Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
:hellno:
That's crazy. I can't quote the lyrics of the song, but it sure shows that they aren't too fond of the Univeristy of Texas. :lol:

On a side note, I'm watching Houston and UTEP play, and Houston ran a beautiful Statue of Liberty play. Man, it was pretty!

The Longhorn and Aggie rivalry is comparable to Alabama and Auburn or Tennessee and Florida.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Board Icon

Oh yeah. It's huge! There is so much hatred between the two.
Speaking of rivalries, Georgia and Florida. My wife is from south Georgia. I always knew the cocktail party was a rivalry, (like the ones you mentioned) but I didn't realize how much hatred there was. The first year we were married, I was watching Florida and, I believe it was Ole Miss. My wife went through the roof!! She said, "Why are we watching Florida?!?!?! I said, "Well, it's an SEC game. SEC games are always good games." She said, "The only time I want to watch Florida, is when Georgia is kicking their butts!!!" She also said, "I hate Florida. I detest them, and it makes me puke every time I see them." I just sat there, I didn't know what to say! We found another game to watch. :lol: Right then, I figured out that Georgia and Florida was more than just a good rivalry. :lol:
I guess it's kinda like my mom. She cannot stand Texas. She's from Fort Smith. and I guess, I've got the same genes.
I've always had 3 favorite teams. My mom's side of the family is from Fort Smith. Arkansas is my one of my teams. (I guess that's why I've never liked LSU) My dad's dad was from Oklahoma. OU is my other team. My dad's older brother went to Baylor, so my dad has always liked Baylor. I'm not as big of a Baylor fan as my dad, or my uncle, but I've always rooted for them when they play. Especially, Texas.

GMAN, you mentioned Bobby Bowden the other day..
I was listening to Tim Brando yesterday. He had Coach Bowden on his show. One thing I remember in the show. Coach Bowden said, "One thing I've always told the kids, is when you hit somebody, undress em. Hit em hard enough to knock off every stitch of their uniform." Then he said, "Somebody asked me one time, 'how do you say that, and be a Christian?' well, I didn't tell em to make an illegal hit. I just said hit em hard." :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 09-14-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Board Icon

I was listening to another show yesterday, and a couple of guys were talking about Notre Dame. One of the guys said, "How many times do you go to a restaurant, and there is a sign that says, 'Under new management?'" He also said, "You go inside, and the food is no different, the service is as bad now as it was before. That's the same way with Notre Dame. They have a new coach, but it's still the same team. They're not going to be a top ranked team anytime soon."
I thought, how sad :lol:

I was watching Alabama and Penn St. I figured Penn St would have kept the game tight. James Madison snuck in on Virginia Tech. I guess the Hokies never got over from Boise St. How bout South Dakota? They beat Minnesota. I know Minnesota isn't a top ranked team, but still.. :hellno:
I also saw Miami and Ohio St. Looked like the Canes couldn't get it together. Kept shooting themselves in the foot. Their special teams are still hot. Man!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We have seen quite a few changes in the game the last couple of years. I was not able to see Tennessee play this last week. It is probably just as well with the performance they gave. Our big game with Florida is this week. It should be a good game. All of the SEC teams are very competitive. I think the main reason most of us detest Florida is their attitude. They seem to always want to rub your nose in it. I remember one year when Steve Spurier was still coach. Florida had just beaten Alabama in a close game. I never will forget how he berated his own team for not running up the score. They not only want to beat the other team, but humiliate them. That attitude is probably most responsible for the way most of the other SEC teams and fans see Florida. Phillip Fulmer never tried to run up the score, even when he could. I always respected him for that. Had he done that we would probably have done better with some of the BCS rankings. We have a strong rivalry with Georgia, but it isn't as strong as Florida. I have close ties with Georgia and Tennessee.

My wife loves Texas. She is a 5th or 7th generation native. I would love for Tennessee and Texas to play some time. Two orange teams. Of course, the shades are different, but it could get a bit confusing. I would say that my wife and I would need to sit on opposite sides of the stadium should that happen. :lol:
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 AM

First of all, I have to say GO GATORS!!! Ok, got that out of the way. Sure Florida doesn't look like the Florida of the last few years, but their entire team has been built around one man for the last fours years. Brantley is expected to be great, he did break all of Tebow's high school records. Sure he looks a little rough at the moment, but he will get used to playing on this level quickly. The team may have shot themselves in the foot a few times in the first few games, but despite that they won both by more than 21 points, which is a quality win, despite the fact they aren't SEC quality teams. The true test will be this coming weekend to see if they can play against the big boys. No offense to any Tennessee fans, but the program up there has dropped off a little over the last several years, so I think it will be a good introduction game for Gators into SEC play in this high expectation rebuilding year. Brantley is no where near the size of Tebow and therefore they have to completely change their school of thought down in Gainesville. Sure there have been a few kinks, but I truly believe they are working them out and this team will live up to what it is expected to do. Unfortunately, I do see them dropping the one in Tuscaloosa, but I don't believe either Urban Meyer or Nick Saban can win two in the same year against the other one. So when Alabama meets the boys in blue and orange in Atlanta....GAME ON. Again, this is unfortunate for both school and the SEC as a whole, because yet again the SEC will beat itself up and take all the teams in the South out of contention by the computers.

I believe Ohio State is a little over-rated this year and see them losing one if not two this year, leaving my prediction of a non-BCS BCS National Title game featuring TCU vs Boise State and the Broncos taking home the trophy to plant on their blue field.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, Tennessee has been off the last few years. The program is in a rebuilding stage. There have been a lot of changes in the staff. This is the second coaching change since Phillip Fulmer. The current coach has high expectations. Tennessee alumni and fans are accustomed to having a strong team. I don't see the fans abandoning the Vols, but they are not going to be too patient if the team doesn't turn around soon. The alumni association was not at all happy with Fulmer the last 2 or 3 years of his tenure. The football team makes a lot of money for the university. Anyone who coaches is expected to function at a high level of competency. This weekend we will see how well they will likely perform the rest of the season. Several of the SEC teams are in a rebuilding mode. I am anxious for them to get back to the level of performance we expect of them.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Any team outside of Michigan... or Green Bay, Wizz, are nothing but a bunch of prancing Nancy's.

Sure... you win a few games, but your teams all act like a bunch of bitchy little girls...
and the fans whine like babies... whenever the temperature drops below 0.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Board Regular

Ohio State all the way this year! Their quarter back is talented, for sure.

Buckeye Baby all the way!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Board Icon

Wasn't too impressed with OSU against Miami. Miami handed them the ball 6 times inside the 30 yard line, very short fields, and all OSU could muster was 2 TD's and 3 FG's. OSU's Special Teams gave up 2 TD's, 1 punt return and 1 kickoff return. Miami played right with OSU, they had 4 turnovers to OSU's 0 which is what cost them. OSU should have put them away the last 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when they had the ball 3 times inside the Miami 28 yard line to start.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Board Icon

I'm kinda thinking the same thing, Mr. Ford. I know Miami has one of the fastest defenses, but I figured Ohio St would have been up by 40 points at the half, from the way Harris was giving them the ball right back. You take away those picks that Harris threw, and it's a different ball game.

Georgia and Arkansas play this week. It's gonna be a house divided. :lol:
Texas, and Texas Tech play saturday night. That one should be interesting.