Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   over weight permits (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/43647-over-weight-permits.html)

firebird_1252 01-18-2013 01:23 PM

over weight permits

how do i go about getting over weight permits? is there anything special i got to do with insurance? any restrictions? i may need the permits to go from ny to FL. this is a one time load also.

chris1 01-18-2013 03:23 PM

You can order direct from the state or use a service and pay extra. Are you getting just weight or size also?

Maniac 01-18-2013 08:07 PM

How heavy?

GMAN 01-19-2013 04:50 AM

Most states will allow you to order direct, but not all. You may want to get a permist service to do it for you, at least for the first time. I usually order my own permits from those states where I can order direct. I have a service that I use for those that I don't deal with directly. If you need a permit service I can pm it to you if you let me know.

mgfg 01-19-2013 01:34 PM

You will need ALL you dimensions including ALL axle spacings and ALL tire sizes. You request the routes and then the states looks @ the dimensions requested and compares that to restricted weight bridges, low bridges and construction zones. Most permits require a "Provision Sheet" with the permit. Read the permit AND the Provision sheet and be sure you understand everything. You may have curfews to contend with>be sure you know where county/city boundaries are.

firebird_1252 01-22-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 522669)
How heavy?

120k-ish. they're the big cat generators. gonna use the pete IF this guy comes though. that at least has the insert.. lol i'd kill the frame of my truck.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 522685)
Most states will allow you to order direct, but not all. You may want to get a permist service to do it for you, at least for the first time. I usually order my own permits from those states where I can order direct. I have a service that I use for those that I don't deal with directly. If you need a permit service I can pm it to you if you let me know.

if you could that would be great gman. this all came up while i was away. i asked my mom to look into it so my dad can do it if i cant. they told us we'd have to up our GVW to 120k and pay the taxes on that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfg (Post 522694)
You will need ALL you dimensions including ALL axle spacings and ALL tire sizes. You request the routes and then the states looks @ the dimensions requested and compares that to restricted weight bridges, low bridges and construction zones. Most permits require a "Provision Sheet" with the permit. Read the permit AND the Provision sheet and be sure you understand everything. You may have curfews to contend with>be sure you know where county/city boundaries are.

it is defintally not over size. 3axle rail container type thing. i do know gettin gout of NY due to the weight we MIGHT need to wait till midnight to leave for the bridges.

mgfg 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

A 3 axle self contained generator that weighs 120K>I'm suspicious about that.

firebird_1252 01-22-2013 01:17 PM

i was at first too.. but i've pulled them many times local. when i did the con-ed (nyc power company) lock out, we needed over weight premits to go over the varazano and outter bridge.