User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Using the 16 hour exception......

I drive within the 100 mi. radius delivering grocery loads. Our shifts can be long, up to 12-14 hours and we're usually pretty exhausted at the end of the shift. My employer claims that they can force us to stay up to the 16th hour 1 day per week. I do see in the FMCSA regulations that we can utilize this as stated, but once in a weeks shift. My question is.....can my employer "force" me to stay on duty up to the 16th hour, or is this strictly a driver option? Seems to pretty irresponsible to me to keep going when one is "out of steam" and ready to sleep. I'd hate to be involved in an accident and hurt or even kill someone just because my employer claims it's busy and needs us to keep going. Any and all input much appreciated.....have a great day !!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Using the 16 hour exception......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteamomaha
I drive within the 100 mi. radius delivering grocery loads. Our shifts can be long, up to 12-14 hours and we're usually pretty exhausted at the end of the shift. My employer claims that they can force us to stay up to the 16th hour 1 day per week. I do see in the FMCSA regulations that we can utilize this as stated, but once in a weeks shift. My question is.....can my employer "force" me to stay on duty up to the 16th hour, or is this strictly a driver option? Seems to pretty irresponsible to me to keep going when one is "out of steam" and ready to sleep. I'd hate to be involved in an accident and hurt or even kill someone just because my employer claims it's busy and needs us to keep going. Any and all input much appreciated.....have a great day !!
Well, I'd probably have to point out to the boss who exactly is in charge of the HOS as it relates to ME. It's not up to the "boss" to "make" you run in an "exceptional" basis on a REGULAR basis. The DOT would love to do the audit on that one.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Using the 16 hour exception......

Quote:
can my employer "force" me to stay on duty up to the 16th hour, or is this strictly a driver option?
I guess if you allow them to "force" you to work to your 16th hour. But, it's legal for them ask you to drive to your 16th hour once a week between 34 hour restarts but you are the captain when your driving your truck. If you experience "driver fatigue", No they can't force you to do anything.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Board Regular

No one can force you to do anything, but they can pull an "end around" and make it hard on you. :shock: :?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 PM

Your company can't force you to use the 16 hour exeption once a week, just like you can't force them to keep you employed.

You shouldn't put yourself, or others on the road, at risk whether it's your 15th hour on duty or 1st hour on duty.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Board Regular

It had this happen to me once.

1) Safety told me that it can't be a planned event. It is only for an emergency situation, so your boss is full of it.

2) I got called in as to why I let it happened. Safety and Dispatchers were not pleased, but it happens (long wait customer site and half way home). More importantly dispatch tried to squeeze a run out of me after I had already worked an 8 hour day. By the time I got to the site and pretripped and started my run, I was at 11 hours.

Here is a cut of mine from a previous post:

Anyway, my out was that I am a local driver and my trips are within a 100 air mile radius. Also, I return to my home base. There is an allowance/exception for one to EXTEND their 14 hour continuous Workday to 16 hours. This is only allowed once per reset/week.. AND IT CAN’T BE A PLANNED SCENARIO!

See cut and paste details below from the reg:

********************CUT AND PASTE******************

C-7. May a "100 air-mile radius" driver utilize the "16-hour duty period" exception in Part § 395.1(o)?
Yes. A driver normally operating under the 100 air-mile radius exception in
§ 395.1(e) may also meet the requirements in § 395.1(o) enabling the driver to have one period of 16 hours on-duty each week (or after a 34-hour restart). However, on the day in which the 16-hour exception is utilized, the driver would not meet the 12-hour duty-period requirement of the 100 air-mile radius exception and would therefore be required to make a RODS for that day.

********************END OF CUT AND PASTE*******************
Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

From what I gather, the 16th hour is reserved for in case you find yourself out and know you cannot make it back before you run out of normal hours. This is only allowed once between resets.

Now, that being said, should your boss ever try again, try to remind him that you might make it back with in that 16th hour, and then you have to shut down the truck until he brings out a new driver. Most bosses don't like chasing their truck down. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

You still don’t get any extra driving time; it just allows you to work 16 hrs. This is good on a heavy day with stops that cut into your 14 hrs! Don’t bitc$ about 1 day a week, you get paid for it don’t you??? And it can be a planned thing. I did it for months on a Thurs run into Ohio from Indiana. Why stay in a hotel because of stops? You all bitc$ here about not sleeping in your own bed, but now you would rather sleep in a hotel because of 2 hrs, go figure. Remember 1 thing, if you do not come back to your starting place EVERY DAY, you cannot use this rule!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 AM

SSOUTLAW - Perhaps you didn't read my question.....or didn't care. I asked a question and asked for some input. Everyone was helpful, except you .... I work locally, you missed that. I just asked if it was a driver option or employer forced. Your words are full of anger and resentment. Read closer next time and pay attention before you attack! To all the rest of you who were helpful, Thank You for taking the time to add your "comments."
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
SSOUTLAW - Perhaps you didn't read my question.....or didn't care. I asked a question and asked for some input. Everyone was helpful, except you .... I work locally, you missed that. I just asked if it was a driver option or employer forced. Your words are full of anger and resentment. Read closer next time and pay attention before you attack! To all the rest of you who were helpful, Thank You for taking the time to add your "comments."
Post was not directed at you, and there was no anger at all, what’s wrong did you have a bad day???? And yes, if your company knows the rules and exceptions they could force you 1 day a week to use this exception!!!!
It’s in your benefit anyway! Maybe you like to stay in motels and make less money, who knows?
There is no such thing as having to pay overtime in most of the trucking industry; I think this is what you might be leading too!!! Just work the 16 hr day and QUIT trying to find something to bitch about!!!! Better yet, tell them NO and see what kind of runs you get from then on!!! Better yet, use your god given right to quit if you are so worried about it!
Now If you like I can start the attack, just QUIT crying and work the friggin 16 hr day!!!