User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yep and the sad part is, that title was won with certain assistant coaches that are no longer there. Same could happen with Bama, if a couple of assistants leave it could all be over for Saban. It's not just the player turnover, you can overcome that with good recruiting, it's hard to replace good coaches these days. Look at FSU, they were one of the top teams in the 90's and early 2000's until all the assistants started getting head coaching gigs elsewhere. FSU quickly went from the top to mid pack. What have those other coaches done since leaving FSU? Not a lot outside of Mark Richt having a decent team year in and year out.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I was reading the paper today and their is an article with OU's new stud RB, Damien Williams, old JUCO coach. He says OU has no idea what they have in him. I would tend to agree. From what I have seen he is the real deal. His old coach said Williams use to get the ball 40 to 50 times a game and just got better as the game progressed. Granted it's JUCO, but your still getting chased and hit. As of today Williams is leading the country in Yds per carry. He only had 10 carries last week and I'm not sure about the week before at UTEP, but he's rolling right along that's for sure. Last years stud, Dominique Whaley still has a noticeable gimp. I hope he can fully recouperate and pick up where he left off. Looking forward to the K-State game a week from this Sat at home. We have a bye this week, I hate it when that happens!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Board Icon

Maybe they are simply gun shy about giving a back the ball that many times?

How about Gene Chizik getting ate up by the media in Alabama? They were laying into him on blogs pretty harshly last week and the game at Miss St was still in the 4th quarter. Now it's come out that the Miss St players knew the plays the Auburn offense was running........and Chizik had the gonads to state that he wasn't worried about it. Umm, come Iron Bowl week you might be very worried. Saban's team doesn't need you to be gifting them the game, they can straight throttle you without knowing a single play. Of course Chizik is on a very thin line right now from what I hear. He doesn't have many supporters and a losing season could be the death knell for him on The Plains. He has 1 National Title but at the cost of not developing younger players. He had a QB out there at Miss St that looked like a freshman in high school. Through 3 quarters of play he had more completions to MSU than his own team. He was 1-7 with 2 INTS and -3 yards on that single completion. The offensive line was downright offensive, it looked like a Chinese fire drill most of the time when it came to blocking. Chizik blamed last season's failure's on Tommy Tuberville, big mistake apparently, the fans were not amused considering Tuberville was well liked by the fans and the fans aren't dum-dums, you've had 3 years to recruit Chizik. What's his excuse this year I wonder? Could get ugly if they start 0-3 with La-Monroe coming in, speaking of.......

Arkansas fell to La-Monroe last week in OT at The Rock.

FSU might have covered the record spread of 70.5 over Savannah St had the game gone the distance properly. They won 58-0 but an act of God, might have been mercy being shown by him, the game was called off after a second lightening delay in the 3rd quarter. It was 48-0 in the 2nd when the first delay hit and the refs decided to use a running clock to try to get the game in. Even so, it looked like FSU may still have covered but someone else intervened. Had it gone the distance and no running clock used, it would have been 84-0 heading into the 4th quarter with ease.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Board Icon

Looks like FSU is for real, they laid a heck of a spanking on Wake Forest. Too bad Doak holds 92K but it only had about 65-70K there. Tough times it looks like. Speaking of, how about the turnout at Miami yesterday:[ATTACH=CONFIG]1124[/ATTACH]

USC goes down at Stanford for the 4th straight year, something that has never happened in that rivalry.

Bama looks completely unbeatable, they destroyed Arkansas who appeared to give up after going down 38-0.

LA-Monroe nearly did it again at Auburn. A missed FG saved Auburn in OT.

Oregon looks great against such inferior opponents, wonder how they will look in the Pac-12 games........

VT gets upset at lowly Pitt. Not just upset but embarrassed. The Chokies make another early season appearance.

UVA got lambasted at GT, that one got out of control early, guess they are just a pretender.

UT-UF turned into a good game there. UF slapped Dooley's boys down in the end though. How does UT respond?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 656617525.jpg (88.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Board Icon

What a Saturday!!!

WV-Baylor was incredible. Both sides were setting records. Stamp Geno Smith's name on the Heisman at this point. That was NCAA Football 2013 worthy right there, he went all video game style on the Baylor D. I did love the commentators, Baylor is running a 3-4 D, they need to pressure Smith. Hey dingo's, if they are already in a pass D and can't stop the pass then what leads you to believe taking guys out of pass coverage to blitz is going to fix it? They are already beating the 8 guys you have in pass D so let's take 2-3 away and see if that stops them from completing passes........yeah bright idea.

UNC goes nuts on Idaho, it was 45-0 at the half in a monsoon.

Speaking of monsoon, the Southern Miss-Louisville game was unreal. Good thing it was astro turf, half the field had water standing on it ankle deep.

Big Orange nearly pulled the big upset on UGA in another shootout game.

DOOK gets their first ACC win in something like 3 years over Wake Forest.

How about Mike Leach giving Oregon a good fight till the 2nd half?

Arkansas got flat spanked at TAMU and now they head to Auburn who looks like they may have found a little something against LSU.

LSU nearly got hoodwinked by Towson..........

Bama just keeps keeping on.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Tennessee did well with their first game. I hope that we can get back to playing football with this new coach. We will see how well they can play when we go against one of the major SEC schools.
As a life long Vol fan myself, that was the worst season I can remember! Now that UT has given "The Dools" the boot I'm hoping for better times with Butch Jones.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Board Icon

What a messed up, disappointing season. Or well maybe for some.
I figured Arkansas would have struggled with coach Smith but I didn't realize that John L Smith was THAT bad.
OU did good but still laid a couple goose eggs. I figured the sooners would have been top notch with mike stoops back but maybe another year.
And Alabama is back in it again. I don't know who to root for. I'd like to see a rare team win but I don't care for Notre dame. Between a rock and a stump.
If ND can spread the field, they should win. Not sure if that would be a good thing.
Baylor did a number on ucla last night. Not sure what happened in the last month but Baylor found a defense.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I think Baylor is going to be a force to be reckoned with, in the near future anyway. OU is NOT ready for the "Big Stage". We don't recruit well enough, I don't know what the deal is. We need some linebacking help bigtime. I still say we don't have that killer instinct. We'll see what happens next year when Bell take over at QB. He's alot more of a Rah Rah kind of guy where Landry Jones was so blahse' about everything. Bell could be the difference who knows. Sometimes it just takes 1 little thing to make all the difference in the world. The "team" might suck but I think Bell is going to be an awesome Player/QB. The Bowl game will be interesting. IF, and it's a big IF, IF OU comes to play they can/will beat A&M. If they show up and start turning over the ball, making stupid turnovers, or let Mizel do what he wants, they're going to get a spanking big time. Their won't be any playing half assed and still being able to win against these guys. Sumlin is going to have them fired up, especially since he's only 3 or 4 yrs removed from OU's staff.

Bielema will make Arkansas a force pretty quick I would think. They're going to be running the ball, that's for sure.

I think I would rather see ND win instead of Bama. I could really care less but if I had my druthers, ND. I can't stand Saban but you gotta give it to him, he wins! I keep hearing that they are worried about him going back to the NFL but I think he learned his lesson with that. Unless his arrogance or the challenge of it tell's him that he can make his way work in the NFL, I think he stays in the College game. I think he would go to another College team before he went back to the NFL.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Board Icon

If OU can hold down Manziel for 4 quarters then you can beat that Saban will immediately be on the phone to Stoops, "Hello..." I doubt it happens.

Arkansas is in major shambles, like Miss St circa 2005 shambles. They are torrible. Bielema can take the easy route by picking up a ton of JUCO players or actually build something to last by recruiting AND playing freshmen next year. He will need time, will he get that time? Running the ball in the SEC is a foreign language, particularly the way Bielema is used to running the ball. The Big Ten style against the SEC teams has always gotten hammered by the SEC speed. He did zero building at Wisconsin, Barry Alvarez retired and the parts were already in place, all Brett had to do was replace the parts as needed. Now he has to actually build a program...........

Saban back to the NFL.............rumor is Cleveland has talked and Saban is listening. My gut feeling, he will stay at Bama for a while. Why leave again when you know your successful AND making great money where you are? There is a reason guys like Eddie Robinson, Joe Paterno and Frank Beamer just to name a few have hung around college and never gone to the pro's. Very few good college coaches have gone on to the pro's and lasted. Jimmy Johnson may have been the only one with great success.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Board Icon

So, here I am watching the BCS "title" bowl game and what a bust.

Notre Dame (a 2nd tier team at BEST...) is losing badly to an SEC team (or so I think.) Point is... Notre Dame shouldn't even BE in this league. ... And they're NOT!

TOO many bowl games. TOO much "inter-league" ratings. I can't believe I'm wasting my time this way!

Georgia should be playing Alabama! Or LSU! ANYBODY with a serious program!

Best reason I can think of for a "playoff" system for the BCS.