User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Interesting, because according the the Fedral Motor Carriers Safety Administration it says

May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.
A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...s/HOS-2005.htm
A driver MAY restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty. :wink:
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Interesting, because according the the Fedral Motor Carriers Safety Administration it says

A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.

A driver MAY restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty. :wink:
Or the driver can keep on driving and get put out of service by DOT.

Funny thing is I have seen this happen.

There is no such thing as running more then 70 hours without taking a 34 hour.

Our company has had drivers put out of service for running more then 70 hours without a 34.

So yes you may begin another 70 hour week after a 34 hour but then again you can take a 48 hour or what ever you wish. The way it was explained to me by ND DOT and SD DOT and Iowa DOT and Mn DOT along with MO DOT is that there is a minimum of a 34 that must be taken before you can start another 70 hour week.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat

Our company has had drivers put out of service for running more then 70 hours without a 34.

So yes you may begin another 70 hour week after a 34 hour but then again you can take a 48 hour or what ever you wish. The way it was explained to me by ND DOT and SD DOT and Iowa DOT and Mn DOT along with MO DOT is that there is a minimum of a 34 that must be taken before you can start another 70 hour week.
What your D.O.T. was saying is before you have a FULL 70 hours available you have to take a 34 hour reset. However, as the REV said you can gain back hours and not take a 34 hour reset.

This the way it was before we had the 34 hour rule.

Were the problem comes is if you burn your 70 in less than 7 days (i.e. drive 11 hour days until you burn your 70) you will have to wait till you gain back the hours you drove the first day. Or take a 34 hour reset.

kc0iv
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat

Quote:
Yup, that's what happens when you DRIVE past your available time.

Quote:
You have seen drivers get in trouble when they get caught not following the rules?

Quote:
There's no such thing as driving more than 70 hours IN 8 DAYS without taking a 34 hour restart.
Quote:
Sounds like nobody at your company understands the HOS REG's. Once again the 34 hour has nothing to do with it. They got put out of service for driving past the combined driving and on duty not driving time of 70 hours within 8 days. Nothing says you can't work past 70 hours in 8 days. You can work 100 hours a week if you want too, you just can't drive a CMV after your driving and on duty not driving time has reached 70 hours. This also goes for the 14 hour rule each day. You just can't drive after being on duty or driving for 14 hours. You can fuel, post trip and whatever else past 14 hours, just can't drive until you have taken 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth or 10 hours off combined sleeper berth and off duty.

Quote:
The 34 hour restart is not mandatory. If you want to start fresh then you can take one if you want or just pick up hours each day. 8) 8)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Ok then, how does someone legally gain back hours from the first day?

I know that the 14 hour daily clock does not stop unless you stop for 8 hours or more.

I know that I can have a total of 70 hours of working time while in the truck and that I need to take a break after said 70 hours.

Dot has told me that I need to take a minimum of 34 hours after putting in a 70 hour week.

But then can dot officers from so many states be wrong on this?

I know one driver very well, and he was put out of service. He worked his 70, stopped for a 10 and tried going back to work again, got stopped and checked and was put OOS for 34 hours.

The runs we do run right on the edge of 11 hours total driving time then add pti and fueling along with loading and unloading and it comes to over 12 hours a day if things go good. Many times I am pushing hard against the 14 hour clock.

So if I am lucky I run out of hours in about 6 days but most of the time I am out in 5 days with only a couple hours to spare.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Board Regular

the Rev is right.
I know several drivers that never take 34 hr breaks because they like working a short day 8.75hrs and they are out for 3-4 weeks before extended home time.

1 jan 8.75
2 jan 8.75
3 jan 8.75
4 jan 8.75
5 jan 8.75
6 jan 8.75
7 jan 8.75
8 jan 8.75
9 jan 8.75
10 jan 8.75

If you add up the 1thru8 of jan you have 70 hrs, or if you add up 2-9 jan.
at the end of your 8th day you hit 70hrs then you go to bed. and wake up to a new day counting it and the 7days before you have 8 days with only61.25 hrs total, now if you work longer on one day you have to shorten the next to keep this rhythm going or vice versa
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Ok then, how does someone legally gain back hours from the first day?

Legally.... per the HOS regulations.

I know that the 14 hour daily clock does not stop unless you stop for 8 hours or more.

Not exactly true.

I know that I can have a total of 70 hours of working time while in the truck and that I need to take a break after said 70 hours.

Wrong.

Dot has told me that I need to take a minimum of 34 hours after putting in a 70 hour week.

Wrong. No they didn't. You misunderstood them.

But then can dot officers from so many states be wrong on this?

Well..... that is always possible.... but, I doubt it. You misunderstood them.

I know one driver very well, and he was put out of service. He worked his 70, stopped for a 10 and tried going back to work again, got stopped and checked and was put OOS for 34 hours.

Because he "burned" his 70 in LESS than 8 days, so 10 hours off wasn't enough to allow him to DRIVE again. Neither HE... nor YOU.... understand the regs.

The runs we do run right on the edge of 11 hours total driving time then add pti and fueling along with loading and unloading and it comes to over 12 hours a day if things go good. Many times I am pushing hard against the 14 hour clock.

So, you are burning your 70 hours (ALLOWED within 8 days) in about 6 days! If you do this, you WILL need a 34 hour reset, which is LESS time than it would take to gain back hours.

So if I am lucky I run out of hours in about 6 days but most of the time I am out in 5 days with only a couple hours to spare.

So YOU would need a 34 hour reset to get back on the road the soonest! It is not MANDATORY that you burn your hours so quickly.
Rat: I am not trying to be "flippant" here. But, it is obvious that you don't understand the HOS regs. No shame.... MANY new drivers don't! Before WE go through it all again, how about scrolling down through this and earlier pages on this subforum and click on EVERY thread about HOS?

Can several DOT officers be wrong? Yes.... they can. Can ALL of us truckers on this site be wrong? NO.... we can't! But.... there are MANY on here who don't/didn't understand the HOS.... and it has ALL been explained many times before. DO THE RESEARCH on our previous threads, and then IF you still don't understand.... one of us will go through it all over again for you. That's part of what we DO here! :wink:

Always here. Always willing to help.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Board Icon

Never doubt me when it comes to HOS. I am always right. You cannot drive more than 70 hours in an 8 day period. On day 9, you gain back the hours you worked on day 1. A 34 hour reset will wipe the slate clean, but it is not mandatory that you take a 34 hour reset at any point. If you run out of your 70 hours, you have two options: Either wait for your 8 day clock to catch up, or take a 34 hour reset.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

Always here. Always willing to help.

Hobo

Awwww...... Isn't that nice..... The blind leading the blind..... :lol:
DAM#!! I'm nowhere NEAR a pickle park! How did this pervert FIND me! Get him OFF me! EWWW!!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.