Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Anyone know of a hazmat routing website? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/40294-anyone-know-hazmat-routing-website.html)

Kurbski 08-23-2010 01:22 AM

Anyone know of a hazmat routing website?

Anyone familiar with an online trip planning website where you can double check a route or map it out online prior to departing? I remember someone posting a link to a DOT or FMCSA hazmat route planning link a while back. It was a mapping site with directions,interstates and routes around tunnels etc...

Fredog 08-23-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurbski (Post 485552)
Anyone familiar with an online trip planning website where you can double check a route or map it out online prior to departing? I remember someone posting a link to a DOT or FMCSA hazmat route planning link a while back. It was a mapping site with directions,interstates and routes around tunnels etc...

here is one
Fleet Suite
didnt you say you bought a Garmin 465t? it has hazmat routing in it

Kurbski 08-23-2010 10:57 AM

Hey Thanks Dave.

Never seen that site before and tried it with IE and Chrome and getting an error msg on it.

Yes, I did post about the 465t and it has hm routes. I just don't trust it yet because it's new to me and was interested in a way to confirm hm routes but might have to grab the ole reliable atlas. As I use the 465 more will keep ya posted on how it performs. It has alot of neat features and info for trucks like coops,fuel, ntts and rest areas. I like that truckdown.com site you posted also and can also pull it up on my phones web browser.If it's got a .mobi extension on the end of the url (CAT Scale Mobile) or an m.before the url Google Mobile for example its phone friendly.If not the web browser locks up on the older phones because the content is to large. Thanks again for that site.

ronjon619 08-23-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 485556)
didnt you say you bought a Garmin 465t? it has hazmat routing in it

does that have low bridges on it?

Kurbski 08-23-2010 01:58 PM

Yes, a warning pop up and alert tone are activated.
Comments for Garmin nuvi 465T Truck GPS Review (GPSmagazine.com)

Fredog 08-23-2010 04:06 PM

I have been using it for about 6 months, hasnt put me on a restricted route yet
you can put in your truck profile as to weight, length, height, and type of hazmat.

Orangetxguy 08-23-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurbski (Post 485578)
Yes, a warning pop up and alert tone are activated.
Comments for Garmin nuvi 465T Truck GPS Review (GPSmagazine.com)

LOL........Just remember Keith.......That Garmin isn't going to warn you inside plants! Your never gonna have to worry about low bridges.....unless you see some with less than 10' 8" of clearance....which you shouldn't if your on a hazmat route........but some of those old plants have wicked surprises overhead!

And they aren't all marked! :smokin:

Kurbski 08-23-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 485584)
I have been using it for about 6 months, hasnt put me on a restricted route yet
you can put in your truck profile as to weight, length, height, and type of hazmat.

Well, thats good news and nice to know it's pretty accurate. Thanks

Kurbski 08-23-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 485611)
LOL........Just remember Keith.......That Garmin isn't going to warn you inside plants! Your never gonna have to worry about low bridges.....unless you see some with less than 10' 8" of clearance....which you shouldn't if your on a hazmat route........but some of those old plants have wicked surprises overhead!

And they aren't all marked! :smokin:

Oh Great, Nothing like a good surprise to get your blood flowing.LOL

Orangetxguy 08-24-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurbski (Post 485616)
Oh Great, Nothing like a good surprise to get your blood flowing.LOL

What surprise?? Just use common sense! Stop...Get out...Look!!

Most plumbng racks in plants have the height posted on the road arches for equipment.

It's when you are manuvering inside the units and making corners where you have to be alert. So...if you are not certain.....Stop. Get out......and look!! Do not ever be ashamed of asking for assistance! Some pretty bad things have happened over the years, because folks were to ashamed to ask for assitance. :eek1:

Most plants have a policy telling their employees to assist any truck driver that asks for thier help.