User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What do I do now?

From 6/2007 to 5/2008 I had 3 accidents(see below) and now find I can't get a job.

1st- my fault; I tried to get through a tight construction area and hit a parked trucks fender.
2nd- No Fault, no citation; hit a patch of ice and hit a ditch and guard rail, damaged 1 wheel and tire on my truck
3rd- technically my fault; This was a standard delivery location and the turn around was unavoidable. The car was sticking out a couple of feet and I knew it was going to be close so I did stop to get-out-and-look. But I stopped 6 inches to long and scratched the bumper.

The funny thing is the 3rd one had no witnesses and I could have just driven away with no one the wiser, but I am honest and found the owner. And still got fired. I have 11 years of good driving before this year, but that doesn't seem to count. What do I do now? Is there anything I can do to get hired? Anyone have any advice?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimloth View Post
From 6/2007 to 5/2008 I had 3 accidents(see below) and now find I can't get a job.

1st- my fault; I tried to get through a tight construction area and hit a parked trucks fender.
2nd- No Fault, no citation; hit a patch of ice and hit a ditch and guard rail, damaged 1 wheel and tire on my truck
3rd- technically my fault; This was a standard delivery location and the turn around was unavoidable. The car was sticking out a couple of feet and I knew it was going to be close so I did stop to get-out-and-look. But I stopped 6 inches to long and scratched the bumper.

The funny thing is the 3rd one had no witnesses and I could have just driven away with no one the wiser, but I am honest and found the owner. And still got fired. I have 11 years of good driving before this year, but that doesn't seem to count. What do I do now? Is there anything I can do to get hired? Anyone have any advice?
At this point, you're pretty much screwed for the next three years with any sort of major carrier, and probably most minor carriers. Your best bet is to try to find a "mom and pop" operation, and hope for the best. You'll likely take a cut in pay in the process.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

2nd is an at fault. Driving to fast for conditions.
Three at fault accidents in one year.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Yep you have 3 preventable accidents, and every company you submit applications to will look at it that way, so you first step is when you submit application list them all as preventable. Listing even 1 of those as non preventable is going to say to any potential employer that you do not take responsibility as seriously as you should.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Rookie

If the 2nd was preventable, why didn't I get a ticket? I was not going too fast, I just hit a slight slope in just the wrong conditions. Late afternoon, after the sun had just dipped below the horizon allowing the snow, melted by the afternoon sun on a western facing slope, to refreeze. I must have slide half a mile in a straight line and only put my front tires in the ditch. The company even agreed that it was non-preventable. At least I think they did. Is there anyway I can look at my DAC report and ind out what they are saying about me?

"Mom-and-pops" are hard to come by in a state(OR) with 1 of the highest unemployment rates, surrounded by states with nearly as bad economies.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimloth View Post
Is there anyway I can look at my DAC report and ind out what they are saying about me?
Yeah, just send them the specified amount and a fill out a from that you must print off of the U.S.I.S website. Supposedly you can call them but I have had no luck. It takes a few weeks for them to mail it to you.

What I have learned from previous experience is that many companies will not list all the negative and potentially career wrecking items on your DAC report. They will instead give it to the company you might seek to gain employment with in the form of a driver's report and getting this information is increasingly difficult. I have threatened possible legal actions against one carrier in the past, and what a shock they sent me the information.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member

go to driverfacts.com, and do a search for your SSN (It is free to create an account), if the company you worked for uses it, your name will come up, then it is just a few bucks to order a full copy of what the company has to say about your history. It is the system that swift uses, I had to pay $7.95 to get a full report which includes Basic company status (Hire/release dates), Rehire status, full accident report, and Drug and Alcohol report

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt