Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Log Required ?? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/35028-log-required.html)

baileydale 08-15-2008 12:23 PM

Log Required ??

Can someone point me to the regs that state when a log is required. I have taken a part time gig running a single axle 22'box refer for a food company. I very seldon have over 5000 lbs and once every two weeks I have about 19500 lbs. Truck is licensed for 36k I believe. I have one run everyother week that exceeds 100 miles (its around 150 )
Thanks

RebelDarlin 08-15-2008 01:30 PM

Will you be crossing State Lines? If not intrastate regs apply, check with your State. Is a CDL required to drive the vehicle you will be driving? If not, then no logs are needed.

Shouldn't you be asking your employer what they require?

Rat 08-15-2008 03:14 PM

I am not positive but I think that the limit is 33,000 lbs.

Uturn2001 08-15-2008 04:41 PM

You will pretty much need to read the entire thing. There are a lot of if various requirements that must be met in a few different situations to allow a RODS not to be required.

marylandkw 08-15-2008 05:35 PM

Re: Log Required ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
Is a CDL required to drive the vehicle you will be driving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileydale
Truck is licensed for 36k I believe

Anything over 26,001 pounds requires a CDL.

RebelDarlin 08-16-2008 03:02 PM

Re: Log Required ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by marylandkw
Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
Is a CDL required to drive the vehicle you will be driving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileydale
Truck is licensed for 36k I believe

Anything over 26,001 pounds requires a CDL.

Quote:

I have taken a part time gig running a single axle 22'box refer for a food company. I very seldon have over 5000 lbs and once every two weeks I have about 19500 lbs. Truck is licensed for 36k I believe.

He doesn't seem to be very sure of what he's driving, that's why I asked. When you end the sentence with the words "I believe" I think that means he doesn't KNOW for sure.

GMAN 08-17-2008 02:44 PM

It isn't the weight of the cargo but the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the truck that determines whether you need to have a CDL. If you drive a truck that has a GVWR of 33,000 pounds, you need to have a CDL. Go to the fmcsa website and read the requirements.

thebaldeagle655 08-17-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
It isn't the weight of the cargo but the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the truck that determines whether you need to have a CDL. If you drive a truck that has a GVWR of 33,000 pounds, you need to have a CDL. Go to the fmcsa website and read the requirements.

Actually GMAN, you are right but wrong, part 390 under definitions states

Quote:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Since his question was about a log book, not a CDL, yes he needs a log book.

No CDL required for less than 26,001 lbs BUT, if you cross state lines and GVRW is over 10,001 COMBINAtION, you need to run a Log Book, have a DOT #, and insurance. Don't really know about the medical card or drug testing though.

I have 1st hand knowledge about this one, got popped by DOT with a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a gooseneck trailer crossing state lines!

HWD 08-18-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN

Actually GMAN, you are right but wrong, part 390 under definitions states

Quote:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Since his question was about a log book, not a CDL, yes he needs a log book.

No CDL required for less than 26,001 lbs BUT, if you cross state lines and GVRW is over 10,001 COMBINAtION, you need to run a Log Book, have a DOT #, and insurance. Don't really know about the medical card or drug testing though.

I have 1st hand knowledge about this one, got popped by DOT with a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a gooseneck trailer crossing state lines!

To split hairs even further, you are required to have a CDL if you're placarded for hazmat - regardless of GVWR.

rigidsporty 08-25-2008 12:39 AM

I was in food service delivery over a year ago (my back still hurts) driving trucks that required a Class A CDL (see pic below), rarely going past the 100 mile limit, and occasionally crossing state lines... but the only time I was required to fill out a logbook was when I worked over 12 hours (which means I filled one out a lot!)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...y/iwctruck.jpg