User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Headlight Question

Howdy!

I am a researcher who studies traffic signs and pavement markings, and I was hoping to ask for some input from those with CDLs. To give you a little background, my research often focuses on investigating how we can improve the signing and pavement markings for the driving public. One area that I am considering getting more involved with is vehicle systems, and seeing if there is something we can do to help drivers from within their vehicle to better gather the appropriate information from the signs and pavement markings.

That said, I would like to see if anyone would be willing to list any things that you like or do not like about the signs and pavement markings that you have seen on the roadways today. If you decide to respond, please consider night versus day, and rural versus urban.

To start this thread off, I will refer back to the title. I was recently conducting some research and we did some nighttime viewing of signs from inside a RV. I never realized how much more difficult it was to read signs at night for drivers of larger vehicles. Have you noticed this as well? Does this concern you? Is there something you do that helps you in these situations?

I would appreciate any input you will offer.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

At niight, with the new LED traffic lights, it can become difficult to read street signs, even the large ones. we have the technology to be able to sense the ambient amount of light, and adjust circuits automatically. Why can't we do that on the new traffic lights? They're bright enough to be seen in daylight, but BLINDING at night. The technology that reduces the brightness at night could be applied to those new traffic lights. Very often, because of the green light, it becomes difficult to be able to see just where and when you have to turn at one of them...

Standardizing street signs and making them a bit larger, with the reflective paint would be good. As it is, first you have to find it... Then try to read it at night. For that matter, there are many towns that don't think street signs are required at all. There are a couple of places that I've delivered to a dozen times, and I have yet to find a street sign where I need to turn to get to the customer.

In some towns, truck routes are marked with yellow posts. When you get there, you not only have to look for the street signs, and pray you are going to be able to read them, but you have to try to find yellow posts as well. At night, reflective yellow on those posts would be a very big help. Dirty yellow on the posts makes all posts look the same. Now, find the truck route... Oh, yes... And, don't miss the street you have to turn on.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 AM

reflectors help a lot at finding the path of the road (night/fog/lanes)and allow a driver to see if there is an object moving in the distance, passing between the eye and the reflector. mix pole/post mounted reflector and road mounted so the same points of reference are available during snow. every pole, sign or otherwise fixed object should be marked with reflectors and that should be national standard.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I think reflective lane marking should be mandatory for all insterstates.

I also like that in some of the larger cities they are marking the pavement with the Interstates logos if lanes are exiting and dividing and have found that to be quite helpful also.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Board Icon

We have an aggie that researches traffic signs and road markings??
Just kidding
Sounds like an interesting job you have.

Aggieroad, I drive from Wichita Falls to Lubbock, 5 nights a week. I'd rather drive at night. Less traffic.
I don't know how often you drive to Lubbock, but you know there isn't much out there. Maybe you could see if they could put up street lights along the highway. That would help. It would be to our advantage, being able to see the deer and pigs, and no telling what else is out there, before we nail them. :thumbsup: That's all.

Speaking of road signs. "Deer Crossing" signs. I bet there are 10 of them from Wichita Falls to Decatur on highway 287, and I very seldom see any deer on 287.
From Wichita Falls to Lubbock on highway 82, you can see more deer than you can count on a nightly basis, and I'm not sure if there is a single "Deer Crossing" sign on 82. :lol:

Most everyone here will tell you that I like to joke.
However, on a serious note-
Truck drivers go by signs. The average normal person in a car probably doesn't have the slightest clue how to read road signs.
Most signs on the highways and interstates are normally big enough to see and read. It's when drivers have to get off the highways to make deliveries, etc. It seems like street signs aren't quite big enough to let the driver have enough time to get ready to make a turn, or stop, etc. It wouldn't be bad if he was the only one on that street, but he has to find the signs, and watch traffic all at the same time. There are trees, buildings, business signs, and other obstructions that keep him from being able to see where he needs to go before he realizes he should have already turned (or whatever the case may be). I understand they can't have a 10x10 street sign at every intersection, but it would be helpful if they would do something to help drivers seeing street signs before it's too late.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieroad View Post
Have you noticed this as well? Does this concern you? Is there something you do that helps you in these situations?
GPS. Or, should I say, GPS in the right hands. There are plenty of GPS horror stories out there but, for every one of them, there are hundreds of thousands of drivers using them productively. That has gone a long way toward mitigating poorly marked, placed or illuminated street signs.

I'm with mike3 and Taglio as to the issue of lane markings and reflectors. There are many places where faded, obscured or non existing markings can be a real cause for concern. Slow maintenance is one thing for cash strapped municipalities but there are many places where, for instance, lane markings are obscured by a rising or setting sun . . a fairly predictable occurrence . . which appears to have been given no consideration in the planning process.

Finally, your post sort of brushes up against one of my pet peeves . . poorly marked shippers and customers in general and their truck entrances in particular. There's a business opportunity here for anyone who's interested (WW, didn't you mention in one of your posts that you have retired? You could do this). You know how California marks all of it's freeway on ramps? With a sign that very clearly states "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" with the freeway number. The signs are set low and point to the appropriate pavement. It is the only thing California has ever done right. I think every business that uses CMVs should have a numeric identifier clearly posted to identify it's building and it's truck entrance. The numeric identifier could be as simple as their unique Zip+4 and, of course, it should be appropriately reflective or illuminated. Why not use their name? Names change, tenants change and many places don't post their names at all because it ain't in the budget and/or as a security/loss control measure.

Last edited by cdswans; 04-17-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some years ago there was a road in Atlanta that led to Stone Mountain (The Stone Mountain Freeway). It had glass ground up in the asphalt and when the headlights reflected back you could see for miles. It was in part a project to help recycle glass. I know that we don't use much glass these days, but it is a good idea that would help us better navigate the highways. Signage could also be made out of the same reflective glass or other types of reflective tape, etc., to help find roads at night.

It can be difficult to find some roads at night. It helps to have the up coming road sign before the actual road where you can prepare to make your turn. I have seen this done in a few communities. Signs are larger than the standard road signs and it is very helpful and easy to read.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=GMAN;479154]Some years ago there was a road in Atlanta that led to Stone Mountain (The Stone Mountain Freeway). It had glass ground up in the asphalt and when the headlights reflected back you could see for miles. It was in part a project to help recycle glass. ]

N.Y.C. did that on some of there streets and it really did brighten things up. If it worked that good in a bright city, i could only imagine how well it would work on a highway or a dark country road. :thumbsup:
Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Speaking of road signs. "Deer Crossing" signs. I bet there are 10 of them from Wichita Falls to Decatur on highway 287, and I very seldom see any deer on 287.
From Wichita Falls to Lubbock on highway 82, you can see more deer than you can count on a nightly basis, and I'm not sure if there is a single "Deer Crossing" sign on 82. :lol:
Wabbit, you aren't seeing the deer on 287 cuz they are obeying the signs and actually CROSSING the road. Sounds like what you need on 82 are some NO LOITERING signs for the deer! :lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Wabbit, you aren't seeing the deer on 287 cuz they are obeying the signs and actually CROSSING the road. Sounds like what you need on 82 are some NO LOITERING signs for the deer! :lol2:
I never thought of that!
The state needs some of those signs that you see in parking lots. That might help.

http://watsonsysco.com/