Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Banning Scale Shenanigans (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/24472-banning-scale-shenanigans.html)

palidian 02-02-2007 08:17 AM

Banning Scale Shenanigans

While I have never been pulled in for inspection here there have been a few drivers at my terminal who have been pulled in. The latest incident, the driver was going threw the empty line, and was flagged in for inspection. During the inspection the driver was asked for the log book, and it was noted that the driver logged 15 minutes for pretrips. The inspector then said you log 15 minutes for pretrips, I want to see you do that, and got out a stopwatch and said you may not use a check list, and if you miss one thing or cannot do it in 15 minutes you'll get 7 tickets for false logs. Needless to say the driver did not pass, however the inspector said ill just give you a warning.

I have several issues with this, first I can do a pretrip every day with a check list, and preforming under pressure is unreasonable. DOT says 15 minutes is good for a pretrip and even if it went 20 minutes you may still log 15.

If I was there I would more then likely just say, wright me the tickets and we can go talk to a judge, about this. Can one be expected to preform under the additional stress? I can find where a DOT officer can ask you to do the 7 point break test, however preforming a full pretrip I cannot find.

I drive threw the Banning scales at least twice a week, and lately they have had there prepass turned off.

What do you all think about this?

doug33 02-02-2007 03:32 PM

A lot of places are turning off the the pre-pass,it is a pain but I guess some staes just really need the money from poor truck drivers .

02-02-2007 05:50 PM

Re: Banning Scale Shenanigans

Quote:

Originally Posted by palidian
While I have never been pulled in for inspection here there have been a few drivers at my terminal who have been pulled in. The latest incident, the driver was going threw the empty line, and was flagged in for inspection. During the inspection the driver was asked for the log book, and it was noted that the driver logged 15 minutes for pretrips. The inspector then said you log 15 minutes for pretrips, I want to see you do that, and got out a stopwatch and said you may not use a check list, and if you miss one thing or cannot do it in 15 minutes you'll get 7 tickets for false logs. Needless to say the driver did not pass, however the inspector said ill just give you a warning.

I have several issues with this, first I can do a pretrip every day with a check list, and preforming under pressure is unreasonable. DOT says 15 minutes is good for a pretrip and even if it went 20 minutes you may still log 15.

If I was there I would more then likely just say, wright me the tickets and we can go talk to a judge, about this. Can one be expected to preform under the additional stress? I can find where a DOT officer can ask you to do the 7 point break test, however preforming a full pretrip I cannot find.

I drive threw the Banning scales at least twice a week, and lately they have had there prepass turned off.

Is this true or a CB story.... I do not buy it. I have been running California for the past 5 years. I have had Level 1,2, and 3 inspections at Dunsmuir, Wheeler Ridge, Fairfield, Banning and some rest areas. I have never been asked to do a pre-trip by a CHP inspector with or without a stopwatch. Whenever I have dealt w/CHP it has been very professional and polite.

I smell :dung:

allan5oh 02-02-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfmotors
I smell :dung:

Horse or Bull?

doug33 02-02-2007 07:17 PM

Does it matter,they both stink

BanditsCousin 02-02-2007 10:24 PM

I could take 30 minutes on a pre-trip if I had to, and probably would to inconvenience the officer 8)

palidian 02-02-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
I could take 30 minutes on a pre-trip if I had to, and probably would to inconvenience the officer 8)

Yes however, the driver had been logging 15 min for pretrips, and if the driver cannot do it in that time, the inspector said he would issue false log tickets.

got mud? 02-03-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palidian

good thing the CHP didnt have fuel pumps to time his fueling! I also smell :dung: of the bull kind

Uturn2001 02-03-2007 05:21 AM

The tickets would not hold up in court. All the regs say about "pretrip" inspections is that the driver is required to ensure the vehicle is in safe operating condition before starting the trip for the day.

aztrucker 02-03-2007 06:10 PM

S really getting deep in here.....Better turn your cb off for a while dude..