User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

No division here. Hopefully, Tennessee will beat Florida on Saturday. GO VOLS!! :clap:
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Board Icon

I wouldn't mind seeing an upset!

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 09-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Board Icon

Hey, I've got a question....

What do yall think about the dude (can't remember his name) from Detroit that caught the TD pass in the endzone and they called it incomplete??
Me personally, I'd say it was a catch. He had both feet in, and he crossed the plain and the ball was secure in his hands. Once he hit the ground, the play was done/over. Touchdown.
Here's my question; what if he would have "pitched" the ball to the ref, like a lot of guys do?? Or.. what if he would have spiked the ball, or thrown it into the stands, right before he hit the turf?? Would that still been a catch?

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 09-18-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Hey, I've got a question....

What do yall think about the dude (can't remember his name) from Detroit that caught the TD pass in the endzone and they called it incomplete??
First and foremost, as a Chicago Bears fan, I have to say it was incomplete, we win. However, if I were just an unbias person watching the game, I'd have to say it was a catch, TD, and Detroit wins. That being said, according to the rules it was indeed incomplete, even though you wouldn't think so. As far as him spiking it or tossing it to the ref, that would have required complete control, which the fact he didn't have that is why it was ruled incomplete, otherwise, that probably WOULD have made a difference.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Board Icon

That Detroit-Chicago ending goes back 11 years to the Bucs-Rams playoff game and a catch that was wasn't a catch which led to a rule change/clarification.

Quote:
Following a 30-yard touchdown pass from Rams quarterback Kurt Warner to Ricky Proehl to with 4:44 left in the game to give the Rams a 11-6 lead, Buccaneers quarterback Shaun King leads his team down the field in hopes of scoring the winning touchdown.

King complete a 11-yard pass to Bert Emanuel at the Rams’ 22-yard line for a first down with 47 seconds left when the officials in the replay booth stopped play to review Emanuel’s catch. Emanuel had control of the ball the entire time but the nose of the ball touched the ground leading to referee Bill Carollo to overturn the call on the field and ruling it an incomplete pass, making it third down for Tampa at the 33-yard line.

King threw incompletion on third and fourth down, ending the Buccaneers’ chances of advancing to the Super Bowl and allowing the Rams to escape with an 11-6 victory.

During the next offseason, the NFL changed the rules to accompany such a catch as the one Emanuel made in the NFC Championship Game against the Rams.
You have to maintain possession of the ball the entire time. Before 1999, the ruling in the Detroit game would have been a catch because the ground cannot cause an incompletion or fumble. The ground still cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass now. This ruling has happened a few times since 1999 but never at the end of a game like this where it made a difference in the outcome.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Well, I thought that Tennessee might just win against Florida yesterday. They got off to a strong start and did well until the 4th quarter. After a turnover they seemed to have not been paying attention to what Florida was doing. Tennessee had a lot of penalties. Perhaps it is due to the inexperience of the entire team. Fulmer seemed to have done a better job of getting strong players than the new guy. Hopefully, they will gain some momentum as the season progresses. I still can't believe that they blew it in the 4th quarter. I think the final was 31 to 17. Very disappointing.

I started to watch Texas and Texas Tech after the Tennessee/Florida game, but decided against it.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Board Icon

UT is going to be good in a few years. Remember, Dooley came onto the job at the end of recruiting season so he was stuck with whatever Lane Kiffin brought in. He's doing the best he can with what he has and they've been good for the first half of games against Oregon and Florida. Dooley knows he walked into a mess at UT and has stated that a few times. I applaud him for the fight he is getting out of these kids.

How about Oregon, ridiculous scores. Remember their top QB in Masoli was sent packing this past spring...............69-0 over Portland St, can't say they aren't pounding the daylights out of teams they should be pounding the daylights out of.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 AM

Everyone keeps forgetting how much talent Florida has right now. I understand they are in a "rebuilding year" and that Brantley hasn't shown the potential everyone was expecting, but the man hasn't played football in 3 years. He is a good quarterback if everyone would be a little more patient with him finding his rhythm. He did, afterall, break every single one of Tebow's high school records the following year. Its a little hard to be good at anything when you first start doing it again after having sat on the sidelines for three years, especially when you are trying to fill the shoes that he is. The Gators have really only played three quarters of football this season so far, and look what they have done. Each of their wins, all of the points came in one quarter. They do have the team to beat anyone in the country if the are firing on all cylinders. I just hope they get the kinks worked out before someone that can do some damage to them shows up on the schedule. I know no one has been that impressed with them, which is why they keep falling in the rankings despite winning, but seriously, they play one quarter and win by 21+ the first two games. Then they play a mid-caliber SEC team on the road, play only one quarter again, and still win by 14. Imagine what they will be capable of if they can get it together for 60 minutes.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
UT is going to be good in a few years. Remember, Dooley came onto the job at the end of recruiting season so he was stuck with whatever Lane Kiffin brought in. He's doing the best he can with what he has and they've been good for the first half of games against Oregon and Florida. Dooley knows he walked into a mess at UT and has stated that a few times. I applaud him for the fight he is getting out of these kids.
They still have a lot of work to do. Hopefully, they can get it together. I still can't believe that Tennessee isn't even in the BCS rankings. I think that they will get their rhythm. They have done a good job part of the game, but seemed to have run out of steam. You can tell it is a young team by the way they are playing, but everyone needs to learn.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Board Icon

I think what hurt Tennessee the most was the fake punt. 4th and 8, and Florida got 35 yards out of it. I think that's what took the momentum out of the Vols.
Mr. Ford made a very good point. When you get hired to coach a team, you have what the previous coach had. Might be good, or it could be bad. Kinda like that coach that Miami had. He hired on because Butch Davis went to the NFL. He walked into a gold mind. Won a National Title, but then, Miami went to pot the next few years. If this Cooley guy is a good recruiter, Tennessee should be back in a few years.
You didn't miss anything on the Texas/Tech game, GMAN. I watched about 3 and a half quarters and I went to bed. Tech has a guy who is a defensive back, and he had a problem keeping his mouth shut. He gave up 30 yards, because he didn't use his head. One of them was a late hit. In the 3rd quarter, it was 3rd and long for the Longhorns, and Texas passed the ball, but the receiver didn't catch it. The Tech cornerback stood over the Texas kid, and taunted. In other words, Texas got a first down, and then they scored. I went to bed after that. That loud mouth cost Tech 30 yards, and a touchdown. He wouldn't play for me.

How bout them Cowboys??? :hellno: :roll:

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 09-20-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos