User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I worked for one of the major trucking company at JFK airport doing airfreight for 15 years. At least 10 of them pulling 53 footers. We were regularly leaving NY via 57th str bridge thru Manhattan, and north on 1st Ave to I 87 N and Cross Bronx - GWBridge. This way we were bypassing all tolls leaving NY. Also quite often it was faster way, than sticking to the expressways. Especially after 9-11, when cops were just sitting on Cross Bronx Expressway, doing nothing and blocking one lane, I was sometimes at least one hour faster in NJ than guys staying on freeways.

Neither me or any of my friends had any problems with that, but we all heard about others ticketed for it. I believe most of this stories are just rumors. If for 10 years on average twice a week i did it, saving $30 every time, I pocket $3,000 every year.

At night I saw many trucks doing this, especially garbage haulers, but others too. Some of them had 48 foot trlrs, but some 53.

Coming to NYC we usually run thru Verazzano Bridge on south side, again to save some tolls. On BQE is an overpass marked 12'2. Is funny watching those, who first time run with traffic, 50 mph and suddenly hit the brakes scared that they will hit it. Actual clearance has to be at least 13'8, since I have toll rubber and I'm little over 13'6 and never had any problem. NYC marks all overpasses 1 foot lower then actual clearance, but I have no idea why this one is marked that low.
:twisted: :wink: :lol:
Old 07-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapchap70
\Since there are a couple of posted clearances of about 12'9" on the Long Island Expressway, he must either use the service roads in a couple of spots or use a short trailer.

By the way, there are no warnings about these "low" clearances to exit and go around. I would be surprised if anyone did exit because the posted (legal) clearance is supposed to be one foot lower than the actual clearance.
None of the "low clearance" bridges on the LIE (I 495) or on the BQE (I 295) are actually low... although just in case I always get into the left merge lane going from the BQE to west bound LIE!

I have never encountered a bridge on any of my routes on the island or in the borroughs that is truly low... which doesn't mean a danged thing! I always stop and get out if it's a bridge I haven't been under before! And the only time I use the service roads are if there is construction re-routing traffic or for route 27 westbound before it stops being a parkway.

Happy ducking...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 AM
Rookie

Weird thing about New England states and posted clearances for overhead obstructions. They're measured from the height of the curb, not the road surface. I've taken 53 footers with 13'6" clearance requirements under overheads stating 12'10" clearance.

You have to questimate the height of the curb (or get out and measure it) and add that to the stated clearance to get the *true" clearance.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 AM

Would using one of those cheap laser measures; like one would use to measure square footage or distance inside houses be a good thing to bring and use to measure actual clearance?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapchap70
This would mean that the George Washington Bridge is a no no for 53 footers.
not sure thats true, The few times I've been through NY has been right on the gw
Old 10-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock
not sure thats true, The few times I've been through NY has been right on the gw
i think he's saying that it's a no no, whether it's followed or enforced is another thing all together. i myself have done it many times.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcso
Would using one of those cheap laser measures; like one would use to measure square footage or distance inside houses be a good thing to bring and use to measure actual clearance?
Haha, our trucks should have low clearance radars just like big boats have look-ahead depth sounders. That'd be a riot.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Rak
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcso
Haha, our trucks should have low clearance radars just like big boats have look-ahead depth sounders. That'd be a riot.
I looked in to this a few years but never carry it through. Main problem I see is setting the system. To be usable it would have to be mounted on the tractor (do to using different trailers). Ice and snow would have to be cleared off for it to work correctly.

kc0iv
Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Board Regular

I live in Albany NY. Low clearance signs are always posted 1 foot less than actual clearance this is true. however, if you see a sign in NY that says "Actual Clearance 12'9" then this is the actual clearance. do not add 1 foot to these signs.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
Weird thing about New England states and posted clearances for overhead obstructions. They're measured from the height of the curb, not the road surface. I've taken 53 footers with 13'6" clearance requirements under overheads stating 12'10" clearance.
If you mean NY, than yes, but i wouldn't recomend it in NJ, or other surounding states! :shock: :P