Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Radiator Troubles on my Pete (C16 Cat Diesel Motor) Thank you in advance ! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/44489-radiator-troubles-my-pete-c16-cat-diesel-motor-thank-you-advance.html)

Pete Troubles 01-24-2014 05:57 AM

Radiator Troubles on my Pete (C16 Cat Diesel Motor) Thank you in advance !

Greetings from TN,

Pressure builds up in Radiator, small amounts of water come out of overflow.
I put the overflow tube in a bottle of water and it made lots of big bubbles.
Also ice was freezing in the overflow tube. It is not using water,
there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil.
Ice freezes up in the overflow tube. It has antifreeze in it ... good to -40
and the temps here are approx. average of 18*... lately.
(recently got back from temps of 1-5*)
Today I put a new air compressor on it.

I'm open for any thoughts on this problem.
Thank you,
Sonny

Roadhog 01-24-2014 12:43 PM

Welcome to CAD! :p

My suggestion was going to be an air compressor with a blown head gasket.
You mention you put a new air compressor on…. :) and you still have the problem?

I did a little research what to look for next, and
--- check the jacket water precooler, next…. and hope it stops there.
--- it's after the turbo, so if it fails, it can allow boost pressure to get into the cooling system.

Pete Troubles 01-24-2014 02:52 PM

In ref to radiator troubles,

Roadhog,
I appreciate you taking time to research this issue...

I am unfamiliar about the water cooler after the turbo... (My C16 Cat doesn't have a water cooler after the turbo)
I do think a Cummins does have what you are speaking of.
I too thought it was a blown head gasket on the air compressor. Even after putting on the new air compressor,
its like condensation that's dripping from the overflow tube. Its not antifreeze, and its freezing, stopping up the overflow tube.

In all my years , I've never seen anything like it.
This is a busy time for me, so I took it on to the Cat place this morning...

Cat thinks it may be a gasket & liner on the engine ( odd because I'm not having to add water to it and its not using oil)

I'm stumped ! I will happily post their solution when they find one, hopefully to help out someone else with this same
odd problem.

Thanks again,

Sonny

Roadhog 01-24-2014 04:46 PM

maybe it's called a heat exchanger? :o

The next step I guess would be to consider the motor has a blown head gasket, or a cracked liner.

I agree with you, it's odd to jump to motor problems so quick. Maybe Cat is going for the worst case scenario.
Hopefully, they say, "found your problem, it's the do-hicky on the gadget, next to the turbo." :)

Maniac 01-25-2014 04:56 PM

Blown head gasket, if the water bubbles in the overflow botle

firebird_1252 01-26-2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Troubles (Post 528823)

Roadhog,
I appreciate you taking time to research this issue...

I am unfamiliar about the water cooler after the turbo... (My C16 Cat doesn't have a water cooler after the turbo)
I do think a Cummins does have what you are speaking of.
I too thought it was a blown head gasket on the air compressor. Even after putting on the new air compressor,
its like condensation that's dripping from the overflow tube. Its not antifreeze, and its freezing, stopping up the overflow tube.

In all my years , I've never seen anything like it.
This is a busy time for me, so I took it on to the Cat place this morning...

Cat thinks it may be a gasket & liner on the engine ( odd because I'm not having to add water to it and its not using oil)

I'm stumped ! I will happily post their solution when they find one, hopefully to help out someone else with this same
odd problem.

Thanks again,

Sonny

i'm with maniac.

how does it run while cold? when mine went i thought it was a bad injector. it would run like hell and smoke like crazy until it warmed up for 5-10 min. never added a drop of coolent, clean coolent nothing out of the exhaust. when it warmed up it ran like there was nothing wrong.

GMAN 01-26-2014 02:38 AM

I would think it was either a head gasket or cracked head. My guess would be the head gasket. Usually, when you see bubbles, it is the head gasket.

FleetCooling 05-15-2019 01:27 PM

Burping your cooling system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Troubles (Post 528820)
Greetings from TN,

Pressure builds up in Radiator, small amounts of water come out of overflow.
I put the overflow tube in a bottle of water and it made lots of big bubbles.
Also ice was freezing in the overflow tube. It is not using water,
there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil.
Ice freezes up in the overflow tube. It has antifreeze in it ... good to -40
and the temps here are approx. average of 18*... lately.
(recently got back from temps of 1-5*)
Today I put a new air compressor on it.

I'm open for any thoughts on this problem.
Thank you,
Sonny

It would be worth checking to see if you have some trapped air in your cooling system, it's simple and doesn't cost anything to burp. When cool, remove the pressure cap, and turn your heater on full blast (important, this is where the air gets trapped most of the time). Start the truck, and as your truck warms up, and the thermostat will open, the fluid level will drop. Just keep adding coolant until it can't take anymore.

That's the most simple and common problem with the cooling system and the cheapest to fix. If that doesn't work, there may be a more serious underlying issue to be looked at.

Regards,

John
www.fleetcooling.com