Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   DOT protected lunch/breaks? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/27165-dot-protected-lunch-breaks.html)

geeshock 05-26-2007 04:01 AM

No federal requirements to take a lunch or 15 minute break. It's a mater of if you can find the time. There are many days I've started at 5 or 6 am and not eaten till after 8 pm.

Dawn 05-26-2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock
No federal requirements to take a lunch or 15 minute break. It's a mater of if you can find the time. There are many days I've started at 5 or 6 am and not eaten till after 8 pm.

I am sure you are right, but now he has me thinking are we breaking labor law? Someone assure me the answer is no! WEll now I put logic in it, I would have to say the answer is no. An OTR driver can go 14 hours without a lunch break, so I don't see why a local driver has to take a break. SO ok I am happy with the answer NO they don't have to take a break.

silvan 05-26-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn
I am sure you are right, but now he has me thinking are we breaking labor law? Someone assure me the answer is no!

In the US, we're Fair Labor Standards Act exempt. We have fewer rights as workers than people slinging out burritos at Taco Bell. No federal guarantee of pay, no federal guarantee of time off, no federal limit on the numbers we can work in a row without stopping. The only limits are on driving, but even there, nothing guarantees any pay whatsoever for anything. This is all just as true working for the local Ready Mix place as it is OTR too.

I've even seen job postings for offices positions with trucking companies that listed them as "FLSA-exempt." The FLSA-Exempt Seal of Quality is your Guarantee of no guarantees whatsoever.

Grab your ankles please.

Fredog 05-26-2007 06:04 PM

it does you no good to under the new laws to log lunch and breaks as off duty, it still counts against your clock, this was done so you would have to keep driving instead of stopping, and as we all know, driving longer and then taking a longer break makes you a much safer and more rested driver, that's what the government told me, if they would make it where I could drive 24 hours and then take sleep 24 hours. I would be really rested.

Dawn 05-26-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:

I am sure you are right, but now he has me thinking are we breaking labor law? Someone assure me the answer is no!

In the US, we're Fair Labor Standards Act exempt. We have fewer rights as workers than people slinging out burritos at Taco Bell. No federal guarantee of pay, no federal guarantee of time off, no federal limit on the numbers we can work in a row without stopping. The only limits are on driving, but even there, nothing guarantees any pay whatsoever for anything. This is all just as true working for the local Ready Mix place as it is OTR too.

I've even seen job postings for offices positions with trucking companies that listed them as "FLSA-exempt." The FLSA-Exempt Seal of Quality is your Guarantee of no guarantees whatsoever.

Grab your ankles please.

I forget why local drivers don't get paid time in a half?

Ok I feel better. I know we usually check everything out, but I had my auditor pro that I let handle all the time card issues and she just did the job right :).

Fozzy 05-26-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:

Grab your ankles please.

Ok I feel better. I know we usually check everything out, but I had my auditor pro that I let handle all the time card issues and she just did the job right :).

Because they dont have too...

chapchap70 05-27-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Local drivers only have to be paid time and a half by law if the truck and the freight stays within the state the driver is in. If the freight is transferred to another vehicle and the final destination is a state other than the driver is working in, the exemption kicks in.

That is what I was told by a wage and hour person.

Jackrabbit379 05-27-2007 03:28 AM

I'm a local, and I get paid time and a half. Anything over 40 is time and a half.

Dawn 05-27-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
I'm a local, and I get paid time and a half. Anything over 40 is time and a half.

You are lucky then, unless they changed the rules where we work our drivers don't get time in a half. You might be union? I guess it's up to the state you live in also and or company.
To me you should be paid for time in a half :!:

Jackrabbit379 05-27-2007 08:09 PM

We get paid by the hour. We dont get paid milage. We go by DOT Regulations, and all that, but they still pay time and a half over 40.