User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2018, 04:35 PM
MSarrow
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Should 18 Year Olds Be Allowed As Long-Haul Truckers?

Quote:
Currently 18 year olds can drive intrastate, but if they want to drive across state lines, they’ll have to wait until they’re 21. But new rules being debated by lawmakers may allow people to drive over-the-road even if they can’t order alcohol over the counter.
Your thoughts?

Read our article.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes, but no one should hire them... There are a couple of reasons for this idiotic move.. Trucking reached bottom a couple of decades ago and has continued to dig. Its much easier to hire people who have no background instead of the disasters that are entering the career field these days. It will be a huge disaster and these poor dumb kids will end up being screwed up before their 21st birthday
Old 09-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Yes, but no one should hire them... There are a couple of reasons for this idiotic move.. Trucking reached bottom a couple of decades ago and has continued to dig. Its much easier to hire people who have no background instead of the disasters that are entering the career field these days. It will be a huge disaster and these poor dumb kids will end up being screwed up before their 21st birthday
For years I've chalked up the stupid moves drivers make as the work of a few, but not so much anymore! I've had drivers pull out from the shoulder and take up both lanes and then tell me I need to go to driving school! I've seen them hung up on a guard rail from making an illegal U-turn on the NYS Thruway, I tried to help a driver slide his tandems but he couldn't as his trailer brakes weren't working and yet he continued down I81 into Pa and Va at near gross. Every night I see how some of these dumbshits park, once when waiting for fuel a guy told me he couldn't move his truck for a half hour cause he was on break AT THE PUMP! I've got one more year doing this and I hope its a short one!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
For years I've chalked up the stupid moves drivers make as the work of a few, but not so much anymore! I've had drivers pull out from the shoulder and take up both lanes and then tell me I need to go to driving school! I've seen them hung up on a guard rail from making an illegal U-turn on the NYS Thruway, I tried to help a driver slide his tandems but he couldn't as his trailer brakes weren't working and yet he continued down I81 into Pa and Va at near gross. Every night I see how some of these dumbshits park, once when waiting for fuel a guy told me he couldn't move his truck for a half hour cause he was on break AT THE PUMP! I've got one more year doing this and I hope its a short one!
I think it is the minority of drivers.. but that the minority is like 49% of drivers being unprofessional "lifestyle" drivers. There are more people taking breaks at the pumps than fueling. This happens several times a week where I have had to wait for someone to pull out of the pumps (usually the driver at the pump and the driver in front of them). I have seen numerous u-turns on the freeway through the median, this week I was running down I-40 and moved over for an emergency vehicle on the shoulder.. I saw the rat bag in the truck coming up fast on the right. Never attempted to move over, just passed me at well above the limit (70 zone) and never even thought about moving over. I wish I had options, I really do. The fact is that this is and probably always has been a gutter profession that was doomed to never amount to much. i feel I have wasted most of my adult life on it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
The fact is that this is and probably always has been a gutter profession that was doomed to never amount to much. i feel I have wasted most of my adult life on it.
I don't know about that, I remember a time (I sound like my dad!) 1976 when drivers wore clean clothes and sometimes even uniforms. Not all were polite but most were and all and I mean ALL spoke English! I can understand not stopping to help a driver that's broke down, for the most part repairs are beyond the drivers ability and some company's don't want drivers doing that add in the fact that so much is computer controlled and where do you start? But as to your statement at one time truckers were called Knights of the road because you could count on them for help, now we are known as fat stinky road hogs that just may be a wife beating hooker murdering pedophile. Geez now I wonder why I got into this, would've gotten more respect as a used car salesmen!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-28-2018, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Bradley.. you BL0W DlCKS
Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Rookie
Default Along for the ride

GREETINGS ALL,

NO, 18 years YOUNG should NOT be allowed crossing State Lines as we have enough careless and Wreck FULL "drivers" and need no more hot rod wannabes.
We have High Skul Graddyates that can't write their names or seem more concerned with Selfies than of the 50 mph 90 degree turn that they're approaching at 75 mph in their WRXs and other constructs.

We have ENOUGH clumsy buffoons or addlepated dunderheads that fail to somehow comprehend the simple ability to smoke a cigarette AND drive a 40 Ton Missile without aggravating or humoring the Public through Collisions with other vehicles or creatively detaching themselves from this side of the dirt. Some are DarwinAwards recipients, most are not.
There are ENOUGH wannabe Truckers that cannot back a 53' trailer to a dock in any number of attempts and these geniuses supposedly gradjiated from some "driving school", so go figure.
There are those too that know not which trailer end to hook up and they supposedly gradiated some truck stop driving school or company school.
I've seen young teams at Reefer receivers that between them could not back to a dock with 30' of clearance on both sides.
- - - -
I've been rolling around the USA since late 1999 and when I started, 99% of Drivers SPOKE ENGLISH (some Good, some Bad).
Also WE were much FRIENDLIER and Sesame Street was difficult to get a Radio Check.
That was also when the "hours of service" were 5 hours driving, 4 hours "sleeping" coast to coast, so 10 hours max drive time, 8 in the bunk or off duty, then pedal to the metal, so one could easily and Legally drive 16 hours a day. There were A LOT LESS TRUCK WRECKS, CRASHES, ETC.
Just adding some of my trucker knowings.
- - - -
There were nationwide sights I wish I never saw and except for blood and carnage, some things I wished I seen though I ain't real sure what they were.
- - - -
When I was 18, I had no business in a 4 wheeler let alone 18 wheels.
I waited till I was 40 to become a Twucker.
- - - -
>>Stress Resistance<< Isn't that like when one is sleeping?

CHEERS!!

Last edited by LOONER-1; 10-26-2018 at 06:48 PM.