User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Say Good Bye To The House That Ruth Built

I went to my last Yankee game at the old stadium last night. I was kind of saddened when I heard Frank playing after they won against the White Sox. For those who don't know - "New York, New York" is played after every Yankee game. To think the only Yankee Stadium I have ever known is coming down after this season. A lot of people stayed after the game to take a few last pictures and just look around.

I have had the privilege of going on to the field. Hollowed ground to many baseball fans. I have a friend who, always wanted to slide into homeplate. I told her, go for it, here is your chance. She had a running start from 3rd base and tried to slide home. She missed the plate by about 3 feet. I have taken dirt from homeplate at Yankee Stadium. I have walked in the outfield and the warning track.

We were invited to last night's game by a friend of my husband's. He got the family field credentials. We brought my cousin with us. It was the first time on the field for her. We saw A-Rod and Hideki Matsui take batting practice. We met John Sterling, the radio voice of the Yankees. We sat in the dugout and took pictures. While we were in the dugout, Andy Petitte was there signing autographs for the kids. He signed my daughter's and my cousin's baseballs, very nice guy. Our seats were behind right field, next to the "bleacher creatures". I always wanted to be a bleacher creature. One day, I guess, in the new stadium.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Now, when they dynamite the stadium, can they make sure the entire Stienbrenner family is dynamited, too? That family has done more for the demise of baseball than any other group of people alive.

:sad:

I hate them almost as much as I hate Tom Brady and Bill Belicheat. Almost, but not quite.

:P

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

Sorry TF, no implosions. The new stadium is too close, probably a wrecking ball. If makes you feel better, I was close enough to Brian Cashman to run up and slap his butt.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Board Icon

I remember when they tore down County Stadium in Milwaukee. Everyone was up in arms about it, because they were expecting some cold, lifeless POS to take its place. What they got was a warm, rich building that is much more versatile than the old stadium ever could have been. It was fun to watch it being built too, especially when they dropped a crane on it and killed several workers. ops:
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Board Icon

The new stadium is too close? When Cincinnati took down Riverfront the new Great American Ballpark's either left or right field stands were partly in the Riverfront stadium. The distance was all of 8 feet and they imploded Riverfront with no damage to GAB. It's all about who you get to do the dynamiting, how well they know where to place charges and how large of a charge to use.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

I think there is city ordinance about imploding buildings in NYC. That's one reason why they won't do it. As far back I can remember, they just don't do implosions in New York City.

The new field is across the street. Looks great from the outside.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Too close?

Look how close the new one is when THREE RIVERS was brought done.

Sad, sad day when they brought that icon down :cry:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE