Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   New DOT Physical Requirements???? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/25707-new-dot-physical-requirements.html)

kc8vje 03-18-2007 09:46 PM

New DOT Physical Requirements????

I was listening to XM radio a little while ago, and heard a driver call in to the Trucking Bozo Show and state that the DOT rules have changed for physicals..

He went on to say that there is now a requirement for sleep apnea testing if drivers fall within a certain group.

The criteria is as follows:

Anyone with a neck circumference of 17 inches or larger
Anyone with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 35% or greater
Also, a persons Height, weight and Age will be taken into account

If one falls within the criteria, he/she will only get a 3 month certification, and will be required to have rather expensive sleep lab testing done which was speculated that most insurances will not cover.

This testing will cost (possibly out of pocket) $3,000.00 to $5,000.00.

I have attempted a web search on the rules, and have not found any concrete evidence to the fact.

A little food for thought for you fellow drivers to nibble on.

kc0iv 03-19-2007 01:45 AM

Re: New DOT Physical Requirements????

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc8vje
I was listening to XM radio a little while ago, and heard a driver call in to the Trucking Bozo Show and state that the DOT rules have changed for physicals..

He went on to say that there is now a requirement for sleep apnea testing if drivers fall within a certain group.

If one falls within the criteria, he/she will only get a 3 month certification, and will be required to have rather expensive sleep lab testing done which was speculated that most insurances will not cover.

I have attempted a web search on the rules, and have not found any concrete evidence to the fact.

Sleep apnea seem to be the latest fad right now. A year ago no one seem to know anything about. Now it appears everybody has it.

If this goes like the rest of the medical fads it will fade out in a couple of years. Just can't wait for the next one to come down the pike.

I have found anything on either the D.O.T. site nor anything on FMCSA home site.

kc0iv

Fozzy 03-19-2007 02:34 AM

Re: New DOT Physical Requirements????

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc8vje

truckin Bozo was aptly named, I had to stop listening a few months ago, he's like the redneck version of Art Bell...

doug33 03-19-2007 03:37 AM

Do not dis Art Bell.