Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Can someone please clarify this for me... old 70/8 hos rule (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/28529-can-someone-please-clarify-me-old-70-8-hos-rule.html)

Truckfam 07-26-2007 01:16 AM

Can someone please clarify this for me... old 70/8 hos rule

My husband basically started when the new HOS rules came into effect. I was wondering about what happens when the 34 hour reset is eliminated.

I know it would revert back to the 60/7 or 70/8 rule. When someone drives 70 hours do you have to wait until midnight on the 8th day to gain time back to be able to start driving again?

When you gain the time back, do you have the full 70 back, or do you have to start recycling time with no way to really reset?

Rev.Vassago 07-26-2007 01:37 AM

Re: Can someone please clarify this for me... old 70/8 hos r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truckfam
I know it would revert back to the 60/7 or 70/8 rule. When someone drives 70 hours do you have to wait until midnight on the 8th day to gain time back to be able to start driving again?

Yes, and then you only gain back the hours you had from 8 days ago.

Quote:

When you gain the time back, do you have the full 70 back, or do you have to start recycling time with no way to really reset?
With the old rules, what you did 8 days ago dictates what you can do today. Here's an example:

Day 1. 3 hours
Day 2. 10 hours
Day 3. 10 hours
Day 4. 10 hours
Day 5. 7 hours
Day 6. 10 hours
Day 7. 10 hours
Today. 10 hours

Now, you have used up all 70 of your hours. Tomorrow, you have 3 hours available to you, because that's what you used 8 days ago. Assuming you use them all up, then the day after that, you'll have 10 hours available.

Truckfam 07-26-2007 05:24 PM

Thanks Rev. I sure hope you guys don't loose the 34 hour restart then.

GMAN 07-26-2007 10:14 PM

The only good thing about the new hos is the 34 hour restart. I hope we keep it as well. If not, you will see truck stops selling a lot of extra log books. :wink:

geeshock 07-29-2007 05:28 PM

downside to that is i see many more dot inspections to catch the ppl running 2 logs. of course if you run looseleaf (not saying I've ever done that) :wink:
but I see looseleaf being the wave of the future.

Sealord 07-31-2007 12:50 PM

Old 70/8 HOS

As a rule of thumb, under the old HOS rules, if you log no more than 8.75 hours/day (lines 3 and 4), a driver will not run out of hours. Very necessary to know how to do recap. BOL

cmegobye 08-08-2007 04:54 AM

I started 13 years ago and I prefer not to have a forced 34 hr restart. It is not nice to have to sit for 34 hours in the middle of nowhere because a dispatcher doesn't trust that your addition is correct. The recap is absolutely necessary under the old laws. At midnight you get the hours back that you ran 8 days ago.

golfhobo 08-13-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmegobye
I started 13 years ago and I prefer not to have a forced 34 hr restart. It is not nice to have to sit for 34 hours in the middle of nowhere because a dispatcher doesn't trust that your addition is correct. The recap is absolutely necessary under the old laws. At midnight you get the hours back that you ran 8 days ago.

Just to be clear here, you realize this is a policy YOUR company has. The FMCSA does NOT "require" or "force" a 34 hour reset.

garyavp 08-15-2007 01:12 AM

hey golf. get in any rounds on the road

wanderingson 08-16-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo

Just to be clear here, you realize this is a policy YOUR company has. The FMCSA does NOT "require" or "force" a 34 hour reset.

No, the 34 hr restart is not a company policy.
It is a provision (and part of the rules) of the HOS.
Scroll down a bit, and you will find all the rules about the 34 hr restart.

See this link for the scoop.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...#_Toc111021256