User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I really think Oregon vs Bama would have been a better game than ND. Unfortunately ND took care of business with a schedule that on paper was one of the best in the country. They beat a highly ranked OU team, a Stanford team that won the Rose Bowl and finished what, top 5? They didn't play a single team outside of the power conferences(not including the indy teams.) Of the teams ND played, only Miami(self imposed bowl restriction) Wake Forest and BC did not go to a bowl game, all 3 out of the ACC which ND sorta joins now. Of the teams Bama played, 6 failed to make a bowl game and 1 of those great wins was over a 2nd division team. Georgia had 7 teams on their schedule who didn't play in a bowl and 1 win over a 2nd division team also. So again, on paper ND belonged, IMO and I felt this way before the game even started, they didn't belong. Their schedule in reality wasn't as great as it looked on paper. Even in a playoff system they could have been who Bama got for the title as Bama won a de-facto national semi-final game over Georgia to get there. The whuppin that ND suffered just goes to show how far ahead the SEC is vs the rest of the country.

I do agree with next year's title game, "experts" already have Bama vs Ohio State pegged. Urban Meyer is going to quickly change the way Big Ten teams play going forward. Michigan already did that and other are quickly looking to follow. They have no choice with Urban bringing the SEC flavor to Columbus in a hurry.

I do agree about too many bowl games. I've been believing that for the last 10 years as they seem to add 1 additional every year. It's too the point that teams 6-7 are getting exemptions to play in bowl games. No team with a losing record is supposed to be playing in them even if they meet the 6 win criteria unless the NCAA waives that stipulation. Cut out the Nobody Cares Bowl, the Are You Serious Bowl, the Get Real Bowl, etc. I'm a traditionalist, bring back the original bowl names, Peach, Tangerine, Citrus.