User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Why wouldn't Gibbs want a alcohol sponserd car?

It seems to me the three best teams in this order are Hendrick, Gibbs, and Childress but Gibbs and Childress could change spots pretty easy.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Now that Junior has quit DEI where's he gonna go? A free agent maybe (if there is such a thing in auto racing)? 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Now that Junior has quit DEI where's he gonna go? A free agent maybe (if there is such a thing in auto racing)? 8)
That's exactly what he is. Unless there's alot that he didn't say in the Press Conference he doesn't have a clue. He'll go with RCR though.

Listening to Kelly and Jr. I get the feeling Kelly is leading Jr. by the Nose
Thing I don't really like is that no matter where he goes he's still going to get paid by DEI.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Jr gave Theresa a pretty smarmy shot when, I'm paraphrasing, that she will be in a home in a few years.
The story was about his maternal mother Brenda,he was talking about setting his family up for life and how that was a concern in looking for a new contract.He even said it was kinda hard to say with her sitting there that he would have to take care of her in the future,kinda a weird comment but I can't imagine all that was running through his mind up there.

Personally I feel better about his decision today since the idea of him running his own team seems not to be high on the priority list and would rather hire on with an established team,my guess is RCR,but I will say one thing NO NUMBER THREE CAR!. I saw the #3 car for the last time as far as I am concerned on Feb. 18th 2001.Richard already has the #33 so that would be my guess.They won't be able to make enough meomorablia to keep the shelves stocked.

I think Hendrick would provide the best oppurtunity to win a championship,but as a fan I don't feel Jr. would fit in very well over there,seems to be a different enviroment at HMS.

Gibbs is another choice,it would be interesting to see if Joe Gibbs would accept the beer sponsorship(I would bet no).

So really the only logical choice is RCR,I don't think that Hendrick would want to move Mears after only one year,but when you are talking about the most popular and most marketable driver in Nascar all bets are off,the owners must all have dollar signs in their eyes thinking about all the possibilites.

Jeff Hammond had the best comment he said DEI has now lost their second Dale Earnhardt.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Look for him to go to Ginn racing think about it has 2 older drivers and next year will have a rookie needs a younger full time number one driver. Ginn has and wants to spend the money to make his team dominant already has Hendrick powerplants in them. Could release Marlin after next year for Turex to come over no problem there. They almost one the 500 with Martin this year. Gibbs racing will not allow a beer sponsor so Bud is out there eliminates them RCR he would be the 3rd driver and competing with a hothead in Harvick. Hendrick would cost him to many fans. Ginn is a BILLIONARIE NO ONE CAN OUT SPEND THIS GUY to get him.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
RCR he would be the 3rd driver and competing with a hothead in Harvick.
3rd driver?........be back soon,I can't stop laughing at this comment

Old 05-11-2007, 06:45 PM

3rd Champion caliber driver I do not see Bowyer competing yet for the title. Plus Jr is going to want to go someplace were he can bring Truex on after next year and Ginn could do that since Marlin and Joe Nemocekix contracts are up after next season so letting one of them go would not be a problem. Put yourself in Harvick's shoes you have been the top dog for years at RCR now all of a sudden here comes Jr on the team you are telling me you would not have a chip on your shoulder. Besides Jr said it best yesterday HIMSELF he wants to be able to find his own place and team RCR would want him in the 3 so fast that he could not have a chance to be Jr. Ginn however would let him be himself and if they needed something would spend whatever it took to get it plain and simple.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Board Icon

Ginn is out of the question. They are established but they are not running for a title yet and that is a biggie for Jr. They have 3 teams, 2 of which are struggling big time.

Hendrick is out of the question because they have 4 teams already, Nascar's new limit. Unless you already had 5 teams before the rule was added, your ok for a few more years before you have to be down to 4 teams, you cannot go and add a 5th one now. Kyle Busch is in discussions for a contract extension, who knows, he could suddenly get pissy and walk away from Hendrick(would be stupid but Kyle isn't the brightest one at times.) Hendrick is not going to boot Mears after 1 year, he knows what it takes to give a driver a shot. He stuck with Jeff Gordon while Gordon was tearing up cars left and right his first 2 years.

Gibbs is out because they are much like Petty and beer sponsors. Yes, Gibbs runs in the Bud Shootout and run the little stickers for it but that is all they are willing to put on their cars. Petty refuses to even run the stickers, which means they are not eligible for the Bud Shootout if they ever win a pole. Both are very family oriented teams.

Hall of Fame Racing is out, not established enough to be running for titles as they still run 2nd rate equipment from the Gibbs shop. They are getting better every week but it's a step down from DEI.

Jr already has who he wants to race with and if they don't work out, he will become an owner/driver. RCR is Jr's only choice, after that it will be his own team. Richard is not going to force Jr into the #3 ironeagle. He will only put it back on the track if Jr says it's ok and that an Earnhardt is driving it. He has been quoted numerous times on that. BTW, Truex is NOT leaving DEI unless they send him away. He is under contract for next year.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Remember this if Martin was running a full schedule he would be in the TOP 5 if not LEADING the points right now so GINN could be a title contender from the get go. He just took over that team this year and is pouring cash into it like crazy. He bought a 7 axis shaker and a few other pieces of engineering equipment also. Me does not need the motor department since he runs Hendrick so that gives him more money for chassis He may be the one for Jr. Do not count him out yet.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Board Icon

Bobby Ginn took over the team this year but he was majority owner since the inception of the team. He has thrown money around like it is growing on trees, not smart as money alone doesn't win championships. The difference between last year and this year is that they have a top driver in the car. People thought Mark had been starting to slip, this proves that he has not slipped any. Not a knock on ol' "Front Row" Joe but he is not the talent Mark Martin is, that is why the 01 is running so well. Ginn Racing is on the same level as DEI. They have 1 good team, the 01 and 2 mediocre one's.