User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question concerning log sheets.

Hey guys...

On my shuttle run tonite,I got to the warehouse,fueled,and dropped my set,and I went in the office to drop off my pre trip sheet,log from yesterday,and get the route drivers' paperwork. Well,I went to my box to drop off my log sheet,and I noticed a stack of log sheets clipped by a paper clip. That stack of log sheets had to been an inch thick. It had a post it note on it,and it read,"Mikey,please fill in the blank for the co-driver's info. DOT requirement." I was like,what a moron :roll: ,I dont have a co-driver. The supervisor that looks over the logs,well,he isnt all there. How he is a supervisor is beyond me. Anyway,I always leave that blank,because I run solo. My buddy Doug,who also shuttles,I told him about it. He told me that he writes, "N/A" on the co-driver line. I know that DOT requires us to write down the co-driver's name,but it doesnt say anything about running solo. My question is,and,Im going to get in touch with the DPS,and see what they say. Do I just write down "N/A" in the co-driver's line,and be done with it,or should I just continue to leave it blank,or what? :P What does DOT require for solo drivers,and filling out that co-driver's line?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Board Icon

Leaving the co-driver's line blank for solo drivers is perfectly acceptable. Your company, however, might require it, and then you must do it.

There are no FMCSA regs regarding filling in the co-driver spot, however, there are interpretations that show that you are not required to fill in some of the spaces on the log book that do not apply.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Rookie

I would suspect the answer you will receive is to write "N/A" in that space. Leaving a space blank will lead the reader to ask, "Is this space not applicable because this driver runs solo, or did he/she neglect to complete the information about their co-driver?" By seeing "N/A," the question needs not be asked. I think it's wise to never leave any spaces on this document blank for this reason. Writing "N/A" or slashing out a space on a document is good proof that that field was acknowledged and completed. Your logbook is a legal document and every space should be completed, appplicable or not.

Just my thoughts!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Rookie

i agree. i dont think there is anything that says you have to fill that in. however, your company sounds like they are anal in making sure everything is covered just to cover their butts in case someone comes and pulls all their records. it is a good idea for you too. just like with forged checks, things could be added to that record later if you put nothing. i would at the very least draw a line or put n/a. my philosophy is always cya!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I just drew a Line and was never questioned by the DOT about it
Old 10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Board Icon

Thanks guys. I talked to a DOT sergeant,and he told me what Rev told me. I can leave that blank,because it does not apply to me,but if the carrier that I am employeed by(he used some big words)requires me to write "N/A",or "None",etc,he told me that I probably should do that,because it is a carrier's requirement,and not DOT requirement. He then asked me if I have contacted my supervisor on this matter. I was like,"well,sir,the problem is,is that my supervisor doesnt know anymore about DOT regulations,than me." :shock: :lol: :P There was a quiet pause for a second,then he said,"hmmm. ok." :? :P I reckon,I can write "N/A" for the last month's log sheets,and continue. :roll:
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I worked for one dip sh!t carrier once that made us write N/A or none in the co drivers name space.

Of course some days I was really tempted to write Murphy on that line because while I was with that outfit if it could go wrong it did.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I worked for one dip sh!t carrier once that made us write N/A or none in the co drivers name space.

Of course some days I was really tempted to write Murphy on that line because while I was with that outfit if it could go wrong it did.
hey now-That's a Great Idea putting down Murphy. Imagine going into the chicken Coops and they tell you to bring in your Logs and they See Murphy under Co-Driver and they ask you about it and you tell them why you put down Murphy. They'd be falling all over themselves laughing and tell you to get the hell out of there :P