User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeck View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but if she gets stopped or God forbid gets in an accident while she's driving, isn't the driver of that particular commercial vehicle going to have to produce a log book in addition the license, insurance, medical card, etc ... sounds like a "driver" to me, co-driver, companion, passenger, whatever you want to call her, she would have to produce documents that ANY driver would have to produce. I honestly don't see what the big deal is when you can use one log page to document any number of days off ... takes maybe 2 minutes to get current prior to driving while you reset.
You are apparently missing the whole point. On the rare occasion she drives, of course she’s logging it. But there are many advantages (mostly it comes down to convenience for her) to her not having to maintain a log if she goes out with me three weeks and I never run hard enough that she’d need to drive. There's also advantages for me if I can simply stay off duty while she's driving and not worry about hiding out in the sleeper, for example. If I’m simply a passenger for the day, it’s none of the DOT’s business what I’m doing at any given moment.

According to the FMSCA regs, logs must be kept current to the last change of duty. Are you insinuating that we should violate those regs? Perish the thought! I’m offended. I’d rather find a way to legally avoid regulatory stupidity instead of subject myself to it. According to FMCA guidance, “a co-driver“ (of course we don’t really know what one of those is) riding in the passenger seat next to the driver must be logged “On-duty (not driving).” If my wife were to be my co-driver the whole time she’s in the truck and never drive, she’d have to stay in the sleeper the entire time the truck is moving. That gets old after a week or two on the road.

Last edited by Musicman; 09-27-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Look, my biggest interest here is that the FMCSA, an organization that has felt it necessary to define such complex words and terms as: “accident,” “bus,” “alcohol concentration,” “driver,” “emergency,” and “employee” to name a few, has made no effort anywhere to define what constitutes a “co-driver.” Nobody here, including GolfHobo I bet, can tell me what a “co-driver” is in the estimation of the FMCSA because the FMCSA itself has never defined it.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I would say, that as long as your logs that you would present to an LEO, if roadside inspected, properly reflect that you can legally be where you are at the time of inspection, without your wife having been in control of the unit.....you shouldn't worry yourself over the subject.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Look, my biggest interest here is that the FMCSA, an organization that has felt it necessary to define such complex words and terms as: “accident,” “bus,” “alcohol concentration,” “driver,” “emergency,” and “employee” to name a few, has made no effort anywhere to define what constitutes a “co-driver.” Nobody here, including GolfHobo I bet, can tell me what a “co-driver” is in the estimation of the FMCSA because the FMCSA itself has never defined it.
You are correct, sir. The FMCSR's don't address a co-driver because they are concerned with the regulations of DRIVERS and their HOS, etc. There is a guidance question posed to them about a co-driver in the passenger seat, and their answer is in the form of .... "a DRIVER in the passenger seat of a CMV "in operation" is to be logged on line 4."

I have complained for years that the regs were designed with only solo drivers in mind, and yours is a good example of that.

As to your original question.... okay, I should do some research. I haven't had to argue regs since the REV left town. But, I'll take a stab at an opinion. Alot would depend on the requirements of the company you are hauling for. As you are an O/O, you may have some leeway. If your wife is not listed as a driver on the dispatch paperwork, they might refuse to "insure" her if she got in an accident. However, as for the DOT.... she is a qualified driver. As such, she cannot come on duty and drive if she has not been in an off duty condition for 10 hrs, OR.... in the sleeper for 8 hours. That part is complicated and I don't feel like going into it right now.

The minute she takes the wheel, she is responsible for her duty status prior to driving, including all the alcohol regs and such... and the HOS. If she has been in the sleeper while you were driving, she should be okay to drive. If she has been sitting next to you for YOUR whole shift, she would not be. She would have to start her log with a 7 day "log" of some sort, but if she has been in the passernger seat, she SHOULD log that time on line 4. Hence, her 14 hr clock would probably be used up... or mostly.

As for her getting "off the truck" and you continuing on with a restart: Don't people quit or get fired while on the road? You sign your log as being truthful. If it IS... you have little problem, especially if she can prove she was there by producing her own logbook. But, your question was about you doing a 34 hr restart while the truck was moving. Well.... if she is still with you, her logbook would show that she drove 11, took 10 off, and drove another 11, and had been off duty an additional 2 hours before YOU came back on duty. Since SHE had to stop the truck and take her 10, you can show coming out of the sleeper for that time too. You just can't show being out of the sleeper while she is driving.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Board Icon

Sorry, my new puter cut me off and submitted my reply before I was ready. But, I think I covered it mostly.

If you know you are about to need a restart, put her to bed for at least 8 of the last 10 or 11 that you drove. If she does that, or SHOWS that, she can legally drive while you sleep. If the truck is moving, you must show sleeper. When she stops for a 10 hr break, you can both do what you want. When she drives again, you must show sleeper while the truck is moving, but it doesn't have to be in 8 hour or 10 hour increments. If she stops the truck for an hour or more, you can go to line 1 and go have dinner. You just have to show 34 hours in a combined status of line one and two.

There is no reg I know of that says you can't do a 34 hr restart in a moving truck. She doesn't need to keep a log until she becomes a driver. Then she must account for the last 7 days (on one log sheet) and more importantly.... her last 10 hours.

You sound like a conscientious driver, so I know you wouldn't feel safe with her driving 11 hours after being UP the 10 before in the jumpseat. Play by the rules, be safe, and I think you would be "legal."

BTW.... last I heard, the FMCSA is considering a change to that rule about having to log line 4 while in the passenger seat. If good sense prevails, they may change that to show that being in the jumpseat is the same as "resting" in an off duty state. You would need to log 10 hours of it though.... not just the 8 hr minimum in the sleeper.

If I have not been clear, let me know and I'll find the regs and make the argument. If she is on the dispatch paperwork, she'll have to keep RODS. However, they could show 24/7 on line 4 if she wanted to as long as she showed 10 in the sleeper (or off duty in one location) before driving... and she didn't go over HER 70 hour rule. (not on the paperwork, she should STILL log it as she did it for the 7 days prior, and make sure she shows the last 10 in the sleeper if you are "operating" the truck.

I don't think the DOT would believe she was off duty for 7 days prior at (insert home terminal location) and then magically appeared in Salt Lake City when you needed her to drive. Nor would they believe she spent 7 days in a sleeper of a moving truck. But, she can't show line 4 for all the hours YOU drove, or BOTH of you would be out of hours. Have her show at least half of your driving shifts in the sleeper.... and of course.... the 10 hours prior to her driving while you reset.

And, for safety sake.... play by the rules and make sure she is rested before driving during your "rolling reset."

I believe this is a correct interpretation of the rules. If you, or anyone else, questions it.... I will do some research. If not..... enjoy!

Hobo

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Board Icon

Oops, one more thing. It IS the business of the DOT what YOU were doing during your restart. YOU, as a driver, cannot spend your 34 hours in the jumpseat. You would have to show ALL your hours in the sleeper or off duty while SHE is shut down for her 10. i.e: 11 in the sleeper while she is driving, then 10 on line 1 while she is also on line 1, then back to the sleeper while she drives. UNLESS..... of course.... you have hours coming back under the 70 hour rule that would allow you to take over the next day without taking a 34 hour restart.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
You are correct, sir. The FMCSR's don't address a co-driver because they are concerned with the regulations of DRIVERS and their HOS, etc. There is a guidance question posed to them about a co-driver in the passenger seat, and their answer is in the form of .... "a DRIVER in the passenger seat of a CMV "in operation" is to be logged on line 4."

I have complained for years that the regs were designed with only solo drivers in mind, and yours is a good example of that.
I agree with your assertion about the regs being developed primarily around the idea of a solo driver, but in this case, I think you either don’t understand the full point I’m making or you have chosen to ignore it. While my situation might be less common, it certainly isn’t unique, and I believe that it allows me and those who are in the same position as me some special latitude with certain areas of the FMCSA regulations.

As president of the LLC whose authority I operate under and as individual owner of the truck I drive, I may have a little more leeway in deciding when I am a driver or a passenger or a co-driver than, say, a company driver. There is nothing in the regs or guidance I know of that would prevent me from relieving myself of all responsibility for the load and equipment and having another driver, my wife, specifically in this case, take over responsibility for everything while I enjoy the ride for a day or two. At this point, I would be a simple passenger along for the ride in my own truck. I think, as does the one DOT officer I have already mentioned in a previous post, that this is a way for somebody in my uncommon situation to legally circumvent the ridiculous rule you have already referenced regarding being in the passenger seat while the truck is moving. As I have also previously stated, this would allow my wife to be a passenger at will as well, and also avoid the inconvenient mandates about what line she must log on depending on her choice of seat as a “co-driver”. The only caveat the DOT officer had about this arrangement was that while she wouldn’t personally have an issue with it, other officers might and that it might help my cause with a skeptical officer if we were to never both drive in the same day. It is her opinion that avoiding doing so would add weight to my assertion that we are each solo drivers and not a tam.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Went through something similar last year in a compliance review audit. If she is the employee of the carrier(you)then she must log the prior 7 days before operating the vehicle. You need to have complete logs for her for the prior 6 months. If she performs any compensated work for anyone she must record those hours. If any of those 7 days were in the truck you would log as a team.(A rider permit is not required for an employee of the carrier.)
In my case the wife went with her husband once in a while and would finish off his round while he was at home. The auditer wanted to see lines 1,2,&4 on her logs and line 3 when she finished off the load.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Went through something similar last year in a compliance review audit. If she is the employee of the carrier(you)then she must log the prior 7 days before operating the vehicle. You need to have complete logs for her for the prior 6 months. If she performs any compensated work for anyone she must record those hours. If any of those 7 days were in the truck you would log as a team.(A rider permit is not required for an employee of the carrier.)
In my case the wife went with her husband once in a while and would finish off his round while he was at home. The auditer wanted to see lines 1,2,&4 on her logs and line 3 when she finished off the load.
She wouldn't be an “employee” in the strict legal sense. She's on the truck title with me and is an officer of the muti-member LLC that holds the authority we run under. Yes, she maintains a CDL, and yes, she has a personnel file, and yes she participates in our random drug testing program. Of course if she drives she would have to have logs covering the previous seven days. I still maintain that she could show off duty on those logs, even if she were in the truck for the previous seven days because she was not serving as a driver at that time. Once she drives, I think an argument could be made that she would then have to keep a current log for the rest of the trip.

All of this is purely up to the interpretation of the DOT officer, of course. Would you believe the Illinois state DOT officer who is my auditor told me that because we are officers of our LLC and we personally own the truck and also drive it, we weren’t required by law to keep a written record of pre-trip inspections? I took one look at him and told him he was insane if he thought I’d get away with that if I got inspected in some other states. He said that very well may be true but that didn’t make those officers right.

Because right or wrong is unfortunately subjective out on the road, I probably won’t ever do what I’ve suggested here. It’s not worth the headache and expense of defending a citation in court; but I do believe it makes for interesting and stimulating debate.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Employee is a carrier definition.(it's in the regs) If i get a chance i'll look up the reg that shows if she is in the truck she would have to log either line 2 or 4. When the feds do a compliance review they will help you determine the correct action if you have questions. DOT at scales often use there own interpetation.