Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Apu (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/46205-apu.html)

Roadhog 07-27-2017 10:18 PM

Most of the OTR trucks I drove had a pair of 150 gal. tanks. You will need to go to a 100 gal. tank on the side you mount the APU for the space it will need.

I hardly ever used my APU. It comes in handy where you aren't allowed to idle your truck. Other than that I never shut off, so no need.

Mr. Ford95 07-28-2017 05:26 AM

Not really Hog, the ones I'm seeing now have them mounted right at the drives. And still have dual 150 tanks. Now, some of the ones on Walmart trucks have a smaller separate tank on the drivers side, you see 3 filler caps, 1 of which is blue for DEF. So they might have a smaller left side saddle tank than the right side.

Brian Junior 07-31-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 539600)
The APU was quiet compared to the TK. I never noticed the APU that much, especially parked with other reefers. :D

...now I am an insomniac. I have scars to prove it.

Do not think i need it badly, but now I would have bought the truck with it

GAnthony 07-31-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Junior (Post 539611)
Do not think i need it badly, but now I would have bought the truck with it

as i see it, with the costs of fuel, and engine wear and tear, if one is an o/o of either 1 to 200 trucks, that fuel cost escalates rather quickly.

i see it as a benefit, and i am only a company driver. with only 35 + years, so what do i know???

Roadhog 07-31-2017 11:42 PM

Here in the north during the winter months, our apu's kept our rigs ready to go, while we took our break. We see sub-zero temps at times and it's so nice returning to the truck with warm charged batteries, a warm engine block, and the cab isn't a deep freezer.

Roadhog 08-01-2017 12:20 AM

Mr.Ford, I'm not sure anymore why that configuration decision. The rig I'm remembering was a new Pete 387, which weighed a lot! Pulling reefer I was always maxed out for weight, and with some loads... I ran with 1/2 fuel to save on weight. So maybe the decision to trim to 100 gallon tank on the side of the apu, had to do with a weight reduction decision?

The scales did give us a 500lb. allowance for the apu, and I think the reduced fuel tank was also to help me balance my axles... which at times was a big challenge.

I can also see a wheelbase decision to go that way too. Some of our trucks we took across Ontario and Quebec, and if I remember right, they had a 245" WB restriction? Not sure if that matters. We used Rigmasters at that time. They would mount on the frame, just ahead of the drives like you said. We also had some trucks equipped with Webasto's.

Brian Junior 08-04-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 539601)
Most of the OTR trucks I drove had a pair of 150 gal. tanks. You will need to go to a 100 gal. tank on the side you mount the APU for the space it will need.

I hardly ever used my APU. It comes in handy where you aren't allowed to idle your truck. Other than that I never shut off, so no need.

And what about the gas station by the way?

Roadhog 08-04-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Junior (Post 539637)
And what about the gas station by the way?

I was being too literal...and you meant fuel station. :)

I shut down for lots of reasons, so now I regret posting mindless crap.
I should work for CNN. :D

firebird_1252 08-08-2017 12:07 AM

my tripac is hands down the best thing i ever put on my truck. yes, it saves a ton of fuel. i've recently done a reset in phoenix recently. 108* one day 109* the next. i had it set to 70, closed the curtians in the bunk it stayed between 75-78. thats in my condo sleeper columbia with little to no insulation.

winters.. the downfall is the trucks no insuation. if you close the bunk, put the heat on it'll hold for a few hours but again.. my truck is not insulated well. i've stayed in it with wind chills -15. truck will start right up.

with that said, i'm going in to another truck in the next few weeks. while i love tripac, the prices are high rightr now and i'm trying to save to for another trailer to higher some OO's. however, i REFUSE to idle if i dont have to. for now i'm doing a makeshift APU. got a 3000w quiet and efficient honda inverter generator. for an AC unit i'm going to do a portable home AC unit and vent though the window or bunk vent. for the heat i'm thinking about one of those dyson hot/cool heater. for keeping the batteries going i just found a battery tender thats a 5a charger/maintainer.

being i dont trust people anymore, there is a company that makes boxes specifically for the generator i bought thats also a locking box that sits on the side of the chassis.

we'll see how it works.

Brian Junior 08-21-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 539638)
I was being too literal...and you meant fuel station. :)

I shut down for lots of reasons, so now I regret posting mindless crap.
I should work for CNN. :D

You are right))