Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Mudflap warning in TX. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/38719-mudflap-warning-tx.html)

Windwalker 09-18-2009 12:10 AM

Mudflap warning in TX.

Coming out of Corpus Christi, they were a bit thick on 77. I got pulled over just before Odem. No, I wasn't speeding, and nothing wrong with log book or my hours. But the mudflaps on the trailer were more than 8 inches off the road while I was driving. They are the stiff plastic ones, but they've been "sandblasted" over the years with the little grains of sand that get thrown at them by the tires, so they do have a bit of a curl to them. They're legal when standing still, about 6 inches off the road. But when I'm moving, the air moves them back and raises the edges to almost a foot off the road.

He said the trailer needs to have the metal brackets put on to keep them in place while traveling. (No, he did not suggest a cousin that could put them on for me)

But, I gotta wonder... With all the trucks I see going up the road and the mudflaps "flying", has anyone else been told about this? Just a warning, and not a ticket. No money to the State of Texas.

chuck3507 09-18-2009 04:33 AM

Yes, I got the same warning from the same place just a few weeks ago.

Windwalker 09-18-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck3507 (Post 462639)
Yes, I got the same warning from the same place just a few weeks ago.

Was his name "CASTRO" by any chance???? M. Castro Jr.???

Orangetxguy 09-19-2009 12:12 AM

He was just making record there Windy! So many contacts per month!! :p

Windwalker 09-19-2009 01:40 AM

Not only have I never had one of these before, but I've never heard of it either. Missing mudflap, yes, even one that is half torn off. But this one is brand new to me.

On the plus side, he did have a good sense of humor, along with a decent personallity. Not a bad guy, but I nearly accused him of inventing that one.

chuck3507 09-19-2009 04:17 AM

No I wasn't just making contact. I really did get a warning for the same thing and in the same area. Since I am at home and not in the truck where my briefcase is I can't tell you the officers name. It was at the scale house just north of there on 77 in Refugio county though.

wanderingson 09-19-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 462606)
Coming out of Corpus Christi, they were a bit thick on 77. I got pulled over just before Odem. No, I wasn't speeding, and nothing wrong with log book or my hours. But the mudflaps on the trailer were more than 8 inches off the road while I was driving. They are the stiff plastic ones, but they've been "sandblasted" over the years with the little grains of sand that get thrown at them by the tires, so they do have a bit of a curl to them. They're legal when standing still, about 6 inches off the road

But, I gotta wonder... With all the trucks I see going up the road and the mudflaps "flying", has anyone else been told about this? Just a warning, and not a ticket. No money to the State of Texas.

Wow! This is DOT at its finest! LOL. Just looking to bust drivers for whatever they can. Why did they pull you over though? Just a random inspection?
I've never heard of a minimum length for mud flaps while driving, but its probably in the regs somewhere?

Glad they only gave you a warning.

Windwalker 09-19-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderingson (Post 462759)
Wow! This is DOT at its finest! LOL. Just looking to bust drivers for whatever they can. Why did they pull you over though? Just a random inspection?
I've never heard of a minimum length for mud flaps while driving, but its probably in the regs somewhere?

Glad they only gave you a warning.

Actually, it was the mudflap that he pulled me over for. He was sitting on the side of the road when I went by, and said the wind was picking up the flap above legal height. It must stay within 8 inches of the ground at any speed. Makes me wonder about some of those rubber ones that you see flapping in the breeze. You know, the really flexible ones. I'll bet they LOVE those.

kc0iv 09-19-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 462765)
Actually, it was the mudflap that he pulled me over for. He was sitting on the side of the road when I went by, and said the wind was picking up the flap above legal height. It must stay within 8 inches of the ground at any speed. Makes me wonder about some of those rubber ones that you see flapping in the breeze. You know, the really flexible ones. I'll bet they LOVE those.

Quoting from the ntea website: "Currently, there are no federal regulations governing mud laps or splash/spray suppression devices." However, many states do have mud flaps regulations. Texas is one of those states. Quoting from the Texas regulation: "They shall be located and suspended behind the rearmost wheels of such vehicle or, if in combination, behind the rearmost wheels of such combination to within 8" of the surface of the roadway. A tolerance of 4" will be allowed and shall be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting."

kc0iv

dle 09-19-2009 04:29 PM

Was it DPS, County or local that pulled you over?