View Poll Results: Does OSU deserve the Death Penalty in football?
Yes 4 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well the NCAA says the Death Penalty has been shelved after how bad it hurt SMU in football. I really think this is the perfect chance to bring it back out and see how it works on a real Big Boy school. Look at all the teams that have been "severely" punished since the 90's, Bama was twice given a severe penalty, both times they have bounced back. Miami was given what was considered overly harsh penalties, they bounced back within 3 years. Reducing scholarships and bowl bans do nothing because these schools are too big. That would really hurt the smaller schools like Boise was a few years ago when they were fighting to get on TV any chance they could. SMU was a small school trying to make the leap to the big boys when they got hammered. No true biggie has ever gotten the DP.

I don't see OSU losing football for 5 years, I would like to see them lose it per the DP for 2 years but it's doubtful right now that happens. Instead they will probably end up losing most all of their scholarships over the next 5 years, Bowl ban and possibly a 2 year TV ban. They get 85 scholarships to give out, if they lose half of those it still isn't a big deal for OSU. They get a lot of in-state players, tuition to OSU is nothing if your from Ohio so having to pay your way and be considered a walk-on wouldn't be a big deal to most of their recruits. They could then save the scholarships for the out of state players they want. Wonder if the NCAA is aware of that little nugget. The TV ban is a bad deal not just for OSU but for anyone else they play who normally would play on TV, they will also be affected if they play OSU.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Well.......no matter what happens, the people that truly deserve the punishment are going to either end up getting off scott free or they will end up millionares. Their ought to be some way of going after the folks that are the main ones that cause the problems in the first place. It's just a sign of the times that their is "0" accountability in the world today. Pryor, Tressell and the others will be able to stand off in the background and watch the house of cards fall.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Board Icon

OSU has made a last ditch Hail Mary to try and avoid the most severe penalty that will be handed down since the SMU Death Penalty. They will vacate all 12 victories from last season. Wonder if that means they will mail Arkansas the Sugar Bowl trophy and make the players give back anything they got for being Big Ten and Sugar Bowl champs?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Board Icon

OSU will survive, no death penalty coming. The NCAA stated Friday that OSU had not lost institutional control so they would avoid the harshest of penalties possible. In other news, LSU avoided getting penalized because their compliance office actually did something with a player who may have been ineligible. They even stated that had it not been for some good compliance office questioning, LSU would have gotten a pretty good penalty. OSU did not do that, they pretended to investigate the charges while the school begged the NCAA to allow the 5 players to play in the Sugar Bowl.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Pryor's arrogance will be his final undoing, it has already cost him his college career. I had stated before his arrogance coming out of high school was unprecedented, for me anyway. He has played a big part in what happened at OSU and now he's running from it. I just can't see him succeding in the NFL. They will make mince meat out of him. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am I'll be the first to admit it. I will be the first to admit the guy has ALL the talent in the world. He reminds me of Vince Young when he was in college. Tacklers just seem to fall off of him like it's nothing, that has always amazed me when players can make it look that easy. What a shame.

Ohio State bans Terrelle Pryor for five years, says he couldn't play in '11 season - ESPN

Last edited by robertt; 07-27-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Board Icon

I agree, I think his arrogance will get the best of him. I would not be surprised to see him come out after whatever penalties are handed down and tell all about it to rub some more egg on the NCAA's face. The only thing that would surprise me is if he keeps quiet until the limitations run out then spill the beans. Remember though, some of this stuff has been traced back as far as 2003, well before Pryor came along.

He plays like Vince Young but his attitude is different than Young's coming out of school. Young became a lot more arrogant after he got to the NFL, Pryor was already there going into school, just like Maurice Clarett. He was caught at the start of classes in his Freshman year skipping class by Tressel himself. The boy was already talking about the NFL before he had even played 1 game at OSU.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Board Icon

So it seems OSU is still having trouble keeping their players out of trouble. This just continues to show they have lost all institutional control which should be the Death Penalty:
Quote:
Ohio State is in trouble with the NCAA again, this time because three Buckeyes players—including two who have already been sitting out for taking cash and free tattoos—accepted too much money for too little work in their summer jobs.

Athletic Director Gene Smith insisted at a Monday afternoon news conference that there was no “systemic” problem at Ohio State, which has admitted to having several players involved in different NCAA violations over the past 10 months.

He blamed it all on the athletes, former coach Jim Tressel and a booster who on Monday was banned from further contact with the Buckeyes.
What in the world is he smoking? 2 of them were already in trouble before this summer job incident and yet again they broke the rules, it's a school problem. I cannot believe his arrogance just because he used to be a part of the NCAA.

3 Ohio State players suspended for Nebraska game - College Football - Rivals.com