Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Insurance help! My rates have jumped thru the roof (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/44410-insurance-help-my-rates-have-jumped-thru-roof.html)

sc5952 12-21-2013 04:10 PM

The deal I'm doing I can put another 2-3 trucks on and keep rolling. If those are lease trucks 2 will help tremendously cover my insurance, I'll pay their insurance (cargo and liability). I figure that can at least lower my bottom line. Won't get rich by no means but will make bottom line reasonable.

GMAN 12-22-2013 12:27 AM

If you need the name of another insurance agent, let me know. Mine has done a good job of keeping rates lower than any others that I have contacted. I think everyone received a rate hike this year. I got hit last year and this year, even with no claims, clean mvr and good safety score. I actually switched insurance companies this year, but stayed with the same agent.

sc5952 12-22-2013 01:42 AM

GMAN Ill talk to my agent Mo day see if she's had any luck on better rates from any other companies. If not I'll be getting with you.

Scottt 12-22-2013 12:38 PM

I stayed with the same insurance agent and switched insurance companies and mine went down $70 a month this year. Exact same coverage.

Bigmon 12-22-2013 01:33 PM

you might also look at changing deductibles and some coverage you might not need.

sc5952 12-22-2013 04:27 PM

She's checking $3,000 deductibles instead of $1,000. That big claim is killing me.

merrick4 12-22-2013 05:40 PM

My insurance skyrocketed this year (for various reasons). I actually got the underwriter on the phone and he basically explained that for years there were a lot of companies in the game that underpriced themselves and now there is less competition and rates are rising. I my friends brother is a compliance consultant and he said supposedly it's no longer the DOT putting people out of business it's the insurance companies.

sc5952 12-22-2013 08:15 PM

No doubt. Obviously DOT can shut you down but if can't pay insurance you're done. Just makes it hard to lose a driver, well you can't really. A driverless may as well be sold as quick as possible.

Musicman 12-24-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo379 (Post 528187)
Try OOIDA, tho i agree with no worries, it's going to be tough.

OOIDA is VERY expensive. The Northland insurance I have now is $3k a year less than OOIDA and MUCH better insurance. I'd never reccomend them to anybody but an enemy.

Musicman 12-24-2013 02:40 AM

With those claims, I don't know who can help you, but I've been very happy with Buckner (The Buckner Company | Insurance, Employee Benefits and Surety Bonds) over the last five years. We were with OOIDA before that and they were ridiculously expensive and offered a substandard product.

If you're a NASTC member, they might be an option for you. They tried getting me to switch a couple years ago and were around $50 - $100 under what I was paying Buckner, but I'm too happy with the service I get from Buckner to ditch them for a mere $100.

Good luck.

Oh, if you call Buckner, ask for Kim Russell... she's awesome.