Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Random drug screen question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/45993-random-drug-screen-question.html)

Missbhavin 09-27-2016 02:20 PM

Random drug screen question

Hi,
I have searched everywhere on the internet and can't seem to get a straight answer.
On Thursday I had a tooth pulled, I picked this day because I was also off Friday to recuperate. I was prescribed motrin which I didn't fill because I had it already. Thursday evening my tooth started hurting much worse and I took two norco 5/325 (hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen) that I had from my last dental surgery by another dentist. Friday night still hurting worse called dentist and had no after hrs number took two more and went to bed (normally I work nights).
Saturday called in for that night and started searching internet as to why I would have this issue. Didn't take anymore hydrocodone just motrin and got relief with clove oil mixed with a carrier oil to dilute some. Sunday called in again and went to urgent care that said they couldn't help me I would have to go to ER.
Called ER who could not tell me if they accepted my insurance or how much my out of pocket would be. I would have to come in. Went home disgusted as everything is forty miles away and my a/c is out on my pickup so just miserable period. Main concern was what was causing more then normal pain maybe dry socket.
Sunday night much better used clove oil again, plus antibiotics and rinse. Monday called work and found out I'm transferred closer to home yea! Go to dentist he looks it over and says it's OK the clove oil was a good idea and he's sorry for not giving me his number.
Work calls and says I have random drug screen today anytime before 6pm
Questions
Will the hydrocodone show up?
If they ask on paperwork (I can't remember this will be done at NOVA) should I put what I took ? It's my prescription for the same problem but different tooth?
I heard that we can't take old prescriptions, not sure though another driver told me this.
I also read that on the standard dot 5 panal analysis it does not test for hydrocodone but if there is still enough left in my system it will show as something else and that the MRO will call me (if it falls in their amounts )
I found this but it was last amended in 2012.
https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/part40/40_139

I don't really understand it fully either and would appreciate any help I can get.
I've been driving commercial prior to CDLs existing
with a clean record. It would be horrible to to lose my job/livelihood over doing my best to relieve pain. I only took it those two nights while off work and didn't even drive my personal vehicle.
Thank you "

Mr. Ford95 09-27-2016 07:55 PM

It is a narcotic, it will show on a test. When you get there, ask them about it as soon as you walk in. I'd be honest and say you just had dental work done and here is what you took. If you fail to mention it and explain it, they will find out and boom your gone. Bad timing for you because your in a box now. Forget that it was an old prescription and be confident that the recent dentist gave it to you.;)

Missbhavin 09-28-2016 01:54 AM

I've already submitted the sample. Fingers crossed. I asked where I list medications I take and they said you don't they'll call you if they need to.
I think it will be out of my system from what I read ...I hope.
Things are getting really bad if I can't take a pain pill prescribed to me for the same issue different time/tooth while I'm off because of the dental issue.

Mr. Ford95 09-28-2016 02:05 PM

It is a sad reality these days with the meth heads and such abusing drugs that are helpful when used correctly. I'd have never got past my knee surgery without Norco, I struggled horribly for 3 days trying to count pills because I was running low due to a snowstorm closing everything down for 4 days. The pain was terrible when I skipped a dose or cut it in half. The stuff is easy to get hooked on though, that's a big problem in society today. Hope it goes ok for you.

Missbhavin 09-28-2016 02:55 PM

Thank you and I know it's rediculouse and as all rules based on lawsuits I'm sure. One commercial after another of lawyers ready to take in any trucking company.
We should not ever have to be in pain and addiction I think can be handled with changing meds. I have had two meniscus surgeries where I tore it and now there is no cartledge left. I dont take anything for it now just after I had surgery. But I do take boron and curicumin with pepper (it's the active part of the herb tumeric) also use dmso. Without these I would be suffering.
No notification yet from drug test.

repete 09-29-2016 01:47 AM

Call your dentist and explain the situation and ask him for a letter (predated) telling your to take Motrin for pain and to use the Norco for extreme pain. He should be receptive to this considering he "forgot" to give you a phone number. Expect a call on this and be prepared upfront.

GAnthony 09-30-2016 11:47 AM

whenever you get called in for a random, and if you have the time, take along the prescription bottle(s) with you.

only as a natter of self convenience, i keep in my wallet, any meds that i am on currently of have been on, in the past. simple phone calls to you and your doctor will take care of any additional information.

one word of caution to everyone, not just you...never...ever take anyone else's medications. you will NEVER be able to prove any positive drug screening then......