User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Default diabetic drivers, Insulin exemption

I'am looking for another CDL driver that has gone through the Insulin exemption process. I'am a Type 2 that is not insulin dependent but will have better control with the addition of insulin.
Bill
Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/s...on-package.pdf

That there is the application for the exemption.

It has been a while since I looked up the info on the program but if I recall correctly you must:

Be under the care of an endocrinologist.
Have good blood sugar self monitoring records and show that your blood sugar is under control.
Have no more than 1 documented case per month of low blood sugar.
Be on insulin for a long enough period of time to demonstrate that you know how to use it.
Get a vision screening by an eye doctor.
Have a long form DOT physical showing that you meet the FMCSA requirements other than for diabetes.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks uturn. I have just started the process and am still looking for someone who has the exemption.
I have ended my lease and parked my truck (in its new building!) I will need 30 days of logged insulin use and then can start the paperwork. Once all the paperwork is sent in the Feds have to give a response in not >180 days. My concern is that on day 179 they ask for more documentation and the clock starts over. The timing is not bad for parking my truck since there are almost no loads that I will take anyway!
Bill
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Wish I could put you in touch with someone who has been through this but all the drivers I know who are diabetic, including myself, who ended up going on insulin said heck with it and stopped driving.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM

I used "federal register insulin" at Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and came up with several FR regarding the names of drivers that applied. It appears most were denied.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/s...on-package.pdf

Notice: Qualification of Drivers; Eligibility Criteria and Applications; Diabetes Exemption

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...denials-39.pdf

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...als-1-7-05.pdf

I used "insulin drivers" and there is a list of 36 drivers granted the exception in 2007:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ion-2-6-07.pdf

Be safe.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the links.
Most of the denials were in the earlier years. The most current year had 68 exemptions approved. There had been some issues on how the original bill had been drafted which caused lots of denials due to wording of the 3 year experience requirement which it would appear was addressed around 2004
I'am in the process now!
Bill
Old 09-10-2009, 03:00 AM

update! (if anyone cares!) Truck has been parked since March 30...the day I started using insulin. I have completed all of the exams and paperwork for a insulin exemption and will be sending it in. The feds have not more than 180 days to respond.
Bill
Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzostd1 View Post
update! (if anyone cares!) Truck has been parked since March 30...the day I started using insulin. I have completed all of the exams and paperwork for a insulin exemption and will be sending it in. The feds have not more than 180 days to respond.
Bill
Best of luck - but BE SENSIBLE and BE CAREFUL.

If you've progressed from oral meds to insulin recently - there's still a shot that diet and exercise can enable you to get back off the insulin. A friend of mine recently started a new diet - he's lost 16lbs in the last month and NO LONGER NEEDS INSULIN.

The big issue (as we all know) with insulin dependent diabetics, is the tendency for the body to over-react to insulin without warning, or a momentary/false high causing the diabetic to take more insulin that is truly required - causing the blood sugar to go too low, causing loss of consciousness, convulsions, etc. While not "pretty" to watch someone go through this in a restaurant, or their living room - it is potentially WAY LESS PRETTIER for someone to go through this BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A LOADED TRACTOR TRAILER.

This in no way impugns the ability of the diabetic to PROPERLY MONITOR his blood and CORRECTLY ADMINISTER his insulin - but the fact that a stronger batch of insulin or a change in the way your body reacts to a particular type or brand (happens all the time, no ones FAULT really) can put you and the motoring public at WAY TOO MUCH RISK.

After having my 85 year old grandmother, who was EXCELLENT at her diet, exercise, monitoring and administration - pass out in the mall (that she drove herself to) and fracture her wrist. Then watch her go through 3 sugar crashes over the course of as many weeks (and she had been insulin dependent and well controlled for over almost 2 decades) - I sadly had to "clip her wings" and take her car keys away. Most horrible day of both our lives. I had to protect EVERYONE ELSE on the road FROM HER (more than really protecting her from HERSELF).

Thus too - why FMCSA are uber-strict about insulin dependent diabetics operating CMV's. I really hope you've gone through a period of SELF REFLECTION and SELF EVALUATION. While I'd hate to see someone have to give up a career that they love (especially an O/O with an investment in equipment) - it would be INCREDIBLY SELFISH OF YOU to subject the rest of the motoring public to needless danger - just to keep on truckin'. I hate saying this, because I'm very overweight and have come close to being borderline Type II a couple of times before diet and weight loss have gotten me down to normal A1C, C-Peptide levels. Type-II runs in both sides of my immediate family - so I know sometime before I'm ready to VOLUNTARILY retire, I'll likely have to face FORCED RETIREMENT due to diabetes...

Rick
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Best of luck - but BE SENSIBLE and BE CAREFUL.

If you've progressed from oral meds to insulin recently - there's still a shot that diet and exercise can enable you to get back off the insulin. A friend of mine recently started a new diet - he's lost 16lbs in the last month and NO LONGER NEEDS INSULIN.

The big issue (as we all know) with insulin dependent diabetics, is the tendency for the body to over-react to insulin without warning, or a momentary/false high causing the diabetic to take more insulin that is truly required - causing the blood sugar to go too low, causing loss of consciousness, convulsions, etc. While not "pretty" to watch someone go through this in a restaurant, or their living room - it is potentially WAY LESS PRETTIER for someone to go through this BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A LOADED TRACTOR TRAILER.

This in no way impugns the ability of the diabetic to PROPERLY MONITOR his blood and CORRECTLY ADMINISTER his insulin - but the fact that a stronger batch of insulin or a change in the way your body reacts to a particular type or brand (happens all the time, no ones FAULT really) can put you and the motoring public at WAY TOO MUCH RISK.

After having my 85 year old grandmother, who was EXCELLENT at her diet, exercise, monitoring and administration - pass out in the mall (that she drove herself to) and fracture her wrist. Then watch her go through 3 sugar crashes over the course of as many weeks (and she had been insulin dependent and well controlled for over almost 2 decades) - I sadly had to "clip her wings" and take her car keys away. Most horrible day of both our lives. I had to protect EVERYONE ELSE on the road FROM HER (more than really protecting her from HERSELF).

Thus too - why FMCSA are uber-strict about insulin dependent diabetics operating CMV's. I really hope you've gone through a period of SELF REFLECTION and SELF EVALUATION. While I'd hate to see someone have to give up a career that they love (especially an O/O with an investment in equipment) - it would be INCREDIBLY SELFISH OF YOU to subject the rest of the motoring public to needless danger - just to keep on truckin'. I hate saying this, because I'm very overweight and have come close to being borderline Type II a couple of times before diet and weight loss have gotten me down to normal A1C, C-Peptide levels. Type-II runs in both sides of my immediate family - so I know sometime before I'm ready to VOLUNTARILY retire, I'll likely have to face FORCED RETIREMENT due to diabetes...

Rick
Well Stated, SickRick!! :clap: :clap:

Back when I was a radiology nurse, I had a bunch of patients who were former drivers...... they were also combating ESRD (End Stage Renal Dysfunction)..... and losing their feet and legs to amputations.... not at all a fun way to go.

Driving a big truck, and the lifestyle that goes with it whiloe dealing with insulin dependent Diabetes really doesn't work too well.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Board Regular

Then again, if your truck is a Volvo 780, Cummins, 13 Speed - you might have a BUYER for it...

Just sayin...

Rick