User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Right on copperhead. Younger soldiers (same for drivers) needed that recognition. As we gained experience and seniority, it was about getting recognition for our soldiers, not ourselves.
I've been retired from the Army 10.5 yrs, been driving for 7. Still not adjusted to the civilian dog-eat-dog world. Miss taking care of my soldiers and working for a mutual mission up and down the line rather than this management vs workforce mentality out here. But, that's the world & will adapt.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Board Regular

Run 100 miles OOR in my truck and you'll answer for it!

But I do try to get my folks home when they want. I have actually kicked a load and d/h my drivers 1000 miles plus for Christmas and such.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I often get the feeling that many drivers expect constant reinforcement from their employers. If you want that, the you need to go into the military. Then you can get your daily reinforcement comments, letters of commendation, and medals.

Trucking is not the same animal. After 2 and 1/2 decades at this one thing is clear to me. If you can do your job well and be satisfied with your own personal accomplishments, you will do ok. If you can do all this exceptionally, you will be in demand and you can get a lot of help from those you work for and with in time of need. Of course, this is more prevalent in smaller carriers where they know your name. If you can't find satisfaction in dealing with your customers, then stay away from trucking. I deal with a group of excellent customers that I enjoy seeing. Attitude is everything. A good analogy to all this is farming. You are not going to get acolades from your livestock, crops, or equipment. You have to find the satisfaction in your individual accomplishments. You have to motivate yourself to get up in the morning and go redo that section of fence that needs rebuilt or get the skid loader out and scoop livestock crap. Meanwhile, it is going to be below freezing and you have cattle that are calving.

Oh boy, truckers have it so rough. Guess because of growing up on a family farm and serving 7 years in an Army recon unit at an average of $15 a DAY in pay has made me so that trucking is not really that bad. I am making more than I have in previous years, but yeah, I have to put forth the effort.

Boys and Girls... it's all about a work ethic and attitude. Period.
Enjoyed and agree with your post..great stuff. I do have one question though, what country's army were you in making $15 a day?? Just jerking you chain a bit...I'm a 20 year retiree, retired in 91 and been driving truck since then. When I first went in we were making $144 a month or $4.80 a day....before taxes and went to jump school to get an additional $55 a month hazardous duty pay. Can't complain about what I was making in my final years though...and the retirement check is fantastic.

For the heck of it I looked up what present pay rates are:
E-1 Private
Base Pay $1294.50 per month
Housing Allowance if married $928 monthly
Subsistance Allowance if married $323.87 Total monthly pay $2546.37 and only the base pay of $1294.50 is taxable income.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by can-do View Post
:clap: such an excellant , articulate, and well thought out post. Unfortunately #1 applies directly to me ! This is my first time posting (I'm the type to listen and shut the f*%# up ) but this one hit so close to home I had to comment. Fourteen yrs in trucking and I finally realize the wisdom of all you're saying here. Great work record , clean mvr, and very ashamed to own up to all the companies I''ve been to. I have quit good jobs for really stupid reasons. If it wasn't for my superior work record I wouldn't be able to get a job driving a garbage truck.So sad it's taken so long to figure out and fix the real problem (ME) . I hope some other potentially good drivers take heed and make the neccasary adjusments to better themselves first and foremost. It would be so much more profitable to them. I've learn to be content where I'm at , doing what I'm doing and getting the bills paid ! I applaude you for your insight and williness to share useful info with others:bow: . I When I decide to move from where I'm at it will be a career advancement not a lateral move . Thanks !!!!!
Sounds like you have aged some. With age comes experience. I remember when I was 17 my dad was not very smart (to me) and now at 55 he is a genius.He is 95 now and the smartest person I know. But it takes time and aging. I all ways say " education is free until you leave High School after that it cost" and I have a PHD from hard knocks High.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I often get the feeling that many drivers expect constant reinforcement from their employers. If you want that, the you need to go into the military. Then you can get your daily reinforcement comments, letters of commendation, and medals.
I never cared about constant reinforcement. I prefer to be left alone. That's one of the little things that wears on me about my current company. They're constantly watching you yet they rarely say "good job." Not that I care one way or the other, but them watching me says that I haven't earned their trust to do the job right. To me, it seems like the company and the management-types are in fear for their own jobs, so they watch all the drivers for any excuse to jack them up. Seriously, they'll suspend you a day without pay if you take your hand off the pump at the fuel island. And we haul mail.

Nobody really says anything to me, I think I do good enough for them, but I always know they're not far away. It seems that solitude and a sense of independence are the reasons people drive a truck, and if you take that away, what are you left with?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Lots of comments about attitude and how far that will get you and make your life as an OTR driver better............... ROFLMAO How long is it ok to go from a good attitude to a bad attitude before you know you have to get away form a crazy trucking outfit? If you start with a company and within a week you know that these people are crazy and you leave is that smart or a bad attitude? Is staying at a crazy place for yrs a good attitude or just being a fool and a glutton for punishment?

In a lot of ways a good attitude is an excuse to deny reality, to put a good face on whatever injustice, someone has put on you.

Not getting home when promised(not once in a blue mood but every time), not being paid for work that you do, pressured by some companies to run illegal, weak and expensive benefits, no way to get your bonus money, lost money because of mistakes that the companies make, and all the other BS some companies feed you for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you accept that GREAT ATTITUDE.

All companies have their own quirks and lies, the trick is to find a company, that you can work for within those quirks and lies. Understand the quirks an lies, work within the system of those quirks and lies and make it work for you is what attitude is all about.

Sadly some cant find a company with a set of quirks and lies they can live with (job jumper). Some will never face up to the reality that they will never change the quirks of a company(job jumper) Some will never be truck drivers, or should never have tried to become one(ex drivers)

Bad company? % will love it there, great company % will hate it there people are people does not matter what line of work you do.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think too many parents read "Dr. Spock"....and raised their kids wrong..... They need to insititute the draft again, and go back to "old military standards".

Quote:
Trucking is not the same animal. After 2 and 1/2 decades at this one thing is clear to me. If you can do your job well and be satisfied with your own personal accomplishments, you will do ok. If you can do all this exceptionally, you will be in demand and you can get a lot of help from those you work for and with in time of need. Of course, this is more prevalent in smaller carriers where they know your name. If you can't find satisfaction in dealing with your customers, then stay away from trucking. I deal with a group of excellent customers that I enjoy seeing. Attitude is everything. A good analogy to all this is farming. You are not going to get acolades from your livestock, crops, or equipment. You have to find the satisfaction in your individual accomplishments. You have to motivate yourself to get up in the morning and go redo that section of fence that needs rebuilt or get the skid loader out and scoop livestock crap. Meanwhile, it is going to be below freezing and you have cattle that are calving.
Right you are!!! I couldn't have said it better!!! :thumbsup:

Quote:
Oh boy, truckers have it so rough. Guess because of growing up on a family farm and serving 7 years in an Army recon unit at an average of $15 a DAY in pay has made me so that trucking is not really that bad. I am making more than I have in previous years, but yeah, I have to put forth the effort.
Me, I spent 10 years in the Army....and 2 & 1/2 in Vietnam..... You were high paid!! :lol: I got a call from a friend out in CA....served with me there....he was laughing his butt off.
We were both E-5's in Nam....and we had both just received out SS statements of earnings.... Man, were we "cheap labor"... made just over $4000 for the year 1969 and 70... base pay + combat pay + emergency rations pay..... we got about $10.95 a day... as E-5's!! We were 69th Inf Det, GSR on the Cambodian border in the Delta. Darn sure making more now!!

Quote:
Boys and Girls... it's all about a work ethic and attitude. Period.
That is the "bottom line"!!:thumbsup:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Rookie

This thread is very educational for the number of points to keep in mind.It gives an explanation to every side or party,the diver and the company.Good thoughts and very ell said.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Rookie
Default a new driver

well i am a new driver and i think i may have done my research. but i am out here with a positive attitude about the whole trucking aspect of the trucking life. i have a fiance who is all for this ..why? because if you think positive about it there is money to be made and i am going to make sure that i do make that money. why?...because i have my goals set for me and well i should say us. ( me and my fiance.) because once i get my 1rst yr under me im going to stay in it for another yr. and then find a local company. so that i can be home every night. but for now we are well aware of what lies ahead of us with the trucking life and its entity in the industry. because right now the company that i am going to be driving for is P.A.M..at least i can say that ..that is one company i have yet to hear anything bad about. sure i almost whent to swift. but i didn't. i decided to go for P.A.M. i whent through the drivr solutions and so now they are going to sponcer my training. and i am all for it. so good luck to all of you. and happy truckin.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Rookie
Default hello new driver!!!!!

hello driver well i can tell you that your choice to go whit pam was a good one! how good honestly im not shure but i myself have not heard anything bad although i have not driven in about 28 months but prior to that i have 5yrs otr exp and im trying to get my foot bk in the door and just got my application aproved by krielkamp have you heard anything about this trucking co?? and the smartest thing you can do is stick with a companie 6months to 1-2yrs max and like you said your self get a local job home every night that is the best way to do it!! take it from this stranger! youll get treated better from a company (local) that knows you as a person NOT A NUMBER because otr companies have no!! respect for there drivers a big part of there job is be as phoney as possible and as kind as possible and as convincing as possible dont mind the spelling have a nice day and be safe out there!!!! frm nyvegaspd