Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   New Hours of Service (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/40517-new-hours-service.html)

mike3fan 11-09-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy (Post 489179)
“substantially different”

translated "substantially worse for drivers"

ilikeike 11-12-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOBee (Post 488959)
Based upon these rules, you need to find a team partner or . .

Winner! Winner! Winner!

Except you said it as though there'll be a choice available. As any fleet owner worth the stains in their Hanes would tell you, the most efficient truck on the road is the 24 hour truck aka TEAM. The proposed rule is the fleet owner's dream come true. Imagine how much better you'll feel when they pat you on the back and announce that, thanks to the new rule, the ONLY way to make a buck is to run teams. "Our hands are tied!"

As for the owner-ops, what are you going to do? Eat the lost revenue or find someone to team up with?

SamIam_Murphy 11-12-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 488166)
I am not saying that Fozzy didn't read this somewhere. And I am not looking for a fight. But, has ANYONE clicked on his "source" link? I have... and there is no "there" there.

Did you wait for it to load? Then you have to click on the PDF link to open the document.
The info Fozzy outlined is there all right.

carolinacopilot 11-12-2010 08:46 PM

I say let them cry when their STUFF isn't in the stores for their convenience. As usual someone telling someone how to do something that they have never done and have no conception of. Oh and the actual extra hours sitting is for when your dispatch is sleepin'.

carolinacopilot 11-12-2010 08:48 PM

just don't do radar in VA ;-)

golfhobo 11-27-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam_Murphy (Post 489293)
Did you wait for it to load? Then you have to click on the PDF link to open the document.
The info Fozzy outlined is there all right.

Okay, thanks. Everything loaded quickly. I clicked on every hyperlink I could find. I didn't know I had to click on the AdobeReader LOGO to see the comments. I have seen them there now.

However....I AGAIN want to point out that this is NOT anything official BY the FMCSA or even the gov't. This is just ONE submitted "comment" by Mr. Jasny who works on behalf of one of the "anti-trucker" groups. Obama has nothing to do with this other than the fact that His administration will be issuing the next interim or final ruling.

Mr. Jasny is just saying that these things SHOULD be included in the new ruling under the Obama administration. That he WANTS them to be included.

In further researching of the Regulations.gov website, I found the following "suggestions" in the form of a report actually REQUESTED by the Obama administration and generated by the DOT/FMCSA task force set up for the purpose of guiding the administration in formulation of the new HOS rules:

Regulations.gov

I think (once again) you will find some of the more trucker-friendly suggestions that I alluded to earlier that I found on the FMCSA site. And, to my mind at least, these might carry a bit more weight than Mr. Jasny's temper tantrum.

Mike3fan had it right, and he agreed with me, that many were overreacting to a "suggestion" that probably has NO chance in Heck of becoming a substantial part of the new HOS rules.

mike3fan 12-03-2010 06:14 AM

from that report "Consider a new comprehensive study on the use of activity monitors and other technologies in CMVs and their potential impact on driver health".

I can see the Lawyers lined up waiting to line their pockets off that one.

Phreddo 12-06-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal (Post 488137)
It'll be interesting to see how this affects team operations as well... would suck to keep a team from moving 4 hours a day because of reduced drive time and increased break time.

Most sleepers have 2 beds and 2 seats. By my reckoning there's room for 3 in there ;)

BTW, I haul fuel, and these companies abuse the hell out of HOS. Just because you are "allowed" to work 70 hours in 5 days doesn't mean you're -supposed- to do that. These guys work 70 hours in 5-6 days a week, take a 34 and do it all over again. That's 14 hour days on paper, and more like 15-16 IRL depending on the computer. And we are also allowed one 16 hour day per 34 hour reset. I would welcome a reduction in HOS just so I can have a life.

I would prefer if they could make some sort of distinction between local and OTR, rather than painting all trucks with the same brush. But since my company crosses state lines, we even then we'd probably be closer to OTR than local.

solo379 12-25-2010 03:41 PM

Well, it seems to be not too bad, but they still didn't adress the issue of flexibility.....
Hours-of-Service (HOS) Proposed Rulemaking (December 2010) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

One 02-06-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckinHax0r (Post 489092)
Why does the governement think they have to create laws to structure when, where, and how, I sleep/drive anyway? It should be as simple as "drive when you're alert, sleep when you're tired." Would it really be that hard to enforce? The current HOS rules, and anything like THAT, only force me to drive when I'm tired and sit while I'm alert, which is exactly the opposite of their intention. I don't get it...

Well I guess you'd never be tired while driving again at 8 hours/day and sitting for 12-16 hours, but you'd sure as hell be bored...

If there were no rules then we would have companies requiring yo to go 1000miles/day and giving you your amphetamines with your bills. It may be good for O/Os to be able to run like they want but if i was forced to run twice the miles for the same pay...i couldnt take it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreddo (Post 490541)
Most sleepers have 2 beds and 2 seats. By my reckoning there's room for 3 in there ;)

BTW, I haul fuel, and these companies abuse the hell out of HOS. Just because you are "allowed" to work 70 hours in 5 days doesn't mean you're -supposed- to do that. These guys work 70 hours in 5-6 days a week, take a 34 and do it all over again. That's 14 hour days on paper, and more like 15-16 IRL depending on the computer. And we are also allowed one 16 hour day per 34 hour reset. I would welcome a reduction in HOS just so I can have a life.

I would prefer if they could make some sort of distinction between local and OTR, rather than painting all trucks with the same brush. But since my company crosses state lines, we even then we'd probably be closer to OTR than local.

Exactly, whatever the max allowable driving time is, we are expected to so so, therefore anyone who slept bad the night before or had a badday o whatever is a hazard. we may be fine with 5-6 hrs sleep ,but regulations are not made for each individaul according to their safe margins. if they were then we'd be competing against eachother for how long we can drive in a day etc.