User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pre-trip inspections?

How many drivers check to ensure the vehicle is legal to operate?

1. Is the periodic inspection current on the truck and trailer, within the previous 12 months?

Yes - OK

No - Get the inspection done....

2. For those that operate cargo tanks here are the basic rules for the VIPK tests:

a. Rear opening vac heads require an "External Visual" (V) every six months.

b. All other cargo tanks require an "V" test every 12 months

c. Leakage test (K) required every 12 months

d. Internal visual (I) required every 5 years

e. Pressure retest (P) required every 5 years

I cannot express my disappointment when a carrier offers DVIRs and they all list "No defects" found. Especially when the periodic inspection and VIPK tests are lapsed on a piece of equipment. Drivers see the equipment every day and are supposed to be inspecting their equipment.

A lapsed periodic inspection has a maximum penalty of $11,000:

Quote:
(a)(3) Non-recordkeeping violations. A person or entity that violates parts 382, 385, or 390-99 of this subchapter, except a recordkeeping requirement, is subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $11,000 for each violation.

For HM violations the maximum penalty is $105,000:

Quote:
(e) Violations of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMRs) and Safety Permitting Regulations found in subpart E of Part 385. This paragraph applies to violations by motor carriers, drivers, shippers and other persons who transport hazardous materials on the highway in commercial motor vehicles or cause hazardous materials to be so transported.

(e)(1) All knowing violations of 49 U.S.C. chapter 51 or orders or regulations issued under the authority of that chapter applicable to the transportation or shipment of hazardous materials by commercial motor vehicle on highways are subject to a civil penalty of not less than $250 and not more than $50,000 for each violation. Each day of a continuing violation constitutes a separate offense.

(e)(2) All knowing violations of 49 U.S.C. chapter 51 or orders or regulations issued under the authority of that chapter applicable to training related to the transportation or shipment of hazardous materials by commercial motor vehicle on highways are subject to a civil penalty of not less than $450 and not more than $50,000 for each violation.

(e)(3) All knowing violations of 49 U.S.C. chapter 51 or orders, regulations, or exemptions issued under the authority of that chapter applicable to the manufacture, fabrication, marking, maintenance, reconditioning, repair, or testing of a packaging or container that is represented, marked, certified, or sold as being qualified for use in the transportation or shipment of hazardous materials by commercial motor vehicle on highways are subject to a civil penalty of not less than $250 and not more than $50,000 for each violation.

(e)(4) Whenever regulations issued under the authority of 49 U.S.C. chapter 51 require compliance with the FMCSRs while transporting hazardous materials, any violations of the FMCSRs will be considered a violation of the HMRs and subject to a civil penalty of not less than $250 and not more than $50,000.

(e)(5) If any violation subject to the civil penalties set out in paragraphs (e)(1) through (4) of this appendix results in death, serious illness, or severe injury to any person or in substantial destruction of property, the civil penalty may be increased to not more than $105,000 for each offense.
It amazes me that drivers supposedly trained in the HMR walk past the VIPK tests markings less than four feet from a day cab's door and perhaps as much as seven feet for a large sleeper berth and miss the obious. Once a VIPK tests is out of date the cargo tank cannot be refilled.

Once the periodic inspection lapses it is inoperable until a new periodic inspection is completed.

I understand it's the motor carrier's responsibility.... However, when things goes south, it's the driver's responsibility and every one is culpable:

Quote:
(a)(4) Non-recordkeeping violations by drivers. A driver who violates parts 382, 385, and 390-99 of this subchapter, except a recordkeeping violation, is subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $2,750.
Please folks, take a few minutes to ensure things are legal before you drive a CMV, the money you save maybe your own.

Be safe.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Board Icon

Myth_Buster said:

Quote:
How many drivers check to ensure the vehicle is legal to operate?

1. Is the periodic inspection current on the truck and trailer, within the previous 12 months?

Yes - OK

No - Get the inspection done....
Okay, M/B.... this time we are in agreement. Like many drivers who have assigned trucks, I once failed to make sure that I had my permit book updated and IN the truck. It was always there, and others were "responsible."

I spent the night at a scalehouse because I made that mistake.... ONCE.

Since then, I have always checked my permits, my inspection sticker, my IFTA sticker, and my Trailer registration!

The Pre-Trip inspection SHOULD include checking the proper documentation for the equipment you are responsible for.

Be safe.... AND legal.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Myth_Buster said:

Okay, M/B.... this time we are in agreement. Like many drivers who have assigned trucks, I once failed to make sure that I had my permit book updated and IN the truck. It was always there, and others were "responsible."

I spent the night at a scalehouse because I made that mistake.... ONCE.

Since then, I have always checked my permits, my inspection sticker, my IFTA sticker, and my Trailer registration!

The Pre-Trip inspection SHOULD include checking the proper documentation for the equipment you are responsible for.

Be safe.... AND legal.

Hobo
Golfhobo, I :clap:you. That is excellent advice. You are right, many drivers fail to check that little book.:clap:

Oh, and I know how to turn the ignore feature on and off

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Board Regular

i ask for a radio check every morning...am i suppopse to do more????
Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
i ask for a radio check every morning...am i suppopse to do more????
So you are the one that I always tell that it's working:lol:

And the sad thing is, I believe that is all some drivers do as a pre-trip.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
So you are the one that I always tell that it's working:lol:

And the sad thing is, I believe that is all some drivers do as a pre-trip.
Sadly....I think you may be right! I can't tell you how many times I have seen drivers get out of the berth, crank the engine and leave a truckstop or rest area..... like this guy....

I pulled in next to him at a truckstop in SC on I-95, the curtains were drawn....I saw he had a flat tire on the left front steer. I went inside, and when I came out...that's what I saw. Yep, he did a GREAT pre-trip!!

And he made a bunch of people happy...he did it right in front of the fuel island....

You gotta do it, and you gotta do it right!! Or like Myth_Buster says....its gonna cost.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.