User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Depends what kind of money your talking about. Is it over $5,000??

Now the tough question....the nosy question.......What did you do, that causes you to have to ask the question??

:bigthink:
This happened last December. I was trying to park at the Pilot in Caddo Mills, TX for the night. It was after dark, the other trucker was illegally parked, and I was trying to get around him to make a u-turn in the fuel island so I could go back down the rows and get a space. It was pitch black and I couldn't see anything to my right. When I pulled forward, my trailer caught the bumper of the truck and pulled it half way off. It was a brand new 2011 International Lonestar. $3,000 in damage.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron View Post
Just because it's in a company's policy, doesn't make it legally binding. Now my company is trying something else to soak the drivers. They're going to start charging drivers $75 everytimg they park on the street leading into the lot. Drivers have to park there on weekends because the lot is full and if you are scheduled for time at home, and there's no place to drop your trailer in the lot, you're going to put wherever you can find a space! You been out on the road 3 or 4 weeks, you want to go home... what else is there to do? This crap happens every weekend. Sometimes another driver will move the trailer you put in the lot to get to his trailer behind it, and so what if he moves your trailer out to the street? Next week, you see on your pay statement that the Co deducted $75 from your check because the trailer you dropped last week was found on the street? You try to explain to them that you didn't put it there, but they think you're lying! Any other driver that drives for Design Transportation will tell you the same! They take every opportunity to screw their drivers out of as much money as they can! And they can make up any bulls**t excuse you deduct money from your check!
One night I had parked at the Flying J in Fairview, TN. I was legally parked, I had shut down about 2 hours before and was sitting in the sleeper watching a movie and having dinner, when another driver hit my truck while trying to park for the night. My company held me liable, charged me with the damages, took the money out of my check and added points to my CDL to boot!
A month later I was at a customer in California getting loaded. There was only one way into their lot. You had to back in from the street, up a hill and then down a driveway to get loaded. When my truck/trailer pivoted, my mud flap bracket caught underneath one of the cross members of my trailer and damaged the mud flap. My company held me liable, charged me with the damages, took the money out of my check and added points to my CDL to boot!
These are just a few examples of how my company rips off their drivers. No matter what happens, or what the circumstances are... the drivers gets screwed.

You not only need to find a new company but also a lawyer! Just cause they say they can take money out of your check DOSN'T MEAN IT'S LEGAL!!! That first week they took a $100 out would've been the last for me!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
You not only need to find a new company but also a lawyer! Just cause they say they can take money out of your check DOSN'T MEAN IT'S LEGAL!!! That first week they took a $100 out would've been the last for me!
Unfortuately, I'm stuck here till September when I drop a ticket that I got in 08. Nobody will hire me until that ticket drops off my CDL
Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Our safety manager is not even a former truck driver. I don't even know if he can drive a stick! But he has the power of life and death over hard-working truckers. He's tries to charge us with every incident. I would say, that out of all the incidents I have been involved with, 75% of the weren't my fault... but we get money deducted from out checks over everything, and bad marks on our DAC reports.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
And again, how can an employer/employee contract supersede state law?
I am not sure that it is a state law. In any case, if you sign a contract then both parties are obligated to abide with the terms. If one fails to keep up their end then the other party can take them to court, if necessary. You should understand anything that you are asked to sign.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Our safety manager is not even a former truck driver. I don't even know if he can drive a stick! But he has the power of life and death over hard-working truckers. He's tries to charge us with every incident. I would say, that out of all the incidents I have been involved with, 75% of the weren't my fault... but we get money deducted from out checks over everything, and bad marks on our DAC reports.
Only 25% were your fault?!?

And how the hell would an employer put points against your CDL? Is your employer a law-enforcement officer? DOT officer?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Just because it's in a company's policy, doesn't make it legally binding. Now my company is trying something else to soak their drivers. They're going to start charging drivers $75 everytime we park on the street leading into the lot. Drivers have to park there on weekends because the lot is full and if you are scheduled for time at home, and there's no place to drop your trailer in the lot, you're going to put wherever you can find a space! You been out on the road 3 or 4 weeks, and you want to go home... what else is there to do? This crap happens every weekend. Sometimes another driver will move the trailer you put in the lot to get to his trailer behind it, and so what if he moves your trailer out to the street? Next week, you see on your pay statement that the Company deducted $75 from your check because the trailer you dropped over the weekend was found on the street! You try to explain to them that you didn't put it there, but they think you're lying! Any other driver that drives for Design Transportation will tell you the same! They take every opportunity to screw their drivers out of as much money as they can! And they can make up any bulls**t excuse you deduct money from your check!
One night I had parked at the Flying J in Fairview, TN. I was legally parked, I had shut down about 2 hours before and was sitting in the sleeper watching a movie and having dinner, when another driver hit my truck while trying to park for the night. My company held me liable, charged me with the damages, took the money out of my check and added points to my CDL to boot!
A month later I was at a customer in California getting loaded. There was only one way into their lot. You had to back in from the street, up a hill and then down a driveway to get loaded. When my truck/trailer pivoted, my mud flap bracket caught underneath one of the cross members of my trailer and damaged the mud flap. My company held me liable, charged me with the damages, took the money out of my check and added points to my CDL to boot!
These are just a few examples of how my company rips off their drivers. No matter what happens, or what the circumstances are... the drivers gets screwed.

There is no way in hell that Design Transport or any other trucking company can add "points" to your CDL. The only people empowered by law to do that, are police officers in the commission of doing their duty.

IF Design Transport is docking your pay for parking on the street, or ANY damages that occur during the course of your employment with them, contact the Labor Board. SUE them and the trucking company who's truck hit the truck you were sitting in at that Flying J. None of it is legal. IF they place comments on your DAC, again, sue them if those comments have nothing to do with your job performance. Parking on a city street or being backed into at a truck stop are common accepted incidents. AND....IF there are "points" on your CDL for those things, and IF you were never issued a citation by an LEO, get a lawyer, and sue the police officer, the judge and the president of Design Transport. A police officer and a judge are the only way Design gets points added to any CDL.

How old are you??? How long have you been driving?? How long have you been working??? Texas law, and the laws of most other states, indemnifies you from damages caused to your employer's property,to their customer's property and to property of others, if such damage was not caused intentionally, during the course of performing your assigned duty. Hell....even backwards Oregun has an indemnification law now.

sorry....rant over
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

As far as I know carriers don't put anything on your DAC until you leave their employ. And as others have stated, no private company can put points on your CDL. I think that you are leaving some information out with your posts. For you to have any points on your CDL you would have had to have been cited and found guilty of a traffic violation. If you have had that many "incidents" I am surprised that you still have a job.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I couldn't agree more - count yourself lucky to have the ability to pay to keep your job.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I couldn't agree more - count yourself lucky to have the ability to pay to keep your job.

I had to read this twice, GOOD ONE!!!!