User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Johnny Football

From what I've seen/heard it looks like the fate of Aggieland might resting on an autograph...

Most of the time, I hear news from schools that I'm not a fan of, I don't really keep up with it. But this is addicting. I am anxious to see what comes out of this.

What do yall think about this?

You think Manziel sold his signature?

If so... it's funny that the dude that bought it, ratted him out. lol

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Board Icon

I believe it. Supposedly he did it more than once...........with some others up in NE. The kid just can't keep his nose clean, he's begging for the NCAA to open an investigation on him 24/7 it seems. He posts all over Twitter how he gets into the Super Bowl, courtside at Maverick games, showing up at UT to party after being asked to leave a TAMU party..............Stop acting like a spoiled 15 year old brat.

It may take care of itself because of a little known Texas law. If the guy who ratted him/payed him to do the Johnny Hancocks is legit and wants to pursue it, the Texas law says that TAMU can then sue him for all damages related to Manziel being suspended by the NCAA. Damages meaning lost postseason Bowl money, lost ticket sales, etc. Does the guy want to cooperate with the NCAA knowing that could be coming? The question would be, did the dealer knowingly dupe Manziel? If he did it truly and honestly not knowing it was illegal, he still has a 50-50 chance of being sued.

That all said, I do not blame Manziel for making some cash on the side but rules are rules.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Board Icon

And there you have it, the NCAA said that they believed he did something wrong but after doing an audit on the family finances, they found no evidence of wrongdoing. SO, they suspended him for the first half of the first game. Cash is king and untraceable, unless a video or photo surfaces of him actually being handed money it is case closed.

What's sad is the fact that had this happened with a kid who was not on scholarship, a walk-on paying his own way who happens to suddenly become a star player, he'd be suspended way longer. Some people would then wrongly claim, "Hey he's getting an education free so there is no need go sign some autographs for money." Those type of kids, I really do not blame at all for doing that. I worked with a fellow student who played on the basketball team as a walk-on. He could only work a specific number of hours per week per the NCAA. His parents were not rich so any money he made was spending money for clothes, putting gas in his car and some food as his meal plan was the cheap one of only 2 meals per day on campus. At that time it was $7 an hour and I think it was 15-20 hours allowed, that's barely $100 after taxes. And food was not cheap in the city or on campus, figure $8 a meal, 5 meals plus weekends of 6 meals. Then put gas in your car at another $10, there goes your weekly check. All while the NCAA uses your name and likeness to help make them billions of dollars each year.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Board Icon

There is something fishy. I found it comical that he was only suspended for one half. I understand that the NCAA didn't find any evidence of Manziel getting paid for his autographs. Just from listening to espn etc, it was the brokers' word against his. Nothing on video of him getting paid. I don't know what the rules are on signing autographs. I'm sure there are limitations on how many, or who you give your autographs to, but it seems like it would be more punishable than just one half of suspension. I could care less how he got punished, but it doesn't sound right. I will be watching A&M vs Bama. Looks like A&M has some weapons on offense, but they did give up 31 to Rice. It will be interesting how the Aggies defense will react to bama's smash offense.

I thought it was funny how he was making jesters last Saturday. He did get a 15 yard penalty. For some reason, I have a small hunch that NCAA will find something else.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Just another idiot with a BIG target on his back.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Board Icon

Jack, nothing against giving the ol' John Hancock in NCAA regs. You selling it though, that's a no-no. Do as many as you want, just don't sell your autograph!

His penalty was for pointing at the scoreboard but not necessarily. I believe he spoke something that the officials heard. All he had to do was point at the scoreboard and walk away, don't say a thing. Officials normally do not flag you for that. If you say something though, here comes the flag. I did not find his jesters funny, I found them disgusting and further solidified his ego problem. He wants to be a leader, knock that off and turn your back. As Tom Brady said, don't be a turd. IF he gets to the NFL, he has 10-15 year vets who will be licking their chops to light him up legally and illegally with this nonsense he keeps pulling.

I think Bama beats them this year but it's close, like 3 points or less. Bama does not have the smash mouth offense right now, maybe by the end of the year we will start seeing it but not this early. They lost 3 of their front 5, they have no cohesion with each other. It was very evident against a VT team that isn't THAT great.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Board Icon

From what I hear, the players can't have a job, or anything to make a profit. I also heard they can't even have somebody pick up their tab at a restaurant.

I've never been to College Station. I hear it's one of the hardest places to play. I'm not sure how to predict this game. I don't think it will be a shootout. I don't doubt that A&M will put up points, but their defense bothers me. They gave up nearly 70 points in their first 2 games. I know you can't judge from previous games, but if A&M can keep their D off the field, they should pull it out. If not, it might get ugly.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Board Icon

They can have a job but it is regulated to how many hours your allowed to work. Scholarships vs non-scholarships make it tough to keep up on what's legit and what isn't which is why schools have a compliance dept. Lord they even regulate how many hours your allowed to be studying film with a coach each week(20 hours.) The only people who can help the athlete is the athlete's family. Remember Boise St getting in hot water for coaches helping with overcrowded housing at the school? They were bringing the players into their homes to alleviate the housing issue. Ended up getting in big trouble for it. Acts of true compassion are outlawed by the NCAA and their Nazi like ways. But hey, the NCAA is allowed to exploit the same athletes for THEIR personal gain an lining THEIR pockets. If an athlete goes into a store and comes up 1 penny short and the clerk says "Ah get outta here and don't worry about that penny." If the NCAA finds out, that player is suspended for 1 game or 12 games, over 1 friggin cent but the NCAA is making $60 a pop on a replica jersey on NCAA.com from that athlete's name on it. It's disgusting how the NCAA acts.

Right now Bama is a 7.5 point favorite on the road. The over/under is 62 points. I'd take Texas to cover the spread, but not the win and the over. College Station isn't a hard place to play, it's a loud place to play. It's weird because 1 whole end of the stadium is wide open yet it's always one of the loudest places in the land. Imagine if they enclosed that one end, the 12th Man would be even bigger of an advantage. The run D seems to be an issue with A&M, Bama didn't seem to have a run O though.......points will be scored though, Bama has one heck of a special teams package. They made VT look silly and VT prides itself on having the best special teams in the nation each year. If VT's D could have played offense and special teams, they might have upset Bama. So why am I still picking Bama after talking them down, it is unfair to allow Saban an off week to prepare. The opposing team should be spotted at least 10 points to start the game.