User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default failed drug test, DAC, and future options

As the subject says, I had a random failed drug test a couple months ago, positive for pot. I thankfully quit smoking it before my trucking school which was 2 years ago and while I had my first job(which was just local driving in a straight truck with air breaks, I didnt feel ready for the OTR life at the time). However a couple months ago I had a weak minded moment and smoked a bowl during the weekend, a couple days later BAM, random test, great timing. My company of course took me off the road and I'm working in the warehouse for them now. I didn't go through the SAP return to work deal because by the sound of it I'm screwed for finding a good trucking job having done it or not, it sounds like a waste of money for false hope.

I know that by the sound of this some of you wouldnt want me behind the wheel of a big rig and I respect that opinion, but I truly am going to be responsible from now on, I don't even drink, I feel that I'm a safe and reliable driver and I could really fit into this industry if only I can get my foot in the door, so I'm looking into whether I would be hired by any company for thier training program as an entry level driver if I just don't tell them about the failed test. I don't think my company is a DAC reporting or using company because they're small, have only a few class A drivers like myself, and don't have any semis. If thats the case would a company that I apply to find out about my failed test? What if I don't list my current company as a past employer incase their records or my boss spills the beans about the drug test? The experience I got there I assume wouldnt be considered useful anyway as it was only a straight truck. Anyways I understand that many of you may not want to help me, but any feedback would be appreciated. I want to know if I'm barking up a wrong tree by still having this trucking goal or if I can probably get into it without missing a beat. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I'm screwed for finding a good trucking job
Exactly.

Do a search on this website...you will find hundred's of posts regarding failed drug tests and options (or lack thereof) afterward. Doesn't matter if it was a DAC company or not...DOT regs state they have to release D&A information on all driving employees for last 3 years.

Additionally, omit that company on your app at your own peril...it is far too easy for any company to pull work records through any employment office...and many do. Get a job with a company and then they find out you lied on your app and you are pretty much through, period. Why? Because you'll get terminated for falsification of employment app, which will lead to the drug test issue, which will cause every company you apply for to permanently red flag your file in their system.

There is a reason that companies and other drivers get so down on failed drug tests. I don't say any of this to be harsh...just to be straight with you.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Default reefer madness

Sorry to tell you this, but that will show up on your record even though your co. is not a dac repoter. Drug testing results go directly to d.o.t..
I'm glad you quit smoking. Your lucky your not in prison. Imagine if some old man had a heart attack and veered into your lane and was killed, even though it was not your fault you still go to prison for manslauter, if you test pos. for dope. You still have a chance just be honest with them when you fill out an application dont lie whatever you do,you dont want to get yourself black balled. Thousands of truckers have been caught dirty, your not the first. Dont worry about it just keep trying. If your determined you'll suceed... Keep smilin...wwjd..see ya bro ..gl
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: reefer madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrucker
Sorry to tell you this, but that will show up on your record even though your co. is not a dac repoter. Drug testing results go directly to d.o.t..
I'm glad you quit smoking. Your lucky your not in prison. Imagine if some old man had a heart attack and veered into your lane and was killed, even though it was not your fault you still go to prison for manslauter, if you test pos. for dope. You still have a chance just be honest with them when you fill out an application dont lie whatever you do,you dont want to get yourself black balled. Thousands of truckers have been caught dirty, your not the first. Dont worry about it just keep trying. If your determined you'll suceed... Keep smilin...wwjd..see ya bro ..gl
We've been through this before. D.O.T. DOES NOT get a record about a failed D/A report. I think they should but with the present computer system they say there is no way it can be done.

kc0iv
Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 PM

man.. kc I dont know where you've been getting your information from, but it sounds like you've been listening to the c.b. too much. Your trying to tell me that a d.o.t. random drug test does'nt go to d.o.t.? results are sent directly to d.o.t. if you dont believe me next time you take a p i s s test look at the elvelope and paperwork that goes with it. You'll see that the results are sent directly to d.o.t..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

One way or another, your past is going to follow you. You knew the consequences of getting caught, you played the odds, and you got caught.

Now, in one paragraph you talk about being a good, responsible driver; in another paragraph, you are asking for help at trying to beat the system again

You are in a profession where there is no such thing as a "King's X" or a "do-over". Getting caught is a secondary issue; the main problem is that you used in the first place.

I think that you should consider yourself fortunate enough that your company chose to keep you, and allow you to work the dock. I don't think that many companies are so tolerant.

My Advice??

Instead of trying to outrun your past, (which will catch up with you!!) go through the SAP program, stay with your current employer, then prove to them that you have learned from your bad decisions by busting your ass to become the best damned warehouseman they have, and hope that maybe in a few years, they may give you a second chance at driving.

If you are going to try to avoid facing the music for your bad decisions, (notice that I DO NOT use the word "Mistake" here!!) then you really have no business driving a truck at all!!

This is a profession where you play for keeps!!

Good Luck!!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

You never know when you'll get called in for a random...

I took my pre-employment test on Tuesday, results came in and I did my orientation ride-along on thursday/friday. On Monday I get assigned my truck and 1st load. When I walked into dispatch to get the truck keys, the HR lady handed me a paper for a random drug test.

6 days in between tests and I hadn't driven a mile (except for the road test).
Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrucker
man.. kc I dont know where you've been getting your information from, but it sounds like you've been listening to the c.b. too much. Your trying to tell me that a d.o.t. random drug test does'nt go to d.o.t.? results are sent directly to d.o.t. if you dont believe me next time you take a p i s s test look at the elvelope and paperwork that goes with it. You'll see that the results are sent directly to d.o.t..
Well aztrucker having been directly involved in a failed drug test (unable to urinate) I can say it is a FACT that D.O.T. does not have a record for any passed or failed test. I spend over 6 months trying to clear this false positive test. I talked directly to the M.R.O. involved, the Regional district office and to Washington. Both the Regional and Washington sent me (which I have copies of) said they do not have or retain any records.

Now as to what is reported to the D.O.T.

Each M.R.O. once a year submits a reports (see: http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/NEW_DOCS...ix/Appdx_H.pdf ) which totals the different categories of of test results.

Each laboratory semi-annually submits a report (see: http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/NEW_DOCS...ix/Appdx_B.pdf ) which again is a total number of test performed by the lab for that period.

Last look at http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/testingp...CE_HHS_ccf.pdf the official record required by D.O.T. to be used by the drug testing laboratory (the one you are referring too). The following copies are the only allowed copies by D.O.T.

Copy 1 - Laboratory
Copy 2 - Medical Review Officer
Copy 3 - Collector
Copy 4 - Employer
Copy 5 - Donor

The only exception to the copying rule is in the case of split specimen testing which must be done by photocopying Copy 1. In the case of the use of a second laboratory it may send a copy of their finding by photocopying Copy 1 to the MRO with their results.

As you see there is no copy sent to the D.O.T. only summary's of the above reports either annually (MRO) or semi-annually (laboratory).

Now look at http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/NEW_DOCS...rt_d/40_45.pdf . This rules shows what additional information may be added to this form. As you see this is the ONLY form allowed by the D.O.T. and I
Quote:
"40.45 What form is used to document a DOT urine collection?
(a) The Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control Form (CCF) must be used to document every
urine collection required by the DOT drug testing program. The CCF must be a five-part carbon less
manifold form. You may view this form on the Department's web site ( http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc ) or the
HHS web site ( http://www.workplace.samhsa.gov )."
So aztrucker I've shown you where I get my information from. Now how about showing us where you are getting your information that requires all test results be reported to the D.O.T. Or is this one of those cb things you refer too?

kc0iv
Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: failed drug test, DAC, and future options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zord81
As the subject says, I had a random failed drug test a couple months ago, positive for pot. I thankfully quit smoking it before my trucking school which was 2 years ago and while I had my first job(which was just local driving in a straight truck with air breaks, I didnt feel ready for the OTR life at the time). However a couple months ago I had a weak minded moment and smoked a bowl during the weekend, a couple days later BAM, random test, great timing. My company of course took me off the road and I'm working in the warehouse for them now. I didn't go through the SAP return to work deal because by the sound of it I'm screwed for finding a good trucking job having done it or not, it sounds like a waste of money for false hope.

I know that by the sound of this some of you wouldnt want me behind the wheel of a big rig and I respect that opinion, but I truly am going to be responsible from now on, I don't even drink, I feel that I'm a safe and reliable driver and I could really fit into this industry if only I can get my foot in the door, so I'm looking into whether I would be hired by any company for thier training program as an entry level driver if I just don't tell them about the failed test. I don't think my company is a DAC reporting or using company because they're small, have only a few class A drivers like myself, and don't have any semis. If thats the case would a company that I apply to find out about my failed test? What if I don't list my current company as a past employer incase their records or my boss spills the beans about the drug test? The experience I got there I assume wouldnt be considered useful anyway as it was only a straight truck. Anyways I understand that many of you may not want to help me, but any feedback would be appreciated. I want to know if I'm barking up a wrong tree by still having this trucking goal or if I can probably get into it without missing a beat. Thanks.
A Lot of people will Say "you want fries with that order" Meaning go work flipping burgers. Ok here is the way I see things
1 your employer did not fire you thats good
2. Go do the sap ok but do it for you.
3. your screwed for ten years at most places of work for driving. Thats how long it takes to get that off your DAC.
So stay were you are and stay clean from now till oh say your end of your life. Just learn from it and its not the end of the world just feels that way.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 PM

I dont known where you live.. but our company is looking for drivers a.s.a.p. We do not check dac and we dont care about your past. We are a testing comapany and all you do is drive 150 mile radius of Phoenix. No pickups or delivery. No hooking or unhooking. No backing up. (28 foot doubles) so you need a doubles endorsment. No log books. We work 11 hours a day 5days a week option on sat. $16.50 per hour time and a half after 40. You can start tommoro.....