User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It has always been my understanding, that when a driver is "away from the HOME terminal", his assigned tractor can be used for personal conveyance, as long as there was not a trailer attached.

That was how it was treated back in the 70's and 80's, and how my last "company" job and my current "lease" position treat(ed) the situation.
Bobtail the tractor as far as you want "off duty not driving", but if there is a trailer on the unit, loaded or empty, every mile had to be logged.

Did you ask the TMC log department what their preference is Terry??
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I am no longer with TMC, I quit about 7 months ago to run a Martial Arts School, which failed and now I am with ATS. I didn't ask. I found my own solution. I am not a company driver. I am a Lease Operator.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar View Post
I am no longer with TMC, I quit about 7 months ago to run a Martial Arts School, which failed and now I am with ATS. I didn't ask. I found my own solution. I am not a company driver. I am a Lease Operator.
Ouch Terry!!

Let us know how you do on the lease!

If you manage to actually end up owning the truck...let us know that as well!

As for the question you asked......I already told you my experience with that situation.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I needed a job and no one was hiring. Going Lease Operator was the fastest way to get a job. I didn't have the magical two years experience, I had only 20 months with TMC.

I did a lot of research. I couldn't find anything, specifically, bad about the Lease Operator proggram with ATS. It is a truc Lease Program not a Lease Purchase Program, allthough at the end of your lease you are given the opportunity to buy your truck. I already know the cost.

Basically, I am assuming most of the risk and cost, they do provide a 30 day unconditional warranty and for they rest of the lease do cover the drive train.

Everyone I have talked to is doing well on their Lease Operator Program. From what I have seen they do not lie and will help you be as sucessful as possible. Most L/O are making more than company drivers.

Only time will tell. What I can see right now in the short time I have worked here is a greater selection of freight offered and much greater freedom. After all I am paying for the fuel, so I can go an do what I want as long as the bills are paid.

I learned some good habits at TMC. My idle time was 4.76 and I have learned to nurse every bit of mileage out of my fuel tanks.

After my lease is up in one year I will decide on whether to take my completion bonus and go elsewhere or lease for another year. By then I will have my magical two years in and will have greater options as a company driver.

I am liking it so far. To me it is a step toward being an Owner Operator. I am getting some valuable experience without assuming 100% of the risk.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yeah, I needed a job and no one was hiring. Going Lease Operator was the fastest way to get a job. I didn't have the magical two years experience, I had only 20 months with TMC.

I did a lot of research. I couldn't find anything, specifically, bad about the Lease Operator proggram with ATS. It is a truc Lease Program not a Lease Purchase Program, allthough at the end of your lease you are given the opportunity to buy your truck. I already know the cost.

Basically, I am assuming most of the risk and cost, they do provide a 30 day unconditional warranty and for they rest of the lease do cover the drive train.

Everyone I have talked to is doing well on their Lease Operator Program. From what I have seen they do not lie and will help you be as sucessful as possible. Most L/O are making more than company drivers.

Only time will tell. What I can see right now in the short time I have worked here is a greater selection of freight offered and much greater freedom. After all I am paying for the fuel, so I can go an do what I want as long as the bills are paid.

I learned some good habits at TMC. My idle time was 4.76 and I have learned to nurse every bit of mileage out of my fuel tanks.

After my lease is up in one year I will decide on whether to take my completion bonus and go elsewhere or lease for another year. By then I will have my magical two years in and will have greater options as a company driver.

I am liking it so far. To me it is a step toward being an Owner Operator. I am getting some valuable experience without assuming 100% of the risk.
Just wish you good luck. Your own work habits will make you or break you.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Just wish you good luck. Your own work habits will make you or break you.

Unfortuntely that isn't the reason most lease purchase deals fail.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Unfortuntely that isn't the reason most lease purchase deals fail.

*sigh* Yeah...I know...but I still wish him luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
*sigh* Yeah...I know...but I still wish him luck.
Oh me too, I wish we had more info, but no sense hijacking this thread any farther.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Oh me too, I wish we had more info, but no sense hijacking this thread any farther.

Ahhh, but it is my thread, so you go ahead and post what you will! Actually, I should start a thread in the O/O forum. I can chronical my success or failure.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ahhh, but it is my thread, so you go ahead and post what you will! Actually, I should start a thread in the O/O forum. I can chronical my success or failure.

I would enjoy it, and it would surely be helpful to others.