User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default When is 104" wide 102"?

Recently changed flatbed companies and now I am hauling lumber(last company little or no lumber) often. Get to one shipper and they are loading bundles of 2x8" that are 51" wide, 2 across. While 2 times 51" maybe 102" but not when you get it loaded on the truck(my trailer is a 48ft, 102" open deck flatbed). The bundles are not absolutely square and loaded it 103" wide. Ask forklift driver about it, of course the answer "We load these on your trucks all the time". Talked to several drivers at my company and their response is "Yeah, that why company only picks up that load with open deck trailers because it won't fit in the curtain vans we have.". Ask if it is legal and get vague answers.

Just the other day, I go to another shipper and they load bundles that are 52" wide, 2 across. Get the loader to adjust the load some, but measured in several places it is 104" wide. Call dispatch and answer is this is okay, do it all the time, and "Oh yeah, we can't haul these loads on a curtain van".

I have done plenty of oversize loads(Upto 14'2" wide), used QuickDraw rolltop trailers that are 106" wide with the kit on, and attached winches to the rub rail of double drop trailers, so I am comfortable moving wide loads. But, when is it legal w/o permits to transport loads wider than 102"? Is there some regulation that I am not aware of? Or, is this just customer abuse of carriers and drivers, and DOT is turning a blind eye to the issue(Until something happens, then the driver will carry the full blame)?

I suppose I am being naive and just need to live in the real world. Yes, I have done my share of questionable things in trucking, but this issue is new to me.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
Recently changed flatbed companies and now I am hauling lumber(last company little or no lumber) often. Get to one shipper and they are loading bundles of 2x8" that are 51" wide, 2 across. While 2 times 51" maybe 102" but not when you get it loaded on the truck(my trailer is a 48ft, 102" open deck flatbed). The bundles are not absolutely square and loaded it 103" wide. Ask forklift driver about it, of course the answer "We load these on your trucks all the time". Talked to several drivers at my company and their response is "Yeah, that why company only picks up that load with open deck trailers because it won't fit in the curtain vans we have.". Ask if it is legal and get vague answers.

Just the other day, I go to another shipper and they load bundles that are 52" wide, 2 across. Get the loader to adjust the load some, but measured in several places it is 104" wide. Call dispatch and answer is this is okay, do it all the time, and "Oh yeah, we can't haul these loads on a curtain van".

I have done plenty of oversize loads(Upto 14'2" wide), used QuickDraw rolltop trailers that are 106" wide with the kit on, and attached winches to the rub rail of double drop trailers, so I am comfortable moving wide loads. But, when is it legal w/o permits to transport loads wider than 102"? Is there some regulation that I am not aware of? Or, is this just customer abuse of carriers and drivers, and DOT is turning a blind eye to the issue(Until something happens, then the driver will carry the full blame)?

I suppose I am being naive and just need to live in the real world. Yes, I have done my share of questionable things in trucking, but this issue is new to me.
Hmmmmm. You're not saying which outfit is doing this.

But....you are correct in that it is abuse.

Me....I don't have a good answer for you. I would think that if it is "Inside the mirrors" it is a legal load. BUT......anything past 102 is considered over width by the DOT.....so you are stuck if you want that particular job.

Did things at Smokey Point go south after they got bought out??
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hmmmmm. You're not saying which outfit is doing this.
Never know who reading this site.

Quote:
But....you are correct in that it is abuse.

Me....I don't have a good answer for you. I would think that if it is "Inside the mirrors" it is a legal load. BUT......anything past 102 is considered over width by the DOT.....so you are stuck if you want that particular job.
Mirrors have to be wider than the load for you to see to the rear of the trailer. The mirrors and brackets are not measured for the legal width.

Does remind of a time at SPD when another driver in the Arlington yard was loading a straight truck on his trailer. The body fit inside the rails but the mirrors and brackets were overwidth. I have had similiar loads, but the mirrors folded back against the side windows easily. Not this truck and the driver spent several frustrated hours unbolting the brackets. The office wanted deniability and didn't want to hear about the issue.

Quote:
Did things at Smokey Point go south after they got bought out??
No, SPD is doing good business. Have heard from driver friends there about the new trucks having EBORs and QualComm tracking the older trucks. They are not happy with the new policy. Also, company changed the per-diem from the IRS meal allowance limit a day(what was it $52 or so?) to 10 cpm. This screws the drivers over if they have a short day, layover, or restart on the road.

I understand SPD bought E.M Wylie but haven't merged the operations yet.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Board Regular

Last year at Smokey Point(SPD), I hauled a load of elevator door frames from the Arlington yard to Edmonton, AB. Load looked high and I measured it 13'9". I thought "it is under 14 feet and I am okay in Washington". But, I didn't check the B.C. or Alberta restrictions. Got to the Kamloops, BC scale where the weighmaster pulls me in and gets his height stick out. The limit in Western Canada is 4.2 meters or 13'8". Loaded was at 4.23 meters! Get a ticket for $110 CDN but I can buy permit over the phone which could be faxed to scale house.

SPD did pay me an oversize premium for the load, but I had to pay the ticket. Hard lesson learned.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Any load that is over 102" wide is considered oversized and should be permitted. You are taking a chance hauling anything wide without permits. If you haul mostly in the same areas you could get annual permits, which would usually be less expensive. However, you are taking a big chance on being given a ticket if you haul wide loads without permits. If it were me, I would not haul them unless the company wanted to spring for permits or the shipper could make it legal. You may get away with it for a while, but sooner or later some DOT will notice that you are wider than you should be and put a tape measure on the load. Rest assured that it will be you who pays the fine. As a rule of thumb, anything higher than 13'6" is also considered over height, but I know some states that will allow up to 13'8". You just need to watch those low overpasses.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Also, company changed the per-diem from the IRS meal allowance limit a day(what was it $52 or so?) to 10 cpm. This screws the drivers over if they have a short day, layover, or restart on the road.
When I worked for a company that paid per diem as a cpm, I filed it that way and I THINK it was to my advantage... but, I got home every weekend and got lots of miles each week.

I see how it could adversely affect drivers in the situations you described. So...

They have the "option" of listing the per diem (mileage based) income as additional income on their 1040's and then TAKING (80% of) the $59/day per diem allowable for all days, and portions of days, spent away from home. They would have to complete the worksheet using BOTH methods to determine which is to their advantage. Then file it accordingly.

Hope this helps them or somebody.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
As a rule of thumb, anything higher than 13'6" is also considered over height, but I know some states that will allow up to 13'8". You just need to watch those low overpasses.
Most of the Western States have legal height of 14'. Thank you for your input.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are correct about some states allow 14'. Most states east of the Mississippi will only allow 13'6". Anytime you are over 13' 6" you need to check the states where you will be running. It would be nice if every state was the same.