User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question failed vision test due to weaker eye

Hello My name is danny im new here. I had taken a vision test and failed because my right eye is weaker so ive been wearing a patch on my left eye to strengthen my right and it worked and my right eye can see slightly better. so my question is, if I go and retake the physical vision test and explain what happened will that make it to wear any contacts or glasses and have no restrictions on my cdl? can I still even get my cdl? any help is greatly appreciated thankyou

Last edited by BigDanny89; 08-05-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Rookie

Generally, if you have you have 20/20 vision without correction (glasses or contacts) then you should be able to pass the DOT physical and the "long form" will reflect that, which means you'll be able to get your CDL without the restriction. However, if you require any form of correction to achieve 20/20, then you'll still have the restriction but would still be able to get your CDL with the restriction noted on your license.

Excerpt from: Visual Acuity: What is 20/20 Vision?
20/20 vision is a term used to express normal visual acuity (the clarity or sharpness of vision) measured at a distance of 20 feet. If you have 20/20 vision, you can see clearly at 20 feet what should normally be seen at that distance. If you have 20/100 vision, it means that you must be as close as 20 feet to see what a person with normal vision can see at 100 feet.

For example, I'm roughly 20/40 in my right eye and 20/45 in my left and I have severe astigmatism without my glasses. With my glasses, I'm 20/15 in both eyes and my astigmatism is corrected, so the back of my CDL says "Restrictions: B - Corr. Lenses" which just means I have to wear my glasses (or contacts) while driving.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Do you have glasses? ifso test with them, it won't be a problem. I'm pretty much blind in my left eye but it is correctable with glasses and I've never had a problem passing the eye test. If your trying to get away with out the 'corrective restriction' than your probably out of luck.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Heheh - 20/20. Mine, without glasses is something like 20/500, meaning what normal people can see at 500 feet, I can see at 20. For me to read the largest letter on the vision test clear enough to make out without my glasses, I'm in arms length of it (vs 20 feet).
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I thought my left eye was bad at 20/200! Don't ever lose your glasses Malaki you'll never find your way back to your truck!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Rookie

You might run into problems during a DOT physical as well. Make sure you see an eye doctor and get documentation that you are within the requirements.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 AM
Rookie

This is my case I have 20/20 acuity with both eyes together cover my left the right won't work because it is a lazy eye with corrective lenses together both eyes have 20/20 vision normal so what your saying is my vision with corrective lenses is within the limits but CR England sent me home because of my lazy eye so in other words according to what I have read they sent me home for nothing because my vision is fine and I have an eye doctors statement showing my eyes with corrective lenses are 20/20 when they work together was CR England in the wrong?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2 View Post
This is my case I have 20/20 acuity with both eyes together cover my left the right won't work because it is a lazy eye with corrective lenses together both eyes have 20/20 vision normal so what your saying is my vision with corrective lenses is within the limits but CR England sent me home because of my lazy eye so in other words according to what I have read they sent me home for nothing because my vision is fine and I have an eye doctors statement showing my eyes with corrective lenses are 20/20 when they work together was CR England in the wrong?
Were they "wrong"? Not really... it's their company. The DOT dictates what the minimum standards are. Companies may have stricter rules and or requirements for employment. There are companies that will not accept drivers with a two year medical card, there are companies out there who will not accept drivers who have any waivers at all.

Last edited by Fozzy; 11-25-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling... dammit
Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2 View Post
but CR England sent me home
Count it as a streak of good luck and find a better company that will accept you.