Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Home Equity Loan to buy Tractor Trailer - My Story - Scared (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/44390-home-equity-loan-buy-tractor-trailer-my-story-scared.html)

sc5952 12-04-2013 11:18 PM

Scott that's good advice. OOIDA is one thing but these places charging in ballpark of $1,500 to do what you can do yourself much cheaper is ludacrous.

CreepShow 12-05-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 527975)
Not to bud in, but I have been reading all the great posts. :)

I'm pretty sure you have to have a minimum of 25 posts to give or receive private messages.
That system is in place as a security measure.

Creepshow…make...

Ok thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottt (Post 527979)
Spend $25 and join OOIDA and have them guide you through it.

Thanks for the advice, had no idea.

solo379 12-05-2013 08:11 PM

Funny, but everything is not white and black. There are some other colors. I even remember it was a separate tread, "New vs Used", or something like that few years ago. So i don't want to start another one. Just a couple thoughts;- Main advantage of a new truck is that you know your cost at a start, and less posible downtime. Disadvantage- initial cost, and newer truck complications. Used truck main advantage is just a initial cost, everything else is disadvantage. BTW, did you look into gliders? But that's just a tools, it's not what you got, it's how you use it. If you doing things right, truck payment is a no big deal, if you are in a wrong, it won't save you, just prolongs an agony.

CreepShow 12-06-2013 02:22 AM

Is there a carfax type site for tractors / big trucks to check out the claims history? …… If your lucky.

firebird_1252 12-06-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc5952 (Post 527972)
From start of forms til the time I became active was 21 days. Do the stuff yourself don't have these companies bend you over getting authority for you.

is that the truth! it would have been about $200 cheaper and i ended up filling all the papers out anyway! they just mailed them in.

sc5952 12-06-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 527993)
is that the truth! it would have been about $200 cheaper and i ended up filling all the papers out anyway! they just mailed them in.

I don't remember exact cost but think I had $500-600 total in getting authority plus the insurance. May been little less or more. I learned few area I could've saved money too.

Scottt 12-06-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepShow (Post 527992)
Is there a carfax type site for tractors / big trucks to check out the claims history? …… If your lucky.

Yeah it's called take it to a dealer and have it checked out and dyno'd

GMAN 12-07-2013 02:19 AM

The filing fee to get your authority is $300 if you do it yourself.

GMAN 12-07-2013 02:23 AM

Buying new used to mean that you would usually spend less time in the shop than buying an older truck. That isn't necessarily true with the new emissions. A friend of mine was in a Freightliner dealer a few months ago and he was told that about 95% of the trucks in their shop were there due to emissions problems. And these were new trucks. A good used truck that has had good maintenance and been taken care of could spend less time in a shop than a new truck.

CreepShow 12-07-2013 04:57 AM

Any O/O in Lexington Ky area here that wanna talk about this? I'll buy an awesome breakfast.