Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Shipper/Bill Of Lading in logbook (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/35805-shipper-bill-lading-logbook.html)

Jimbpard 10-06-2008 10:28 PM

Shipper/Bill Of Lading in logbook

Was wondering if it is required to fill out the Shipper/B.O.L info in the logbook.

I was listening to America's trucking network and they had a guy from JJ Keller on and he mentioned a few things that you didnt need to fill out such as starting & ending location, so it got me curious.

I sometimes have 8-12 stops a day on my trailer and to try and fit every BOL number on the logbook page is pretty tough.

Rev.Vassago 10-06-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Was wondering if it is required to fill out the Shipper/B.O.L info in the logbook.
§395.8 Driver's record of duty status.

(d) The following information must be included on the form in addition to the grid: (d)(1) Date;
(d)(2) Total miles driving today;
(d)(3) Truck or tractor and trailer number;
(d)(4) Name of carrier;
(d)(5) Driver's signature/certification;
(d)(6) 24 hour period starting time (e.g., midnight, 9:00 a.m., noon, 3:00 p.m.);
(d)(7) Main office address;
(d)(8) Remarks;
(d)(9) Name of co driver;
(d)(10) Total hours (far right edge of grid); and
(d)(11) Shipping document number(s), or name of shipper and commodity.

Under the interpretation, there may be some relief for you:

Quote:

Question 14: What documents satisfy the requirement to show a shipping document number on a record of duty status as found in §395.8(d)(11)? Guidance: The following are some of the documents acceptable to satisfy the requirement: shipping manifests, invoices/freight bills, trip reports, charter orders, special order numbers, bus bills or any other document that identifies a particular movement of passengers or cargo.
In the event of multiple shipments, a single document will satisfy the requirement. If a driver is dispatched on a trip, which is subsequently completed, and then is dispatched on another trip on that calendar day, two shipping document numbers or two shippers and commodities must be shown in the remarks section of the record of duty status.

Jumbo 10-07-2008 01:41 AM

We use trip numbers. Every move has a number assigned to it even an empty move of 3 miles.

b00m 10-07-2008 06:34 AM

Oh yeah, you need to fill in that info.I got cited with a warning at the i 40 port of entry in new mexico for not having that info put it.Also, before the new mexico incident i had the same thing at the scale in misouri before joplin.I thought it was up to each individual scale but obviously it isn't like that.My idea was that the less info you put on the log book the better so they'll not have to look up to.Obviously, i was wrong and lucky i learned with only two warnings.

Double R 10-08-2008 02:03 PM

Where it says "Shipper/Commodity" at the bottom of the page, just write PSP;). All I do is write the name that is on the side of my trailer;)

Rev.Vassago 10-08-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 417335)
Where it says "Shipper/Commodity" at the bottom of the page, just write PSP;). All I do is write the name that is on the side of my trailer;)

That's trouble waiting to happen right there.

Double R 10-08-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 417341)
That's trouble waiting to happen right there.

Why? The company's name is PSP(He's smart enough to write the actual name of the company;)). What is on the side of my trailer IS the shipper's name.

Never had a problem writing the company's name in the "Shipper/Commodity" box. DOT never questioned or gave it a second look.

Rev.Vassago 10-08-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 417350)
Why? The company's name is PSP(He's smart enough to write the actual name of the company;)). What is on the side of my trailer IS the shipper's name.

Never had a problem writing the company's name in the "Shipper/Commodity" box. DOT never questioned or gave it a second look.

I gotcha. You are running for a carrier that hauls their own product. That would work in your situation. For the rest of us general freight haulers, however, that wouldn't work.

Double R 10-08-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 417355)
I gotcha. You are running for a carrier that hauls their own product. That would work in your situation. For the rest of us general freight haulers, however, that wouldn't work.

Correct.:D

belpre122 10-08-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbpard (Post 417116)
I sometimes have 8-12 stops a day on my trailer and to try and fit every BOL number on the logbook page is pretty tough.

Same here Jim. I always find a place to scribble 'em down somewhere in the lower left corner. We had a compliance corporate guy come in a couple of months ago and he said that was exactly what was needed to be done. I know what you mean, mine has numbers everywhere also. Apparently that is what they want though. Small price to pay for being home every day, huh?;)