of getting pulled over for some BS inspection.
They know that when enough drivers get hassled, the word gets around that it's not a good idea to jump off the pike.
It's all about the money and the votes.
So ask yourself what is the financial cost of the wasted time, tickets, and other BS?
This comes straight from a buddy of mine who's a state trooper, so take it for what it's worth.

Now do you understand?

Last edited by tombestonebilly; 06-20-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
Toll tickets can be written off for an OO, right?
Yes. Tolls are a business expense.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
ding,ding,ding we have a winner! plus, 28 stoplights kinda gets annoying afterwhile, i would pay for the tolls just so i dont have to stop so damn often...you wanted advice, so i gave it to you. good luck with whatever you want to do heh have fun going thru Valpo, Plymouth, and all those other little towns
I was wanted financial facts, not advice. Since the responses to my thread have been lacking in financial information, I am wasting my time.

Perhaps, I should put in on the "Owner Operator Forums" board. How do I move my thread?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:20 AM

My company dont pay them tolls unless haz or High Value. So I take 30 and can avg 60 most days I dont know where you get 28 Stop Lights I will have to count next time. I would say for per cheap go 30 you lose a little bit of time but save $53 on tolls.

I have NEVER been pulled over on 30 and run it a lot as in 2-3 times a week. set the cruise at 60 dont act like a ****** and no one is going to bug you.

Now if your looking at all in all IF your making good money and your company is taking care of you run the toll road its a write off for you. I dont run it cause I dont mind the lil extra time it takes but again for cost/reward I think at the end your 6 of one and half dozen of the other.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Why spend your money, to make life easy for SPD? If they chose to not pay tolls, then driving around those tolls should be on their dime, not yours.

Burn enough fuel avoiding tolls, and SPD will soon chose to pay the tolls.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Me, I likes my EZ-Pass and little plastic card......

In the past I've run all those back roads with a box...never had any problems, but I hated it when I got caught behind a school bus or someone dawdling down the road......

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepwawet View Post
I have NEVER been pulled over on 30 and run it a lot as in 2-3 times a week. set the cruise at 60 dont act like a ****** and no one is going to bug you.
The toll increase was put into effect pretty recent let me see here about 2-3 months ago I think so they've just stepped up backroads enforcement. I'm not saying you will get pulled over just that you stand a bigger chance jumping off the pike is all and you should factor that into any financial decision you might make. Like I said this comes straight from a state trooper who's a buddy of mine so take it for what it's worth. There were alot of upset people living along 20 and 30 who don't like big trucks back when they lowered rates to lure trucks back onto the pike so do you think LEO's are just gonna sit back while all these big rigs return to the back roads after the toll increase? Use your head man. But you guys do what you want I could care less. It's your time and money not mine.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Why spend your money, to make life easy for SPD? If they chose to not pay tolls, then driving around those tolls should be on their dime, not yours.

Burn enough fuel avoiding tolls, and SPD will soon chose to pay the tolls.
I don't intent on using my money and run the toll roads. I do want to know the cost being running US30 vs. the Toll Road. Still looking for information about if the road/fuel taxes are offset by the toll charge.

I have been thinking what I get paid by going either way. Since I make hub mileage it works out as follows:

384 miles Lake Station, IN to I76/I80 Jct, Ohio by way of IN49/US30/I71/I76 X 36cpm = $138.24

355 miles Lake Station, IN to I76/I80 Jct, Ohio by way of Toll Road X 36cpm = $127.80

Why don't I just be happy with running the extra miles and get more money since I get hub mileage? Because I believe in being cost effective(eg. keep idle time and OOR miles down, take care of the truck/tarps/load, etc.).

Someone here suggested that I pay the toll out of my pocket(and take the tax deduction). If so and I was Class 8 then it would be $59.25(Sorry, I don't have EZ-Pass). So I would make make $68.55(127.80 - 59.25) which is a difference of $69.69.

What does that work out per hour? For argument sake, the Toll Road take 5.75 hours(62mph; you got to slowdown for the toll plazas) and US30 is 7 hours(I just did it the other day).

$138.24 / 7 hours = $19.75 per hour(US30)

$127.80 / 5.75 hours = $22.23 per hour (Toll Road driver DOES NOT paid toll charges)

$68.55 / 5.75 hours = $11.92 per hour (Toll Road driver DOES paid toll charges)

What does it cost my company in fuel, wages, and toll charges between the two? Let's figure the fuel mileage is same(I don't think it is but I don't have data to state it isn't) at 6mpg and fuel is $2.50 per gal.

US30 - (384 miles / 6mpg) X $2.50 = $160.00
$138.24(wages) + $160.00(fuel) = $298.24

Toll Road - (355 miles / 6mpg) X $2.50 = $147.92
$127.80(wages) + $147.92(fuel) + $59.25(toll) = $334.97

Difference - $334.97 - $298.24 = $36.73

If fuel prices go up(and all indications they are) and fuel mileage is less on the back roads, then the difference is less. What happens if fuel goes to $5.00 per gal and fuel mileage drops by a half mpg on the back roads:

US30 - (384 miles / 5.5mpg) X $5.00 = $349.09
$138.24(wages) + $349.09(fuel) = $487.33

Toll Road - (355 miles / 6mpg) X $5.00 = $295.83
$127.80(wages) + $295.83(fuel) + $59.25(toll) = $482.88

Difference - $482.88 - $487.33 = -$4.45

Those are objective facts. Whether LEO enforces(or harasses) the law on the back roads, increased accident rates, or the local people don't like the big trucks(What about the owners and employees in the truckstops?) are subjective.

Does anyone know if road/fuel taxes for Indiana/Ohio are different for the miles run on toll roads?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombestonebilly View Post
Plus you get free showers on the Ohio turnpike and they got laundry and nice places to eat and big parking lots.
Ohio turnpike has some of the best travel plazas in the nation for truckers.
That's just this driver's opinion.
I didn't know about the free showers, so thanks for that information. And Yes, Ohio turnpike does have great travel plazas.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepwawet View Post
My company dont pay them tolls unless haz or High Value. So I take 30 and can avg 60 most days I dont know where you get 28 Stop Lights I will have to count next time. I would say for per cheap go 30 you lose a little bit of time but save $53 on tolls.

Now if your looking at all in all IF your making good money and your company is taking care of you run the toll road its a write off for you. I dont run it cause I dont mind the lil extra time it takes but again for cost/reward I think at the end your 6 of one and half dozen of the other.
I have counted 28 stoplights on US30 between IN49 Jct in Valparaiso and I69 in Fort Wayne. I may have miscounted +-2, so please doublecheck my numbers.