Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   well. i'm sold on cat (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/42558-well-im-sold-cat.html)

firebird_1252 05-25-2012 05:37 PM

well. i'm sold on cat

to say the least i was not the biggest fan of cat. always thought they were bad on fuel, expensive but puled well. anyway i bought mine it was a good deal. i was having some "injector" problems. after the last place i brought it screwed me good so i wont go back there and took it to the local cat dealer. he found 2 injectors not firing. swapped the injectors the truck was still blowing white smoke while cold. next step was to take the head off. all the bolts snapped in the block. anyway, finally got the head off.. what they found was.. the liners, pistons, everything in the head was shot. the thing was.. after the truck warmed up it ran dead on. wouldnt miss a beat, didnt use or burn any oil, never lost coolent. the guy at cat said he's never seen so much "carnage" and a truck run so well. with all that said.. i'm sold on cat. i went from a cummins fan.. to a cat fan over cummins!

BanditsCousin 05-27-2012 04:17 AM

Was it a Cat or Cummins engine in question?

firebird_1252 05-27-2012 04:19 AM

just sayin.. i dont think anytime soon i'll buy anything else then a cat.

Mackman 05-27-2012 04:28 PM

My dad always ran CATS in his peterbilts. Overall i think they are a good motor. But i still like my Mack Motors lol

allan5oh 05-27-2012 05:13 PM

I'm not sold on them at all, especially the ACERTS. A guy at my work just rebuilt his and it was around 28k. I rebuilt my Volvo and it cost 13k, and it's been running like a champ ever since. Hasn't been touched in 800,000 miles other than maintenance.

solo379 05-28-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 511729)
A guy at my work just rebuilt his and it was around 28k. I rebuilt my Volvo and it cost 13k, .

How did they say...You got what you paid for...?

firebird_1252 05-28-2012 08:17 PM

yeah right now i'm at 18k for the overhaul. the block has to be releaved, new head, piston kit, head gaskets, liners etc. i think they're all the same to overhaul now. i heard that the ISX is the most to rebuild now. i've been driving a pre egr S60..all i can say is i can not wait to get my cat back.

i'll agree you get what you pay for. i have drove almost all the big engines except the new paccar. volvo is on the bottom for me. but to each their own. :)

allan5oh 05-28-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 511766)
volvo is on the bottom for me. but to each their own. :)

Was it EGR or pre-egr? Vastly different behaving engines. Although I'll still agree the pre-egr ones are still pretty gutless.

firebird_1252 05-29-2012 04:19 AM

honestly dont know. it was a 04. had nothing but problems in it. plastic manifold cracked, awful fuel milage, no guts..

allan5oh 05-29-2012 05:15 AM

Yup that would be EGR.